Why dont Famous Musicians or Artists in general spend time in online forums?

I’m amused that someone who says he doesn’t care still took the trouble to resurrect this thread.

Adrian Belew posted a well meaning statement about Eddie Van Halen on the occasion of EVH’s passing and apparently got a ton of crap posts for his trouble. I don’t blame the famous for being reluctant to interact with Internet people.

3 Likes

People, collectively, are absolute shit on the Internet. I mean come on. Craigs lush beard is a lie.

Seriously though, my day job is a software architect for nearly 20 years now. I don’t go on any forums and I don’t post questions or answers. If I need something I find it quickly and get back to work. I can barely be bothered to read blogs on new things. And I have zero time during my work day for anything but my work.

These forums are my escape from my daily grind and making music is an escape. I’m not really that good and I think sometimes I like playing with toys more than I like making music. So forums like this are great. But I wouldn’t be here if I did it 60+ hours a week. I’d be growing in some other hobby.

5 Likes

Sorry to hear it. These same roving assholes on are disqus, etc. A person or persons with multiple accounts will flag bomb posts they don’t like and they disappear. This shit is breaking the internet.

On topic: there’s a Hartnoll on GS, he occasionally pops in to participate in threads.

1 Like

That is dope.

Midi controller on the OT for MPC style pad emulation.

The result with the dope rimes is even tighter.

No overbridge and still a nice polish in Live.

Nice inspiration.

1 Like

Definitely. His and SoTC and all those New York kids stuff is all great. Really forward thinking, sound collage shit.

I’m not sure how reliant he is on it but this bit here (24:54) sounds to me like OT timestretching.

2 Likes

…first rule in post goodold recordingbiz selfpromoting wonder land…

no lovers without haters…

while only trump says stuff like “if ur famous, they’ll let ya…”
all others feel free behind avatars and privacy…

and no boards of canada without elektron gear…
no autechre without elektron gear…
and the list goes on…

and as adamjay mentioned…it feels good to share knowledge…
and to take a little timeout at some forum from time to time…
everyone was once a newbie and needed help here and there…

but…there are not too many good forums like this one out there to find…

I’ve never heard any mention of BoC using Elektron. Happy to be proved wrong tho…

2 Likes

…well, er, boards of canada would also exist and doin’ fine without swedish gear, i guess and admit…

1 Like

there are lots of very well known people on this forum.

2 Likes

They’d still be reading the Octatrack manual trying to understand it.:slight_smile:

Cool track! Liked and subscribed.

Please, stick around after you blow up.

4 Likes

Same here! Let’s let’s get you going again!

2 Likes

Thanks, it’s one of the few I felt “came out well” even though it’s quite simple. As if though, I’m not into the digital side of life right now and the fiasco here proves why, and well, performances are nowhere in sight, as a non-established artist living in a no name beach town music doesn’t have much of a future for me. But I do for it!

I just finished rendering a quick video of my first take on synthwave/vaporwave… off topic though, maybe I’ll post it unlisted only for Elektronauts forums.

It’s the first track I’ve ever made with a genre in mind.

3 Likes

That was hella dope imho! :hushed:

1 Like

i’m not famous yet, but i noticed one thing.

once i’ve got gear setup i’m happy with — i lost my interest to hanging on forums.
because when everything works, there’s nothing to discuss.

8 Likes

Interesting question.
We are here because we lack a certain type of community to share our interest with.
I believe that artists who are succesful are so in great part because they have found such community around them in real life, so they don’t need such forum.

7 Likes

I see Stimming and Anthony Rother posting regularly (not here of course) and probaply countless others that are using a pseudonym.

Forums aren’t only about asking for advice and some users answer way more questions than they ask, if at all.

When I was into goa/psytrance years ago we had some pretty well known artists posting at psynews (and isratrance I think as well)

They still haven’t figured it out.

1 Like

100%. They are probably in regular contact with other artists.

2 Likes

He also challenged Point Blank Music to deconstruct Chime, so Ski Oakenfull from PBM did.

It wasn’t a proper deconstruction though as he sampled some of the parts, but got the job done.

I guess most people are too busy to use forums (I can go weeks away from them) and when we see what happened to Uli from Behringer on gearwhatsitsface, then probably better to avoid getting involved with hecklers when you say/do something stupid

1 Like