Who's Been More Influential: Aphex Twin or Boards of Canada

Pewdiepie

1 Like

As a very ignorant person in this area of music, I really donā€™t know on what Aphex Twin influenced other artists. But, here and there, I think I realize some artists influenced by BoC.

I definitely feel that ā€œbroā€ audience base ha. Something about a secret evilā€¦
Your partner sounds awesome.

Personally Iā€™ve connected more to Boards of Canada :slight_smile:

Attitude, mostly. He picks some sonic territory to explore, and then covers half the possible ground with an album and a few singles before anyone else even realised that place existed. And he does it in the most extreme ways. His records were (for years, maybe still now) faster, noisier, quieter, funnier, more choppy, more still than anything you heard before that. And then his next offerings are quite different. Alongside all the noise and glitch and experiments and screaming acid he has an amazing ear for melody, bassline and makes good arrangements. And his media game is very strong.

6 Likes

Through my brother, when I was in middle school I had access to Music Has The Right To Children as well as a swath of great Aphex albums (I Care, Ventolin EP, Ambient Vol. 2, RDJ Album, Windowlicker EP, etc.) as they were released / distributed in the US. Devoured all of it. BoC only got a spin or two, and if Iā€™m being honest, back when it was first released my takeaway was ā€œitā€™s pretty and vibey but thereā€™s not much going on otherwise, kinda boringā€. Whereas seemingly every single Aphex release that came out completely broke my head open and forced rearrangement of its contents in new and perverse ways. Itā€™s very hard to adequately state how completely next level and unprecedented each one of his releases were for that particular period. Unfuckwithable. And basically an entire burgeoning genre was forced to contend with that. Mediocre artists tried to copy (and failed); better artists realized they couldnā€™t compete and took left turns down different roads to claim other spaces and territories. But everyone was aware of and forced to reckon with his body of work. For like a full decade at least. While doubtless inspiring many to pursue a wobbly, off-kilter, hauntological approach to sound design, I highly doubt BoC can claim anything similar.

4 Likes

I had to scroll back to the top to make sure this thread wasnā€™t 20 years old :rofl:
I love all this music posted but Iā€™m pretty sure it stopped having much influence on music or culture years ago

3 Likes

I think BoC had a lot to do with vaporwave, which in turned spawned all sorts of hazy microgenres (and yes pedals).

While Aphexs influence might not be obvious, we all know how many people cite him as an influence.

But Autechres shadow will cast long, I feel.

1 Like

Back in the before times, when we worked in offices, I wore several ā€œbandā€ shirts to work - a high growth SF tech company:

• Boards of Canada: people told me they didnā€™t realize I was Canadian due to the lack of accent.
  • Aphex Twin: ā€œoh cool, I love Half Life too!ā€
  • Nine Inch Nails: ā€œgreat band, I went to EVERY SHOW they played in [year]ā€
15 Likes

Ive been caught in the boc net for years. I think its a curse in some ways.

4 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s right!

10 Likes

I love both, but think RDJ for sure. There may be more output that sounds like BOC, but I think thatā€™s because their noise-washed nostalgia is more easily accessed than the wild variety and dense beats that RDJ exploded everywhere. Additionally, as mentioned above, RDJ also has a great feel for melody and counterpoint that is surprisingly deepā€¦I think a lot of artists are deeper into RDJ, even if they donā€™t know how to do with what they hear in terms of adapting his output into their own music.

I am trained as an architect, and I sort of see RDJ in a way a bit like Frank Lloyd Wrightā€¦he was a peer to Modernists, super prolific, and obviously a genius, but also very much a one-offā€¦no one was really going to be able to easily adapt his style as their own. He affected a lot of other architects, but stylistically no one really knew where to put him. He isnā€™t really even taught very much at university because he was so weirdly on his own.

15 Likes

Love this post

In the broader world of music, I think Aphex Twin has probably a greater influence on subsequent musicians.

Personally, BOC has influenced me musically. But Aphex Twin has traumatized me, especially his album covers, so thereā€™s that to consider.

3 Likes

I do think in some ways, aphex twinā€™s music is more complex and difficult to emulate. On a shallow superficial level, BOC is easier to imitate.

Instant answer is Aphex Twin - however on second thought I canā€™t think of too many he has directly influenced. Heā€™s likely inspired many but not sure on the influence.

3 Likes

lol

Serious question for anyone who was there:

Was RDJ an inspiration and an influence back in the day, or was he more of a cataloguer? Did everyone follow him, or did he follow everyone?

I hear tons of braindance guys these days! Which I love!

I would say BOC is/was more similar to other types of music (feels crazy derivative to me), but braindance is/was something wild and new (IMO), and it was pretty much Rephlex innovating a ton.

Whether you consider RDJ as a whole or only Apex Twin is a question too. I just love Rephex.

1 Like

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Aphex Twin

2 Likes