What's your all-time favourite DRUM Machine?

I gotta go with the Digitakt. It’s the center of my studio for good reason. Can’t beat the combination of sampling and midi sequencing in a tidy package.

1 Like

Linndrum of course.

3 Likes

Armkii with guitar pedals on the individual outs

1 Like

AR MKI forever!!

3 Likes

From a nostalgia viewpoint, I would like to believe it is the Alesis HR-16B, which is the primary drum machine used on my House and Techno tracks in the early 90’s.

However, in spite of not being the most often used, the Elektron Analog Rytm MKII Black is realistically my favorite drum machine ever owned. It’s not perfect, but an overall solid drum machine.

4 Likes

AR for overall functionality
Tanzbar for sound

2 Likes

MFB Tanzibar. Sad that Manfred Fricke the founder and inventor passed away.

3 Likes

Agree with that!

1 Like

I gotta disagree with this take. The DT is an awesome machine, but it lacks the immediacy and performative simplicity of the TR-8s. They are very different, and the Takt out-performs the 8s in MANY other areas, but as a drum machine… The Roland wins and it’s not even close.

Put me down as another vote for the TR-8s.

• edit - I should qualify this and say that I totally respect the fact that other people may not feel the same way. I don’t mean that the TR-8s is objectively the best drum machine, but it is absolutely my favourite.
6 Likes

Machinedrum UW

2 Likes

I personally have had a LOT of problems when shipping to Belgium in the last 6 months so maybe the seller has had similar issues. I sold a couple of rare-ish books to a guy in Belgium on ebay and Belgium customs kept them as pending for 8 weeks and then sent them back to me claiming that the buyer refused to accept them which was completely untrue… he wanted the books that he had paid for so why would he reject them?. My ebay seller account was suspended and then permanently closed due to this, even though the buyer fully understood the situation and came to my defense. I then tried sending the books to him again only for the same thing to happen again so I lost £34 on postage. I also was wrongly charged vat and import duty on a repair of an NF1m from Modor, even though the package was clearly listed as a repair so it seems there are issues when posting to Belgium at the moment.

2 Likes

But otherwise. The Machinedrum I briefly had was indeed a beautiful instrument to play with; just couldn’t justify the ever-skyrocketing price and needed other things for the studio than just one silver box.

3 Likes

Digitakt

1 Like

Model:Cycles, easily.

Second place is between Octatrack and MPC1000.

Third is between Volca Beats and PO-12.

1 Like

I would like to add to the already overwhelming pile of votes for the Akai Tomcat.

11 Likes

Is it OT to quickly ask all you TR-8S people…how do you rate the TR-6S? The form factor is so appealig

1 Like

Digitakt

Larnell Lewis on a drum machine;)

4 Likes

Never sell a MD or a MnM. Never.

9 Likes

PO-32 / Microtonic … I’d pay a princely sum for a more robust hardware version of this, but from what I understand the the mighty little PO is a real achievement of software engineering and sounds absolutely huge.

10 Likes