What's your TECHNO setup

That’s a tricky question as there’s probably loads of ways to use it.

The way I use it, is as well as Bitwig. So one of my mixer sends goe to bitwig, via the E-MU card.

Then I can use this and a totally different device, in this case the super high end amazon basic HDMI splitter. Each device/software has it’s own midi set up and latency settings, not combined like ASIO4all, so I can use the intended drivers (for both). So everything can achieve it’s lowest latency/highest sample rate.

Also, it’s just a lot lighter and you can save the the entire set up with routing. You make the set up once and then it’s done for good.

There’s all the funky stuff you get in apps like this when you can route the left/right/multi outs through different chains, there’s some midi stuff in there too. You could do that in most daws but it’s slow, in this you just choose the patchbay window and click.

1 Like

Came across this briliant recent set from Robin Kampschoer using Rytm mk1, dB 4 mixer and laptop, well worth a watch

13 Likes

Thats bangin. Great minimal set-up. Great Techno

1 Like

slaps!

1 Like

Thats superb.
I have so many questions…
What’s the laptop doing if anything?
Is the DB4 also acting as midi controller?
Is the whole thing coming from just the ARmk1?

1 Like

He just talked about this setup in the last knob Twiddlers hangout. Answer to this I believe was yes!

2 Likes

Not sure, he’s got faderfox on the rytm, the db4 can be mixer and soundcard and controller so he’s probably got some stems in Ableton or something in the laptop and maybe using the db4 as controller and mixer for everything. The db4 also has 4 loopers and 4 effects processors plus filters, eq etc and seems to be the centrepiece.
Always wanted a Db4, this takes it over the edge but it’s so expensive .

1 Like

That combo of the AR, Faderfox and DB4 is killer!

Yes, i thought that as at one point I saw him bringing in a hat on one of the channels of the DB4 but could’t be sure if it was from the AR or something running on the laptop.

1 Like

AR is definitely running a lot of the drums, can tell as the pads light up, definitely using Ableton because just watched another video from a few years back where he uses 909 and tb-03 with db4 and Ableton definitely on laptop screen

So good.

1 Like

Just this pair of total nerds, as of late.

Using OT by itself a lot, recently. Hitting my stride with it has my MS collecting dust. I’ll get back to the MS some day. The workflow and capabilities and results are so very different.

Keeping the Typhon near by so I don’t fall out of love with it waiting on for the MIDI sync firmware update. Now sequencing it with OT (and recording loops) in the meantime.

15 Likes

I bought an M:S recently… But always just come back to the OT. Gonna have to spend a couple weeks just concentrating on it. It’s fun…OT tho. Glad your hitting the stride.

1 Like

Bumblebee :+1:

Thanks!

It’s definitely a box that has tiers of enjoyment.
The thing I’ve noticed now is that the less you become intimidated by it, the more you explore it and allow it to wow you.
Been getting some real wonky triplet swing using time stretch settings lately, and also exploring FX I wasn’t that into before.

The spacializer is super underrated, and definitely requires scenes to fully appreciate.

I used to be frustrated by the FX count and track count limitations. Now I am finding 6 tracks for audio, 1 for looping, 1 for master FX is actually in the “Goldilocks zone” for what I really need. MS’s 6 tracks might have helped with that a little, but being able to fully exploit OT’s capabilities has made it true for me. Especially for techno!

3 Likes

I’ve cut back to a pair of nerds as well! :smiley: Digitakt and Prologue 16 right now. I do think I need to add a bassline synth though. I sold off the ones I had recently. The one that stood out that I should have kept was the Erica DB-01. That would complement this setup perfectly.

1 Like

Get into that prologue unison!
One thing I like about unison synths sampled in mono (DT) is how much power they have for bass lines. No stereo trickier to fool the ears, just a dozen or more oscillators of total power!

2 Likes

Right? I don’t know about the effects count, but I am at the point where I can basically get anywhere in the machine I need to without thinking, and I’ve found my workflow that works for me, kinda like my MPC2000 from 97, but Octatrack.
On Wed, I threw myself into a situation that needed to happen. I did a live set with just the OT, MnM and the Blackbox for synth backing tracks. I had nothing really set-up, so i just winged it. Lot’s of cueing. 3 acidy rythmic synths on the MnM and 3 BBox machines on the MnM, all 8 steps… And I could just so easily get fnky things happening on both devices. With a little more planning, I think I’ve got my liveset done and I would be proud to play it.
I’m taking my M:S up to the mountains to friends house next week and I’m just gonna try and get feel for it… see what it brings to the table. Work around with the cntrl all thing, maybe make a couple banks of patterns and then hook it back into the system. Possibly input into a track on the MnM, so I can use those filters…
Anyways, TMI, but OT effects are rad. They may be outdated, but so am I… And for Techno, if it they fixed the mute tail thing it’d be done. Put a bow on it.

3 Likes

There we go, updated again. Sold the Digitone to another member here. Got the Pittsburgh SV-1b Blackbox this morning. I have both the Microvolt and The SV1 with a mono in to the mixer each and the SV1, atm, routed straight in the RME through mono fx and straight back in on a 3rd channel.

The Lightblock is connected to Unfiltered Audio Lion, as that has possibly the best MPE support, latency is so low, maybe 2ms. 1.09ms reported for audio. I’ll keep complete, but I just want to focus on that one bit of Software, it reminds me of a new version of Absynth, shame it can do sample playback, but it can do insane stuff. I can record semi mpe into the MPC as well.

The Lexicon is on aux 2 with just the wet signal ran through the Alesis 3630 atm then back in to the mixer.

That’s an old early 90’s Spirit Folio, quite funny looking it’s wider than it is tall, sounds really nice to me, better even that the A&H Z10 I tried briefly.

Got the MD-2 and the Rat, not so sure I need them now after hearing the SV1 through the two layers of Microvolt distortion…

7 Likes

4 Likes

You monster!

You legend!

8 Likes