Who's using an A4 cv to Modular?

I loved this!!! Great work!
What’s that litle box on the top side of the case? Clock unit (master from A4?)

Nedavine…I hate you… :–)…The thing I hate the most is how easy you make the modular world look, and your awesome composition. This site is slowly making me pull the trigger on a modular setup, and you and others are solely responsible.
Sincerely Thank You!!!

You mean the one with the red and white jacks going into it and all the stickers? If so, that’s the large tank for the springray. The small one is inside the case.
koorosh , it’s not quite as baffling as people would lead you to believe. It’s like elektron, people talk a lot about how complex the OT is etc, but it’s easy enough once you get the hang of it.
If you’ve got the cash, go for it. I am really enjoying it. Saying that, I’d enjoy a RYTM too!

No, i mean on the inside part of the top lid… hmm…

The tank is the only thing in the lid.

This is my modular http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view

Or do you mean the sky blue box thats inside the case because thats the small tank?

Just released a dedicated Eurorack module for interfacing with the A4/AK:

After using the A4 with my Eurorack systems for a while, I wanted to design something that felt more integrated, and didn’t require special cables or adapters. The TRS outputs from the A4/AK go directly into the modular, where they are routed to four 3.5mm outputs with bipolar LEDs for each CV channel.

If anyone is in the LA area Analogue Haven is have a modularfest and some of the elektron guys will be there hooking up gear.

Looks lovely. Nice touch with the leds.

Thanks! Yeah, the LEDs were a must, the A4 does so much that it’s easy to lose track of what’s going on inside the “black box” sometimes.

Nice patch Nedavine. Excellent track

Cheers man. I should be performing it at the elektron system exclusive in a more rehearsed manner.

btw, I just found this dude on youtube. he may even be around teh forum, I don’t know, but his videos/music is blowing my mind. Need to up my game.

I’ve ordered 84HP of modules. They’ll be delivered tomorrow, but local stores are sold out of cases and power (going for the HEK). Agggghhhh!@#$

Anyways, I was wondering if someone can run through a basic setup of how they’re splitting CVs and what it’s going to and what you’re doing with the A4 (envs?). I’ve got the cable situation all under control thanks to this thread. This would help me to hit the ground running! I think someone mentioned (in this thread?) that it took a while to sort out the setup so it’d be great to have a “how to” :slight_smile:

It’s depends what you want to do and what modules you have. Obviously, it’s different form track to track. For example, in that 10 minute challenge video the only thing the A4 is providing are two clocks at different divisions. Everything else is being done by the modular.

In other situations I might, for example, sequence braids from the A4. Let’s build a hypothetical patch to show what I would normally do. Sorry if it sounds to simple. I’m sure some of it you probably already know but lets keep it simple just incase there are bits you don’t get yet. Better to over simplify than over complicate.

So, to sequence braids I would first need to give braids my pitch data. So CV A would be set to 1v/oct. I would Take CV A and patch it into the 1v/oct input on braids.

Now I can play notes but there is no amp or envelope or filter so it creates constant notes that drone on. So lets patch the the audio out of braids into the VCA.

Now we want to create and envelope and there are two ways that we can do this. We could use an envelope form the A4 or we could use an envelope from the modular. Either way, we are gonna have to use a CV track.

OPTION 1: A4 Envelopes
For this option we assign CV B to a hz value and set that value to 0. Then on the CV envelope page we assign envelope 1 to CV B. We than plus that CV B into the CV in on the VCA. Hey presto we have an amp envelope. We can adjust the attack decay shape etc all on the A4 and control bits with the A4 LFO… The envelope will trigger when we trigger notes on the CV track.

OPTION 2: Modular Envelopes
In this situation we can take CV B and assign it as a trigger. We then patch CV B into our EG or ADSR trigger input. Now patch the EG or ADSR output into the VCA CV in. (forgot to mention earlier that the VCA bias should be set fully CCW so that the amp is closed when not receiving cv). Now when we play a note the trigger will fire off the envelope which will open/close the VCA. With this option we cant so easily use the A4 LFO’s etc to control aspects of the envelope but we can use modulation sources form within the modular.

After this there will still be 2 CV tracks free which you could use for any number of things such as clocks, LFO’s, a second sequence (using the FX track as the sequence source). There’s a lot you can do.
I hope this kinda helps with what you are asking. It’s a very vague question so I may have gone overboard with my explanation.
Cheers

No, this is perfect! This is exactly what I wanted to know :slight_smile: Many thanks!

I was totally into this when I made it, but it just doesn’t sound as good recorded. Warning - synth farts ahead. :wink:

Phonogene + Braids + Piston Honda, and lots of modulation and whatnot. Aimed to make my first generative patch that would sort of evolve itself, and it did, to some degree.

@nedavine

Why exactly would you set the CV track for the envelope to a hz value and not linear voltage? And whatever the reply might be; I presume the same would go for an LFO, with the exception that the range of the CV used for the LFO might be different?

@biologik

One quick thing I’d like to add is the use of mult(iple)s. I don’t know what you have arriving for your new modules, but one I find very helpful is the mutable instruments Links.

Links allows for buffered outputs, providing different ways of splitting, combining, or otherwise routing your signals. Other mults do the same thing, some less complex, some more so. Also, there are passive (no need for power) mults that can do the job as well.

Simple example: I have three main sources for pitched sounds: Morphing Terrarium, Braids, and Hertz Donut. I may want them to each react to the same pitch CV from the analog four–even if I have them tuned differently to each other. However, I do not want to use up three of my four CV outs, and thats where the Links comes in. I send one sequenced pitch CV to the 1:3 output option in Links, and I now have my signal to route to each of my modules.

Apologies if you know all of the above already! I just wanted to mention the utility that comes with something like this. I also may treat envelopes or any other modulation the same way; I just get more routing options if I can use a mult between A4 and the destination modules.

Sorry, I meant value lin. I wasn’t in front of my A4 and couldn’t remember off the top of my head.

Gotcha! :wink: