What's next for Elektron?

A step it’s just a division on a timeline. A sound lock it’s an on/off automation on a point of the timeline. All the sequencers I listed can do that and achieve identical results

:joy:

Sure - but this as a workaround applies to areas of skill & logic, not areas where something is not technically possible because it simply isn’t a feature. E.g. random trig playing order is not the same as random chance to play trig with % conditions. Step jumping, reversing playhead direction or ping-pong is not a thing at all.

Like @DovrBch says, it’s a horizontal tracker --> --> -->

1 Like

It’s not that I don’t disagree with some of your suggestions, I‘m simply not of the opinion that the sequencer is dated. Most sequencers you get with synths don’t come close to Elektron.

Other standalone sequencers such as Cirklon and Hapax go beyond Elektron, but that comes with a price tag and a R&D choices.

I would love instrument definitions in on Elektron’s. Midi arp I already have on Octatrack(very dated device that does what you were asking for)

3 Likes

Yeah, but what are they like as synths?

This is what save and reload patterns do. Although limited as you can only save 1 sequence in memory.

And the fill function is also a simplified version of this.

It’s how I made all my bangers.

I never used to tell anyone cos you know, it’s not exactly fucking professional.

Imagine my surprise, then, when companies started selling whole modules and systems to replicate my button bashing, but with cool names like Turing machines.

4 Likes

Really miss these types of jams from Dataline…

2 Likes

This enters the territory of what Elektrons are capable of as synths - and the argument can go in the other direction where someone will say that other synths are packed with more features compared to Elektron. Then someone says, ah, but you have to remember Elektron also has the sequencer and the synth side is not the core focus. Yes, you have duties on two sides in one box which is a boon. The point is with time, you will have to take a look at one or both of those aspects and say there is a need for improvement.

3 Likes

I was joking, but the point remains, it’s not necessarily fair to compare an Elektron sequencer with hardware specifically designed as sequencers (and often for more money than a Rytm), as Elektron gear is a lot more than the sequencer, it’s how it all interacts together, especially with things like voice stealing and stuff like that.

Can you imagine how pissed off you’d be though if you waited 500 years on the waiting list for a Cirklon, handed over half your internal organs once your number comes up, only to discover that you can do everything the Cirklon can do with a Model:Cycles?

I’d be amazed if the Elektron sequencer was ever the best sequencer on the market, because with companies around who literally only make sequencers, that’d be pretty embarrassing for them.

4 Likes

After having ranted about Polyend’s Tracker in my last created topic, lol, and was talking about the differences in quality compared to Elektron, I started to imagine how a hardware tracker in a similar style would be, if it was made by Elektron… Probably awesome i guess :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

:mask:

1 Like

Yes and that’s the only device that can approximate some things I listed with workarounds (lfos on arp etc) and only for midi tracks (I know midi loopback etc). Still can’t do a lot of things like odds/even etc.

Agree, but it’s also true that the sequencer plays a big role in the final price of a digitakt or a tone. Some of the features I have listed are available in cheap sequencers (i.e. sq101) and can be easily implemented

Sorry if I didn’t get my point across right, and my English isn’t the best. I wanted to point out that the Elektron sequencer , which was once a standout feature distinguishing Elektron from its competitors, hasn’t been updated in 13 years (or worse it has been limited) . Its age is starting to become apparent due to this lack of updates. It’s still a great sequencer but could become more performable and modulatable.

It’s not the same as turning one knob and alter the steps division, pattern lenght, octaves, probabilities and so on during a performance.

no way. The trig modifiers on the syntakt are a step in that direction.

2 Likes

c’mon guys, of course you can perform on 10 devices. My point was that why use 3 devices with several unused tracks and 3 displays, 3 sequencers when you can use one, with less cables and more focus?

The digitakt has 8 midi tracks. It’s not only a sampler. No reasons not to add a simple midi arp or other basic features a midi sequencer should have. Again I love the elektron sequencer, I just think it could be easily improved.

I didn’t ask for intertrack operations or complex logic operations but I’d say (and i’m not the only one) that also the Cirklon is starting to show its age against these newer and cheaper devices in some areas.

It’s like I totally shot myself in the foot by posting these suggestions in this forum. Harakiri. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

At the end of the day the most powerful sequencer on the market is one you can find on your computer…

Most powerful but not necessarily the ‘best’. I imagine that a lot of folk who use Elektron stuff prefer to sequence on hardware (not necessarily all I know).

I for one struggle a bit to get the different Elektron devices to work totally smoothly with each other (not in terms of time synching but in terms of properly integrating patterns / songs etc). So I feel there is something to be said for a sort of ‘combined’ Elektron (for reasons stated earlier too), or maybe some deeper integration somehow.

I know not everyone will agree with that but just my two pennies worth!

4 Likes

I want a « machine » for the Digitone.
Something which could take the 4 oscillator and allow them to use « sync » between each oscillator at a selectable level.
With simple envelopes per oscillator.

Each oscillator using something like 128 user wavetable.

3 Likes

Phase Distortion should be added to the basic Digitone engine, not a separate algo IMO. Just add a width control for the 4 operators on a new page like they did for ratio offsets. Adds a whole new world of sounds.

1 Like

By copying the trigs from one track to the FX Block, you get the hybrid mode.

1 Like

I like the sequencer as it is indeed. But somethimes I whish it could have some humanize & transpose options. Or maybe there’s a workaround…

To sequence transpose you can simply copy the sequence to a different pattern and transpose it hehe.

Digitone does transpose, not sequenced, but you can do it easy.

Turn quantize off, use velocity and accents