What's your all-time favourite DRUM Machine?

Same sound engine but less tracks, less connectivity and less direct controls. I don’t care too much for less tracks or even less connectivity (there’s plenty of effects onboard), but less knobs is the deal breaker IMO.

1 Like

In a lot of ways I feel like the Machinedrum is the only true answer for me, although reluctantly.

No other drum machine comes close to the Machinedrum in terms of vision and scope; no one has succeeded in making anything as futuristic or capable since. The ambition and execution is simply amazing for its time and place. However, it’s far from perfect, sonically and culturally I think it’s been showing its age for a while now.

My main gripe might be the sound itself; while the sound engines are plentiful and interesting, few of them really appeal to me. In fact, a lot of them feel superfluous. I feel like less quantity and more quality in the engines would have improved the experience and usefulness (and longevity) greatly. I realize it’s perhaps unfair to say this in hindsight, and to some extent I think its success comes from this excess of depth to explore– but…

Perhaps my issue is not really with the Machinedrum itself, more so that it never got a true successor or competitor. Neither from Elektron nor anyone else.

So, for now it will have to unfortunately remain my favorite.

38 Likes

I’ve never used a TR-8S, but I bought the TR-6S specifically for its size, and because it had enough of the 8S for my purposes. But it’s not my only drum machine.

1 Like

I’ve never even seen an SP1200 … but I really want a go.

The Roland TR909 will keep the throne warm.

As someone who’s nuts about drum machines it’s an impossible question to answer definitively. It’s like trying to name my favorite band or food. However, if for some terrible reason I could only have one it would probably have to be the armk2. There are plenty of things it doesn’t do but for my purposes nothing can dethrone it for the happy medium of utility, workflow, and sound.
That being said, whenever I hear this question posed my knee jerk answer is always the korg er1. It’s like directly manipulating a cartoon. It just doesn’t have the features to be the one and only across whatever genre I might meander into on a given day. If korg had made an erx it might have been the one.

2 Likes

You should check out the LXR-02 thread here on Elektronauts

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/erica-synths-lxr-02-desktop-digital-drum-synthesizer/

i would say Pulsar 23.

but the thing is i equally hate it as much as i love it… it can really be a pain in the ass sometimes and im not a fan of the “pre routed” sounds, for me i really have to use a lot of clips to get something that blows my mind… but then again, not a lot of stuff blows my mind these days.

2 Likes

I own both, and the LXR really feels like a tiny MD, with distortion, and with less useless synths engines.
You’ll love it !

4 Likes

i think the LXR-2 is really interesting, but i havent seen a compelling demo of it. everything is just harsh over saturated hardcore tracks.

2 Likes

I think my seriously honest answer would probably be any drum machine run through an Analog Heat.

9 Likes

Struggling to see a problem here…

13 Likes

The only problem with the LXR is that now I want a Perkons.

5 Likes

Alesis HR-16. Or was it SR-16? I forget.

4 Likes

2 grand tho…

same :laughing:

And add another grand to make good use of these inserts.

1 Like

Can’t answer this as my drum machines will all gang up on the favorite. :loopy:

4 Likes

That poor, poor Rhythm Wolf

5 Likes

I’m really looking forward getting a Vermona drm1 mk4 when they’re available again. Does anybody here have any experiences with one?
Up till know my Digitakt is my favourite ‘drummachine’.

1 Like

I have. I still haven’t been sold on it yet. haha.