Which successful DJs use the OT live?

Most successfully DJ use DJ Controller like Pioneer CDJ…but not the OT. Do you know some persons who use the OT on live shows?
I mean not Chenk.

I use it :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

A couple months ago I saw a guy called Latex DJ with 2 OT MKIs in Bali, Indonesia. He might not be big worldwide, but seem to be quite popular in Indonesia.

This guy (he is not using an OT in this video, tho):

4 Likes

Good DJs I know use vinyls, not CDJ.

I used Tracktor for weddings, I’d definitely use Octatrack today. Megabreak of Doom!
Ratm vs Bboys

4 Likes
6 Likes

Awesome! I´d love to see you doing youtube tutorials…

1 Like

OT and a Virus, 1h boiler room set

1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

I think Demdike Stare use two Octatracks sometimes

1 Like

And Vessel does it with one :smile:

2 Likes
1 Like

Why do people conflate DJing with playing instruments live?

To clarify, one involves playing other peoples recordings, the other one doesn’t.

14 Likes

Yes @Microtribe, really different approach!
I was writing this.
DJs or Musicians? Need to change the tittle or move topic?
Interesting videos but apparently no DJs.

A disc jockey , more commonly abbreviated as DJ , is a person who plays existing recorded for a live audience.

2 Likes

Interesting Octatrack DJ set example.
Atch is playing tracks from CF card with static machines. Samples are played manually, Track + Play or trig 9-16, with Atributes Quantize.

3 Likes

Do you mean DJing as playing other people’s tracks? Or playing their own music live?

Because there are a lot of guys doing live shows with the OT, but I haven’t seen many using it for actual DJing.

I’ve had an itch for doing that (DJing with the octa) for a while but I always find that the timestretching algorythm is a bit lacking when playng a track at a different tempo. This can be solved by warping track in Ableton, but then you are a stuck to a specific tempo (or a range)

And moreover, there is absolutely no equivalent to Rekordbox on the octatrack or Elektron environment, no way to create playlists, tags or save sets as on Pioneer machines, everything is managed in folders in that box, while being able to have advanced way of searching for tracks in your Library (like by mood, tempo, genre, all those combined) is a great asset for a DJ.

Also, looping in real time like on the CDJs is missing, and extensive use of neighbour machines as well as a MIDI controller are almost necessary to have the same amount of control as on a DJ Mixer

On the other hand, Pioneer equipment is super expensive, and if you already have an OT and want to try DJing, it can be a great thing to embrace its limitations and take advantage of its strength to create an other way of playing and blending records!

2 Likes

Not as convenient as dedicated tools, but possible with Arranger > 8 x 256 Rows, with Reminder lines.

? Not missing in Octatrack!
8 recorders, quantized or not!

1 Like

Sure!
What I meant is that you don’t get a looping function similar to CDJs where you can go in and out of a loop with the push of a button, and stay “Inside” the loop while it’s running. On the OT you can use a recorder and the transition trick to create a loop, but the track will continue playing in the background and if you want to get out of the loop, it will be in a totally different part of the song

Yeah, not easy but doable. A lot of preparation is needed with DAW for perfect stretching, If you want to match tempo.

If you just want to play songs out of sync it is not that difficult.

You have 8 tracks. Each track has a default sample slot. If each sample slot is in a different folder with specific tracks, you can select the next one in the folder easily with Fn+Track, or select manually.

1 Like