What's next for Elektron?

I get the idea, but my guts don’t like the idea about Elektron venturing out conquering unknown territory on a new software heavy adventure :expressionless:

1 Like

I’d much prefer that they stick to audio. Video synthesis is cool, and there are other companies doing it well, but I want Elektron focus on what makes them special, namely instruments that have a ton of depth and a well thought through workflow.

4 Likes

with analog filter, a hybrid

Just catching up on this topic and chime in on what I think may be clues to what Elektron is working on next.

As of 3-4 months ago they had job postings up on several sites (including their own) for software engineers who could write code using the Rust programming language. The two postings were for a Rust Graphics Engineer and a (generalist?) Rust engineer.

The job postings have since been taken down, but persist in Google’s caches:

Rust Graphics Engineer, rustjobs.io
Rust Engineer, elektron.se

The “Rust Graphics Engineer” postings lists “Deep knowledge of modern graphics APIs and Rust” as a requirement. Under “Preferred qualifications” in both postings, they list embedded Linux as a desired skill. For the “Rust Engineer” posting, they also include “Network Programming” as a preference.

Given these details, I would guess they’ve started work on something that will feature a screen with graphics more sophisticated than LCD or OLED sprites and bitmaps.

I believe use of embedded Linux would be new to Elektron products as well. Some comments on this topic suggest that embedded Linux is not likely even on products as recent as the Digitakt or Digitone.

In my opinion, the use of Rust is not a significant indicator of what they are building. Rust is likely going to replace some portion of C or C++ systems-level development in coming years. I’m guessing they’re just taking the opportunity to use new tools on a greenfield project.

The big question mark for me is the “Network Programming” part. Will their next product include some way to network together? Maybe Ableton Link support? Connect to some Elektron cloud service?

Thanks for reading.

19 Likes

A sequencer to compete with the Squarp Pyramid would be cool. If they could get the price below 400 that’d get my attention. Personally I’d like to see Elektron break out of the patterns-only mentality. Imagine tracking an entire album with an Elektron sequencer and a couple of their grooveboxes. Or complex polyrhythmic or extended live loops during a set.

4 Likes

A sequencer to compete the Cirklon, which could actually be bought without several years of waiting would be cool.
Putting a polyphonic sampler into that box wouldn’t hurt either :content:

9 Likes

Dawned on me last night (and I don’t know why it took me so long) that the lack of a polyphonic sampler in the Elektron world is insane.

4 Likes

this! I would really like to see

2 Likes

My local canadian instrument store has just reduced the price of OTMK2 by $150 and is now labelled “low quantity” vs “In stock” from last week.
The same thing happened with the RYTM/A4 Mk2 both getting marked “Low Quantity” about 3 weeks ago and then set to “clearance” and then a few days later the black MK2 were announced.
Possibly something coming down the line for OT? :smiley:

5 Likes

Let’s hope so, I want an octatrack but I’m holding out, not gonna get my hopes up though

2 Likes

Perhaps a good old mk2 with black face, and little os update.
I don’t think that there will be a new box.

1 Like

Do you think instrument stores would know any more than us about Elektron plans? Sounds unlikely to me.

Did you see what happened at the Model Cycles release ? Most of the retailers had them in stock even before they officially announced it, so it would be available in the stores the second it’s announced . It’s very possible as long as they respect the confidentiality in the contract.

2 Likes

I’d be happy with an OS update full of features I didn’t know I needed! Audio over USB would be insane, but I doubt that one…

2 Likes

Yeah, audio over usb (and midi) would be great.

2 Likes

Yes and no.
If you’re distributing/selling anything you need to know what it is.
The other side is perhaps elektron have said “we aren’t sending any more” and so its been marked low stock and put on clearance as in their eyes its discontinued.

It’s obv conjecture but fun to think nonetheless and thats what this whole thread is - Mostly baseless conspiracy/ wishful thinking.

Maybe give them a call and ask.

1 Like

yea i think if anything itll be black box + trig preview functionality of some kind.

1 Like

Hopefully some Page light fixes to make them more distinguishable from each other too :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Maybe some sort of Elektron-DAW and a bigger hardware hub - an audio-interface?

1 Like