What's your TECHNO setup

It’s crazy! I’ve stopped leaving mine plugged in the power when I’m not using it. That seems to help slowing it down.

2 Likes

I’ve only got a small room, so I’ve got two of these. One on the left and one right.

https://www.storedj.com.au/search?ProductSearch=ONS-KS7903

2 Likes

Don’t feed it after midnight, no matter how much it begs.

I did upload to the main thread, but I removed the A&H. After a bit more playing around with the Soundcraft mixer, I was able to get some better stuff out of it. Nicer even, maybe just different. It has some weird quirks compared to the AH, but I think it could be interesting.

I moved the one of the laptops down to a table on the left, so I can sample from the PC (direct to MPC via digital from tomorrow) and access Softube Modular via the Roli Lightblock.

Got a Boss MD-2 coming tomorrow, hopefully. Plus a Mooer Yellow Opto Comp pedal too. I think I missed out on some good Lexicon rack deals over the weekend…but tbh I’d be happy enough with TC Electronic on for now. Also, still, waiting on extra cables to wire it all up…

The MPC is set up to be able to trigger any of the instruments. It can record the velocity sensitive note repeats right into DT using autochannel. It’s quite handy being able to autochannel record in and then use the Elektron interfaces to edit. It even goes to the hidden laptop. I can also sequence the MPC from the DT if I want.

The DN is split into left and right, one through each channel of the 3630. If I see a really really cheap graphic eq I’ll get it for sidechain eq.

I can sample anything direct from the mixer into the MPC. Plus the Microvolt direct to the DT and i’ll set one of the channels to record direct to DT as well.

For a couple of months I’ll just be looking for outboard bargains. I was going to go UAD, but I’m going to scrap that and just try and get some good hardware instead. It just fits in with what I want better and around the same cost in the end. (probably)

Also, plan to start pimping out the MPC visually pretty soon. Might go all black + bright yellow hints.

Like this, but better

13 Likes

It’s crazy…

1 Like

Awesome, thanks! That’s a really interesting setup. So you layer two kicks drum? Is that for transitions between tracks?

My Dark Trinity (Rytm, A4, Digitone). Best techno setup I have had in a long while… very versatile(and all running USB… no 1/4 inch in the whole setup!)

20 Likes

Mbase is for the lower low end. The kick engine in the AR is high pass filtered and with overdrive for some dirt. So I do not loose the bottom end while saturating. In the sample page is something attacky noisy. And compressor in the AR is helping a lot to glue it and keep it punchy.
Also together with BT or dualVCO you can get some really cool rolling kick-bass-lines.

3 Likes

This is brilliant. So the Mbase’s signal is hot enough for the AR’s quiet input?

Very nice!! Looks very much like a Blush Response setup, especially the eurorack modules.

What’s the point of the mixer then, if all your instruments are going into your DAW through USB?

1 Like

Feel and sound… everything runs into the DAW, and the out through USB to the mixer(so I can add more custom non digital FX’s if I wanted to for example, and I also get the sound of the mixers EQ when I record back into the DAW via USB…) This setup allows me to have the versatility to add non USB audio gear later if I wanted… but I think really enjoy the hybrid setup I have. I do agree you could keep all the mixing in the box… but where the fun in that?:wink: You could also get a digital fader controller but I didn’t see one that I liked at the time(or was any where close to the price point) and would more then likely just upgrade to the SI Impact mixer if I wanted a change.

Hope that answer your question!

1 Like

Do you output all channels to the mixer, and then just record the master? I have the same mixer.

MBase is loud AF :metal::headphones:

2 Likes

Mbase is really loud! In the AR level is ok, could be a little bit more but in my case I only use the sub information. Can further push it with 96‘s eq and HP Filter w/ resonance.

2 Likes

This weeks setup.

15 Likes

Correct, I have all my Elektron boxes setup in overbridge to use the individual outs and route them to a corresponding channel in ableton and then to the mixer(nicely bussed as well)… then record in the master of the mixer back into the computer. This give me the flexibility to add TONS of VST FX’s on each channel and still be able to use the great EQ’s and faders for mixing down the track(and like I said I can either add the mixer FX’s on top, or additional FX’s). I think its a very nice mixer with a ton of features especially for the price point!

3 Likes

I’m trying to replicate similar live workflow as him indeed :slightly_smiling_face: He’s such a huge source of inspiration for me.
This pattern based set up is very convenient for quick improvisation as long as you have recorded enough patterns and have set up your kits into the Rytm. Limited modulations force me to play a lot with my two hands.

1 Like

In addition to above, I’ve got the Roli Lightblock via mio/bitwig running into the 2nd MPC midi in so I can play any instrument and record semi MPE into the MPC or directly into the Elektron devices.

I can also record softube modular directly into the mpc via the amazon digi interface using this really good, almost free app. It’s like the Gig Performer Unlocked PluginAlliance do, but $2, it was free,

This is is how I feel right now…

1 Like

Can you explain what this allows for as a non-DAW VST host versus just hosting the VSTs in the DAW?

I’m unsure what this allows for that was not possible before and curious what this would open up for a different workflow.