Who's Been More Influential: Aphex Twin or Boards of Canada

Who do you think has had more of an influence on sound and music of the past 15 years?

autechre

23 Likes

Steps

5 Likes

no one has been more influential than “Smooth” by Carlos Santana featuring Rob Thomas of Matchbox Twenty

29 Likes

The numbers don’t lie

49 Likes

JS Bach

4 Likes

Kraftwerk

6 Likes

Close, I’d lean BoC.

1 Like

I was gonna say maybe autechre but I don’t think they have the same broad influence the other two do. I dunno I’m just bored at work.

2 Likes

But the thread isn’t titled who gets the most plays. Influencing other artists is a whole other thing, I’d think

2 Likes

To my knowledge Kanye hasn’t reappropriated any BOC tracks for his own evil purposes so I suppose Aphex wins there.

4 Likes

out of the two…

AFX - Most influential
BoC - Most Bitten

16 Likes

Buble succeeds in influencing people to listen to him

2 Likes

As a Canadian, I have to say Boards of Canada, and regretfully I have to point out that Michael Bublé is also Canadian.

10 Likes

man o man am i upset there isnt a repeat of this for christmas 2021

Ooof Buble and Dion. Purest Evil.
What an image.

1 Like

Would you rather Drake and Celine christmas?
Maybe a Double B Christmas? Buble & Bieber?

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever listened to a BoC album from start to finish. Not my bag. Though Aphex worship is IMO fairly annoying. How the hell do you measure influence anyway?

3 Likes

Yeah, I’d stay that is probably correct, BoC is most often the “I made a thing and it has a BoC vibe”… while AFX is more so hugely influential on IDM in a general sense. Not that both weren’t important, and even though I love BoC in my mind they are more of a blip on the map that has a diehard following than hugely influential. Some people might mistake some retro revival inspired stuff as influenced by BoC but I’m not really sure on a lot of it.

5 Likes

V/oct

16 Likes