When will we see a new elektron product?

of course, I understand that but iam looking for the opportunity of „what if“ they‘ve rebuild the mk2 structure for a better compatibility within their product range!?

the USB Audio doesn‘t come from nowhere or has been there since 2013, did Someone actually open the MK2s ?

The Usb audio comes from the usb controller chipset. It was in the product roadmap from the inception it just wasn’t announced until later. Not only that obviously for an analog device to have audio over usb you need AD converters built in they wouldn’t be able to add that kind of thing in firmware that’s physical design.

Several people have taken their mkiis apart. I don’t believe I’ve heard of anything resembling additions to the board besides the stated ones. New physical outs and higher bandwidth usb for overbridge

2 Likes

Of course it doesn’t. Since at least Overbridge and the digital FXs were part of the very first design the additional steps to USB compliant audio wasn’t that large. To oversimplify it a bit: it’s “just” another type of wrapping the digital audio streams.

While the USB chipset does parts of the heavy lifting the processor is also heavily involved.

That’s the reason why the MK1 units haven’t got USB compliant audio. They are using a different USB chipset which needs to be programmed/controlled differently. While it is theoretically possible to use it for USB audio the additional effort to develop and maintain it separately wasn’t worth it for “out of production” devices.

1 Like

Lord have Mercy!

don‘t get me wrong it’s not that I think the A4 isn‘t complex, for me personally it reminds me of the MD workflow where every move you make on the machine Leads to even more interesting results, fast.

drifting from a deep Bassdrum into a melodic Elektronesque chord with the subs set to 5th on one track is just pure joy.

as always a few few additions would bring this to another level, even if it’s just a sine wave output from the oscillators or a hold function for the keyboard and a plockable Arpeggiator :exploding_head:

Your hopes may already be dashed:

1 Like

This behemoth of a meal is an invention of the Tre Kronor restaurant from the Swedish town of Skellefteå. It consists of a calzone pizza that is stuffed with hamburgers (along with bread, toppings, and dressings) and French fries.

The calorie-laden dish was originally invented for people who could not decide whether to get a pizza or a hamburger after a night of heavy drinking.

:laughing: Sounded kinda good but then I saw photos.

2 Likes

poor calzone.

like a doughy turducken

1 Like

a few ideas

HEXADECATRAK = a big dedicated midi & CV sequencer x 16 MIDI tracks with 128 steps per track, more sequencer options, maybe track machines (euclydian, fugue etc) like a mono machine but for Midi and CV out puts. Song mode + USB hubs built in for devices and hosts,

DIGIMIX = compact Audio mixer, Analog heat built in plus swappable FX slots (like Korg NTS types)

DIGITONE KB MAX = Digitone with x16 voices split between x2 machines (like Novation Summit) in a standard KB format (not stretched)

DigiWAVE - Digitone format with Wavetable engine

DigiGRAIN - Digitact format with true Granular engine

1 Like

Elektron need to embrace;

• Touchscreens
  • Micro SD Cards
  • USB C
  • FPGA
  • Open API / SDK
  • Third Party Integrations
  • SSD drives
  • Bluetooth
  • Wifi
  • Cloud based Sample resources
  • MPE
  • More than just x8 of anything
3 Likes

100% agreed on everything except cloud-based sample resources and such when a SD card is enough and touch screen when smart UX+knobs are enough

I disagree with all of these points (except maybe USB-C although I don’t really care about that)

6 Likes

Please, a sampler without removable storage seems crazy to me. Probably just spoiled from having the option on other samplers but having to use an app tethered to a computer is no fun.

That’s more the Akai’s line

maybe more of a automatic cloud backup of presets/kits/patterns etc

• Touchscreens- HARD NO. I hate touchscreens so much, thats why I buy hardware in the first place. Elektron makes solid machines with good buttons and switches, don’t f*** around with the formula.

• Micro SD Cards- YES, and stream directly from the card in the case of samples.

• USB C- YES

• FPGA- Not really useful unless they are going to make a VA synth, which they shouldn’t.

• Open API / SDK- No, they should focus on their carefully crafted UI and workflow, don’t open the door to all the bozos

• Third Party Integrations- absolutely not, this ain’t no playstation

• SSD drives- would be cool but not necessary

• Bluetooth- hell no, who cares

• Wifi- no way, no IOT surveillance capitalism in my music. NONE!!!

• Cloud based Sample resources- not important, just focus on an easy way to transfer samples to/from your computer.

• MPE- YES

• More than just x8 of anything- probably a good idea, although think of how confusing 16 tracks of sound locks and p locks and probability could be.

6 Likes

so? its 2021 all sample/seq manufacturers are heading this way

I’m so not up for that man ^^

2 Likes

Apparently not Elektron, Polyend and such. It’s not a judgment, just an observation.

:100:

Making music on an iPad is grim compared to an Elektron device with its lovely buttons and encoders. Even a mouse and keyboard combo is massively preferable to a touchscreen device.

11 Likes