What's your all-time favourite DRUM Machine?

same :laughing:

And add another grand to make good use of these inserts.

1 Like

Canā€™t answer this as my drum machines will all gang up on the favorite. :loopy:

4 Likes

That poor, poor Rhythm Wolf

5 Likes

Iā€™m really looking forward getting a Vermona drm1 mk4 when theyā€™re available again. Does anybody here have any experiences with one?
Up till know my Digitakt is my favourite ā€˜drummachineā€™.

1 Like

I have. I still havenā€™t been sold on it yet. haha.

NGL itā€™s the only straight up drum machine Iā€™ve bought twice.

1 Like

I received mine yesterday, so I only have a first impression. Size and weight are perfect to travel with it, and to put it in your lap. Sound is amazing. The lack of more direct controls affect live performance, but itā€™s doable. Creating a rhythm pattern is super easy, but sound configuration (LFO, FXā€¦) is menu-divy (or you can use a computer). All in all, I think itā€™s a great drum machine for the price, not so versatile than a digitakt, but more focused as a drum machine.

2 Likes

To which other drum machines have you compared it to? Iā€™m interested in getting oneā€¦

Iā€™m suffering the same problem. Had mine for at least 10 years and it seems like the longer I use it the narrower my scope as I keep filtering out sounds. I think with the going prices it may be time fore me to sale.

This is probably not a very popular opinion but I love the Kastl Drum more than any drum machine Iā€™ve ever played. Granted, Iā€™ve never owned any other drum machines (just samplers) but I really love the Kastleā€™s lo-fi sound and unique workflow. It has a lot of limitations and yet itā€™s surprisingly versatile, if youā€™re thing happens to be tiny modular boxes that make clicky abstract beats and noise loops.

6 Likes

would love me some of these pocket operators and Kastle modules. Complement to my OP-1, TB303 and TR0-8 for mobile battery joy.

1 Like

I too love the Plumbutter, and have spent some time in Modular Grid trying to replicate it in Eurorack form, but itā€™s really hard. You could use Grids to sort of emulate the Rollz circuits, you could ping filters to make Gongue sounds, some white noise for the Snare, youā€™d need lots of VCAs, a few oscillators for the Deerhorn and AV Dogs, not sure about the Ultrasound, sequencer, audio inputs, etc. etc.

Youā€™d need a gigantic case to account for all of the functions, and the end product would still be a bunch of disparate parts rather than a thoughtfully-designed, cohesive system of inputs and outputs. Nevermind the fact that it wouldnā€™t sound anything like the Plumbutter. Itā€™s a special one.

2 Likes

I really wish I wouldā€™ve cared about Ciat-Lonbarde when Peter Blasser was living a few miles away from me. The price increase that occurred when he moved to Berlin has made it harder for me to afford his instruments, but they sure look cool, particularly the Plumbutter.

2 Likes

Agree. I feel like its popularity is surely leading towards a spiritual successor from at least another manufacturer, if not Elektron themselves . The LXR, ND and Volca Drum clearly demonstrate that thereā€™s a market for digital drum synths so hopefully we wonā€™t have to wait too long.

2 Likes

Whoa, thatā€™s cool that you lived near him! Heā€™s a fascinating dude.

The Ciat-Lonbarde stuff has gotten really pricey, but if you search on Reverb thereā€™s a guy who makes instruments based on Ciat-Lonbarde circuits for a pretty good price (heā€™s currently listing a Rollz/Gongue box for $400). I havenā€™t bought from him but weā€™ve exchanged messages and he seems really cool, he can customize your instrument to whatever combination of Plumbutter-ish machines you want.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, Iā€™ll them out!

2 Likes

crucFX EuRolz - Eurorack Module on ModularGrid There is this for getting some rolz into euro and several other adaptations if I remember correctly.

But yeah the sound is too unique to get a replica of tbh, the pb is a good value compared to euro you if you like all the componentsā€¦ same with coco. The tag on them is high but depth and not worrying about voltage ranges or whatever makes them way more fun to use from my experience

1 Like

My Octatrack -and a 64GB CF loaded to the gills with samplechains of Acidlab Drumatix, 909, 808, A4, Rytm, tt-606, FR XS, Nord Drum 2, Dinkyā€™s Taiko, etc etc etc.

Loads of pattern memory, flexible FX, endless joy.

14 Likes

Machinedrum UW no question. Thereā€™s certainly things I wished it could do sequencer-wise (like everything the AR does) but even without that thereā€™s just no competition in the drum synth world.

4 Likes