Why dont Famous Musicians or Artists in general spend time in online forums?

This is never discussed. But when do successful or famous people drop out of forums in their career. Is it lack of time or that they have ‘outgrown’ forums or maybe something else?

1 Like

Self protection. Read a few things on gearslutz once where the guitar player of thrice was answering questions. It quickly became to much and also much nonsense. And the same questions over and over.

Imagine what would go down if thom yorke would participate here.

15 Likes

Perhaps they’re successful or famous because they don’t waste their time hanging out on forums :slight_smile:

79 Likes

Right. Or recall Autechre on WATMM. Plus I’m sure they’re busy and they probably have a different set of people to talk to now, more in line with where they are in their lives.

7 Likes

I m actually an undercover superstar.

25 Likes

I will still hang out with you guys once I‘m famous. Promised :smile:

22 Likes

There probably are…does anyone really know who anyone else is on forums…

6 Likes

Plenty of people in a Facebook group I’m in.
Seen people like Chris lake heaps of others on there,
They are online like anybody else just certain groups

Maybe because forums are usually about asking for help and troubleshooting with gear and asking for opinions whether or not to buy one or other piece of gear for your studio. Since they have a lot of money and very little time, they can just buy gear without giving it much thought and have people like technicians or company reps teach them everything and work out any problems they might have. Thus, much of the content here would be irrelevant to them in that context.
Not me though, I’ll still check in here after going multigizillion platinum with my new hit “meth would’ve been a cheaper option than synths in the long run”

8 Likes

Aye that’s true. It’s great for ideas and inspiration as well tho!
Lol, I don’t think meth is all that it’s cracked up to be…in the words of Zappa its probably best to stick your money in your ears

1 Like

Steve Aoki or someone name checking him in a subtle way by referencing his label posted on the old E-Users. He had a question as I recall. As I recall the post seemed just like a regular post from a regular person about the regular little head scratchers we all have. So there are probably a lot more like that around here where the poster is not identifying him-/herself.

1 Like

Actually there are famous musicians in online communities and forums.
Some even under their artist name.
Probaply a lot more not using their artist name, though.

5 Likes

Oooh, ben jij het dan toch Sam Gooris?
:rofl:

Flying Lotus was on here at one time. Briefly. Complaining about the DT :joy:

Since Yorke mentioned this board in the Elektron interview, he at least knows of it. Not a far jump to lurking. And since he doesn’t read manuals we’ve probably RTFMed him a few times :joy::joy:

26 Likes

This is why they usually stay incognito:
https://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=102825
16 pages of nonsense replies!

4 Likes

Don t blow my cover please!

2 Likes

oh there’s quite of few here… I (sort of) disagree

(then I mean famous is a subjective word, what’s famous for one is probably not so famous for another one so - for me famous is someone making music for a living, perform regularly, release music of course and have a name… as I said in that regard there’s quite a few here)

also there’s a gap between perception and reality. (another debate)

3 Likes

a few years ago The Flashbulb did an AMA on reddit and then he stuck around for a bit. he posted a question about his new analog rytm and le epic redditors proceeded to mock him for asking a noob question, as if he should always be the expert on all gear. he stopped posting after that as far as I know. I don’t blame famous people for not making themselves known on forums.

8 Likes

to preserve the mystique and protect the techniques and system they developed.

2 Likes

Yeah i ve seen a couple of “famous” artist names on here. But i reckon most that come here just search for an answer to a technical issue and aren t looking for interactions.

2 Likes