What's the Digitakt II going to replace in your setup?

Digitakt I, Analog Heat +FX, Octatrack MK II … though I still look forward to the s-4 (and just ignore whatever Demo is coming out for it :zonked: )

9 Likes

nothing waiting to see what OT MK3 shows up

6 Likes

Oops my bad I was reading the specs and didn’t see a master compressor.
That’s good that would have been a very stupid thing to omit.

Still the memory limitation does it for me. Unless it’s a vintage piece like an old MPC or something very niche like the TE stuff then I can’t really do it, not if it’s supposed to be a center piece of kit.

You can now route any Tracks, inputs and send FXs to the Compressor. Perfect for sidechaining.

In part because of the routing capabilities to the Compressor?

Here the DT2 is already largely replaced by the machinedrum / OT / Rytm combo.

Also waiting for a new octatrack more than anything.

8 bars is cool, 1024 sample slots is cool, deeper CTR-All is cool. Only 30 mins of sample space for a project isn’t. It’s a good upgrade but doesn’t replace the OT in the ways that matter. Scenes and streaming large bits of audio.

Never say never though, might get one one day.

4 Likes

In the past year I sold my OT2, AR2 and A4. D2 is filling the hole left by that trio. I’ll most likely keep my D1. It did not suddenly turn bad just because D2 was announced. I like the workflow of Digitakt. Looking forward to DTone2 being announced. … Someday.

1 Like

I just don’t like to have gear hanging off of other gear :S (and of course money is a reason, that’s three expensive devices.)

I actually never use Compressors, the only exception being on the Rytm, which is not really an exception since I use it with settings that act entirely as parallel distortion without compression :wink:

5 Likes

Probably my Digitone, if anything. Might seem counterintuitive I know but 99% of my DN usage is for big washy stereo pads through the lovely DN chorus. I also run my Hydrasynth Desktop into the DN as the DN delay, reverb and chorus are way better than the Hydra’s onboard FX.

I’m now thinking that my Hydrasynth will become stereo sampling fodder for the DT2, I know the Hydra inside out and it is pretty much the most versatile subtractive synth I’ve ever owned. I will also use iPad soft synths as a sample source for the DT2, especially the TAL UNO Juno plugin which honestly sounds better to my ears than any Roland Juno plugin I’ve heard.

I’m heading towards a DT2 + Syntakt (which I will never sell, love that box) + Hydrasynth combo with iPad for certain plugins, sound sources, YouTube crate digging etc etc.

I’m leaning towards keeping my OG DT if I can afford to, either to use as a poly sampler with Retrokits or as a straightforward but brilliant drum machine to complement the DT2.

4 Likes

Keeping my Rytm MKII!

I’m happy to see that many little things from firmware 1.70 got implemented in Digitakt II, even some larger ones like kits. But the analog machines of Rytm are just a sound source I can’t easily replace. Even samples sound fantastic on it thanks to analog filters and master compression.

Plus I’m one of those people who actually love the performance pads. Add to that the expression pedal inputs, separate outs, QPER = Rytm is a live musical instrument. I’m very happy with it.

But again, Digitakt II is a fantastic evolution, bringing a lot of what I like about Rytm, and making other stuff even better. Retrig configuration, trig conditions and fills are easier to use, “Sounds” should have always been called “Presets”, that makes it much more obvious. And so on, and so on.

So yeah, happy to see the new platform bootstrapped so nicely!

9 Likes

I wanted something with a looping feature. It just sounds found and transforms the machine.

1 Like

It will replace my DTmk1 when the Digitone and the Octatrack will get the same awesome architecture…

I could not be pleased to have this great DT II and not being able to have the same ease of work on the other machines of the setup…

Gotta be patient then.

For me it’s replacing DT1 to sit alongside ST, Nymphes, and some semi-modular. For a long while now I’ve been contemplating upgrading the DT to OT, but this does more of what I want for a midi brain, idea and sound recorder/designer, in a familiar and sleek package.

DT2 gets around most of what I’d found to be limitations (mono, track count, fx, expressive playing, kits) on DT1 after a couple of years of learning and use.

3 Likes

currently i’m planning that it replaces nothing… not my OT not my DT MkI

OT still has some different features. And DT MkI i’d keep as backup… maybe when going to a jam or so - as i don’t see the point selling such a great device for 350€ (lowest used price i have seen recently)

1 Like

yes! Rytm is here to stay <3

and i love performance mode so much, it was a big reason for getting one

4 Likes

I wish…I WISH… I loved the Rytm sounds. Because the amount of performance abilities on that thing are second to none! So many options, so many possibilities.

I wish there were more boxes with those options.

Control All is fun and all(“oh! All the fun of performing live with this thing but without requiring the foresight”)

But there’s only so much you can do with Ctrl All, for everything else there’s Mast- Performance Macros

1 Like

Hoping everything except my synths and string instruments.

Congrats on being featured in the product launch :heartpulse::heartpulse::heartpulse:

I was curious if you might know whether or not the new DT ][ will work with the LoopCloud service the way the original DT does after the 1.5 update…pitch shifting drag and dropping samples and all that coolness.

Many thanks!

Loved the track by the way. Great work.

4 Likes

With a 128-step sequencer, I think it’s replacing everything.

4 Likes

My tuba.

3 Likes