What's next for Elektron?

That’d be excellent, but Syntakt still doesn’t even have a basic chorus effect. I’d just be happy if the FX track could be triggered by other tracks.

Prediction.

Next year, Digitakt and Digitone mk2:

• Both inherit the Syntakt FX block for processing samples/FM via the analogue filter, drive etc.
  • Both (plus Syntakt) inherit a new FX algorithm from the +FX (wobble, bass focus, SRR stuff something)
  • Aesthetic refresh to match Syntakt (screens, text etc)
    (* Possible stretch to 4-voice polyphony on Digitakt sample tracks)
    (* Possible stretch to 12-voice polyphony on Digitone)
    (* Possible stretch to MIDI arp on Digitone)

Just having fun so let’s be chill but maybe rooted in some semblance of ‘oh maybe!’

5 Likes

The old Elektron filter would be nice to have on Digitone.

The famous ‘elektron sequencer’ is showing its age imho and becoming average.

Probabilities over pitch
Conditional p-locks
Modulatable pattern lenght and other pattern parameters
Midi arp
Some generative features
Performance features like loop sequence points, non destructive variations of sequences
CC naming

Digitone:
More/user waves. Just by adding this digitone would become a new instrument

No Need for 3 hardware, make a single with upgradable firmwares, users can buy what they need and mix them in a single box. No one can perform on three boxes in a significant manner, but imagine having a single box with the Power of the tone, and the two takts.

From the Elektron perspective that’s pure profit, less expenses, repairs and so on. This would also stop the practice of giving half baked features to not cannibalize other products in the line.

9 Likes

I wouldn´t write it of. I have no Idea how it´s build, but could be modular, so you could switch the parts. would make sense, why not?

Definitely not modular inside there.

2 Likes

I’d agree. Elektron Sequencer is becoming obsolete, like all the new sequencers demonstrate (OXI, T-1, Hapax and all the innovative modular sequencers). It doesn’t quantize scales like you would expect to, it lacks generative features, no touring machines, no euclidean mode, etc… It’s clearly lagging behind. I don’t even use it for p-locks anymore since I have got my T-1 with 16 tracks with 16 touring machines each assignable on every CC.

4 Likes

Sad, should not have been to hard to switch a Software Part in there. In the AH FX you can switch positions of analog and digital parts… So they do stuff like that. But if you say it´s not possible here…

Yeah, it’s a really cool feature of the AH +FX that it can do that, and it would be cool to have something like that in the Syntakt, or like neighbour oscillators from the A4, but I don’t see it being a possibility.

Could be wrong though.

1 Like

Well I can set the scale, fold the keyboard then mash the keys on live record mode.

Basically the same as a Turing machine.

6 Likes
5 Likes

Well, dataline plays in its own league. Still he’s not really performing the instruments like

he’s barely touching the Rytm and the a4, octatrack Is Just crossfading/mixing… My point remain valid imho

2 Likes

Elektron sequencer is absolutely fine and a workhorse for production. Some improvements could be made for previewing logic operations like 8:8 without having to wait for the sequencer to reach 8:8, etc.

Things that are in Cirklon would also be welcome.

I’d say if you are not getting any results with the sequencer as is, it’s probably time to refine your sequencing skills.

Also sound locks… how is that dated when no other device, expect for BS2 AFX mode, has such a powerful preset sequencing integration.

There are plenty generative options out there, I personally have zero interest in seeing that in the Elektron step sequencer because… it’s a step sequencer.

8 Likes

Things that are in cirklon are things I listed in my post

Where did I say that?

It is, this doesn’t mean it could be improved in many many ways and that is behind new sequencers like polyend play, oxi, hapax, cirklon, vector and so on

Basically any sequencer with program changes. The Elektron sequencer is not some sort of magic, it’s just an horizontal tracker

4 Likes

Of which there are not that many out there in hardware that let you send program changes on a per step basis.

I’d argue it’s more than just horizontal tracking as parameter locks are quite different from adding a few step based commands that have been pre-chosen for you by the devs.

2 Likes

lol this is true

1 Like

For me, I would like to see some kind of monster hybrid of the Analog Keys, Analog Rytm and some kind of sampling capability.

I really love the results you can get with the Elektron sequencer, but I struggle to integrate the different boxes in truly effective ways.

I imagine an 8 voice version of the AK, with an AR slapped in there somehow, plus the sampling of the Octatrack. This would allow true control over the patterns and songs, and allow for all that amazing craziness you can get from one single box at a time but across the board in one go. It would also be easier to transport around for gigs etc. rather than a bunch of separate pieces.

Pure pipe dream I know, but that’s what I’d love to see next from Elektron!

3 Likes

A step it’s just a division on a timeline. A sound lock it’s an on/off automation on a point of the timeline. All the sequencers I listed can do that and achieve identical results

:joy:

Sure - but this as a workaround applies to areas of skill & logic, not areas where something is not technically possible because it simply isn’t a feature. E.g. random trig playing order is not the same as random chance to play trig with % conditions. Step jumping, reversing playhead direction or ping-pong is not a thing at all.

Like @DovrBch says, it’s a horizontal tracker --> --> -->

1 Like

It’s not that I don’t disagree with some of your suggestions, I‘m simply not of the opinion that the sequencer is dated. Most sequencers you get with synths don’t come close to Elektron.

Other standalone sequencers such as Cirklon and Hapax go beyond Elektron, but that comes with a price tag and a R&D choices.

I would love instrument definitions in on Elektron’s. Midi arp I already have on Octatrack(very dated device that does what you were asking for)

3 Likes