What's the Digitakt II going to replace in your setup?

So the bomb has been officially dropped. What are you anticipating the DT2 replacing in your setup? For me it’s my Toraiz SP-16 (whose massive 44.1 library I’ve made over the years to be converted over to DT2 stereo 48khz) as well as the original DT, AND the DN (I’m more into plugins for digital synthesis these days…)

How about you?

4 Likes

It’s replacing my DT1. I need longer stereo samples for my setup. Love it!

10 Likes

when I buy one? my 2 digitakts.

9 Likes

My broken digitakt 1

2 Likes

DT1 for sure. I currently leverage the TR8-S pretty heavily. There’s just way too much control over performance for me to give up.

One thing that I would love to see on the DTII is the ability to treat the track pages like the variations on the TR8S. If I could run a 64 step pattern, quickly copy page 1 to 5, edit page 5 while the 64 step sequence is running, edit page 5 without it needing to be part of the active sequence, then cutover to it…well, TR8S would likely be shelved.

The fact that I can very quickly copy variations around, play specific variations (and not just starting from the first one in a contiguous fashion), edit variations that aren’t playing…I can just quickly evolve drum patterns on the fly.

/endtangent

OTMKII won’t be going anywhere that’s for sure. I would love to see if and how they iterate the DN. Still enjoying it and not quite ready to part with it.

4 Likes

If my DT breaks I will defo get one, I was thinking about getting one along side but I fear having two sets of muscle memory running at the same time might be awkward.

2 Likes

Replacing DT1 and OT MKI (I have OT MKII and Syntakt).
Felt cramped with DT1.
Keeping OT MKI as a card reader would be sad…

I think I will keep Blackbox for Multisampling and midi overdub, sell MC 101…

3 Likes

Damn it… their website has been hugged to death with a 504 error. Anyone know where we can see the specs and price??

what does replace mean, is it some gen-z term ?

16 Likes

DT1… in time. As cool as it is, I don’t think it could replace any of my other gear, but it would be a nice improvement in areas which Digitakt already covers in my setup - main sequencer, drum machine, bass and some mono synths, which currently mostly do special effects, but DT2 could do some leads too. This would free some tracks on MC-707, so I could use them for effects.

It might surprise me though, just like DT1 did, so…

It moves my Octatrack to strictly mixer/FX box duties with the EZBOT templates.

7 Likes
3 Likes

Nothing tbh.

The digitakt is cool and all but the sample memory is way too small for me to use it as my main drum machine. Not having a memory card (or very large internal memory) and not having compression are deal breakers for me.

My personal sample library is around 40gb mostly of one shots I’ve made over the years, it’s a must to have that library to pull from for me. Even Koala sampler on my iPad has access to my full sample library and as a bonus has a compressor which really should be a must for every drum machine.
It’s too bad because I really liked using the sample engine in the analog rytm. I’ll be sticking to my Octatrack and SP404mk2 for now I guess.

What do you mean by no compression? Digitakt has a master compressor.

6 Likes

The compression has been there for a while on the master output… as far as memory I’m also at more than 20GB so I’ll be parsing thru my library to only move the sounds over that compliment the workflow of the DT2. No need for 10 minute field recordings and such.

6 Likes

In my setup, this will be replacing:
DT1 & MPC Key 37, DN, DFAM, ARP2600m
I realize that there are many things that are in the set up above that the Digitakt 2 has nothing to do with, but… I’ve been wanting to shrink things for a while.

Capturing stereo from the modular into DT2 to then push and pull it around is what excites me the most.

My setup will now be down to:
DT2, Syntakt, Push 3, eurorack, TD-3 MO

8 Likes

I’m kinda moving that general direction too. It sorta dovetails with getting a new M2 Mac that can run a large amount of VSTi’s that would crash totally my old system, so going to lean on those for digital synthesis and use hardware for analog synths and distortion units, and the DT2 as my one sampler. That’s my tentative plan, but a lot of it depends on how well the DT2 actually replaces the SP-16 (in terms of the things I care about anyway… I already know I’ll miss the screen, pads and output filters.)

3 Likes

Ah, that’s how you get them stereo samples.

2 Likes

lol

Same! I recently replaced my old intel mac mini with a mac mini M2 pro. Really loving using some vst’s for polyphony, as well as max devices such as the Fors stuff.

2 Likes