Syntakt PCB

chip shortage? Maybe not everywhere.

33 Likes

Woah this is a dense circuit board.

“Electron drainage. Please empty when full”
Ha!

2 Likes

is it me or it’s a very dense board? and big compared with the digitone hehe…
now the digitakt board seems even more minimalistic

3 Likes

Eli5 pls, what’s going on in there?
1gb +drive?
Which are analog?
What’s the spartan?

I see an SSI2164 in there :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I smell chips, what are we watching?

3 Likes

the materials the dreams are made of

1 Like

There are much smarter people on this forum than I, hopefully they provide more detail, but here’s what I see:

From the perspective of the phots shared here (back ports on bottom of image):
LEFT SIDE:

1. Two Freescale Coldfire microprocessors (for the digital machines?)
  2. Two Xilinx Spartan FPGAs (probably the brains of all the components)
  3. Power management
  4. Two Nanya DRAM or NAND (memory)

RIGHT SIDE:

1. A whoooooole bunch of ICs for the analog voices. (Would need better photos to try to pair them out to match the 3x and 1x of each type)
  2. More power management
  3. TRS Jacks
12 Likes

CPUs are same model as Digitone’s, as I expected.
It seems I correctly predicted they would leverage the same platform for this one.

2 Likes

Not a tremendous surprise. Would be a lot of work to rewrite their code for a new chip. They would only do that if they were making a whole new form factor and screen design/size. (What does model:series use?)

They probably bought a big order of these chips years ago and are slowly using them up.

6 Likes

Really puts into perspective why the ST costs a bit more than the DT and DN. There’s such a lot going on! Come to think of it, Elektron must have put some serious time into stress testing into this. The possibility of overheating alone must be so much higher than previous devices as it’s so small and crammed with components.

10 Likes

The chassis definitely feels warmer to the touch than other Elektron devices. Not overheating, but I was surprised.

1 Like

Same happened to me when I got the Analogs after using the Digits for a long time… surprised they ran so warm

1 Like

They aren’t marked like in the Analog Four, but I think maybe the big holes in the board are ventilation. One of the engineers posted that ST runs at 50 degrees C.

1 Like

Yea as @asmartkid82 says analogs run hot! Especially filters, in my experience.

I’ve made more than a few jokes about why they named the Analog Heat the way they did :sweat_smile:

Edit: It had been off for 15 minutes!

10 Likes

Vesa mount clearance?

6 Likes

Oh true, they’re even marked MNT

1 Like

Impressive.

Dual DSP duties? Just like the old days :laughing:

1 Like

That’s a lot of capacitors :grinning:

Holy guacamole!

Hey, look at C231 laying down on the job! Chillin’ like a villin’ :smile: