Which Elektron device has the best reverb?

I thought the the DT and DN had higher FX processing sample rates than the AR, A4, AK, and OT.

I can’t find Ess explaining that, but I could have sworn it was somewhere on the forum. :face_with_monocle:

See this tread: Two Coldfire MCF5441’s inside

Unless I’m missing something, I think the parameters are the same.

1 Like

dont matter set the bad boy to INF and away yoi go

Yep they are definitely the same parameters.
Otherwise the shootout / comparison would have been impossible to do.

2 Likes

I also have the perception that DT and DN reverbs are different and more detailed. I also like A4 more and AR less. But I guess it’s only because of what you feed the reverb. I think (for my taste) the algorithm just works so good on crisp and clean sounds with are DT and DN.

The reverb was one of the reasons why I switched from AR to DT some time ago (switched back already since). And I work almost only with samples on AR, the same samples as on DT… But the analog path vs higher sample rate makes samples sound very different on AR and DT. I love the AR sound, but I love the DT reverb…

1 Like

OT plate verb is deffo my favorite… love putting that on percussive samples and fiddle with gate time… in fact I love all the effects on OT due to its modulatable nature…

I haven’t quiet dug into A4s fx section yet.

2 Likes

Both play 16 bit/48 khz mono files - I guess gainstaging, levels, how you use an effect, what type of sounds you use and even if you use the same sounds/samples, how you treat them before sending them into an effect (e.g. analog filter vs digital filter) can make quite the difference.

This is exactly what I meant. even if AR is the same sample rate… I’ve spend time trying to copy patterns from one to another. same samples, same settings, playing next to each other… sound very different! and as such the reverb too
The overdrive is such a big difference too! I actually like DT overdrive better than AR

1 Like

for me:

• A4 mk1 reverb sounds great, it is also nicely feedbackable
  • DN not that much

There are also probaply differences in how gain related controls are parameterized (for example an amp volume of 100 on one device does not nessecarily mean that the result will be the same on different device if turned up to 100) and in general differences in the gain structure itself.

But I’m pretty sure the UI/UX also has an impact, basically how we approach a certain instrument, how we interact with it.

1 Like

My favorite is the DT reverb. For the last year I’ve been using mostly the OT and I’m very happy with the dark reverb, but I’d prefer to have the reverb from the DT.

DN/DT sound prettier but Monomachine’s reverb has the most character imo.

Having all the other parameter pages available (amp, effects, filter, lfos) and p-lockable makes MNM’s reverb very flexible as long as you don’t need something pristine sounding.

I have to agree there is something special going on in the Digi series that is different than the analog series.

Digital input source hits the algorithm differently.

1 Like

I need to mess around with this.

Took me a long time to realise the reason that the ARmkii reverb never “sounded right” was because of me not de selecting the legacy effects toggle on every track in every kit…once i did that it was like somebody took a blanket off the effects…and it then sounded like the A4mkii reverb…

Um what where is that?!

In the Sound Settings.

1 Like

I feel like the reverb on the Digitone and the RYTM are very similar, I couldn’t tell the difference between either… the Octatrack’s Dark Reverb was awesome, wasn’t a fan of any of the OT’s other reverbs though.