Elektron Reverb Comparison

I did a bit of a simple onboard reverb shootout between:
Analog Keys
Analog Rytm
Digitakt
Octatrack MKII

The results:

I found that the DT’s reverb is about as similar as it can be to AK / AR.
Where as OT’s Dark Reverb has a mid forward resonance ring to it that is unique among the four.
Which is better is entirely subjective. Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right.
I do enjoy modulating the Time/Shvg/Shvf parameters on OT’s Dark Reverb, using LFOs and conditional trigness locks.

The DT clip illustrates a high/mid forward push in the dry sound (sample). Certainly adding to the “hi fi” sound the DT is becoming popular for. On the Rytm, these frequencies aren’t as forward, though the peaking filter can remedy that.

About the comparison:

Original source is an Analog Keys synth patch. Audio recorded with Allen&Heath Qu-Pac.

REVERB SETTINGS:
PRE (when available) = 0
DEC/TIME = 105
FREQ = 80
GAIN = 80
HPF = 40
LPF = 127
VOL/SEND/MIX = 127

TRACK SETTINGS:
LEV = 102
VOL = 107
REV SEND = 127

42 Likes

thank you for this

1 Like

it also seems to me that the OT Dark Reverb has potential for longer decay… and also a wider range of variability in the long decays whereas A4/AK doesnt have as much variability in the long decays, but rather more variability in the short decay stuff… purely in terms of how the TIME/DEC knob functions on each unit … also worth noting the OT has 2 other kinds of reverbs, and they all have additional setup type options on a second page as well

however, in general Id say the A4/AK reverb is much more “instant gratification” in terms of dialing it in… the OT verb can get super crazy in ways the others cant, and that means you have to be much more precise in dialing in any kind of “musically proper” type verb

Thanks for comparison, they all sound nice. It seems like the OT colors the sound a bit more, which I dig. Do you have any more examples of the OT dark verb? I’m actually getting a little tired of the hi-fi cleanliness of the DT reverb. Perhaps I need to tweak it a bit more.

Laso, with 2 fx slots and neighbor tracks, you can pile up a metric ton of extra processing to an OT reverb… So definetely the most flexible one!

a steepr lpf should help with that

the OT is probably the most flexible multi-FX unit in existence… and thats my favorite use for it by far - although I do use the sequencer and sampling at the same time as well, the FX and the scenes and all that is the big deal for me, and its really big…

which makes the OT unreplaceable… (so far)

1 Like

Nice Thanks!

Thanks. To me, they all sound nice.
The Dark Reverb sounds far better than its reputation

1 Like

Dark reverb doesn’t have that dense diffusion that the others do, but that also makes it quite unique. I’m glad we have multiple flavors.

I kinda wish AR AK and DT were a bit more different from one another.
Good thing they’re so usable, though.

Does anyone know if the Digitakt and Digitone reverbs are the same?

They are.

2 Likes