Whatever gear you have now is what you’re stuck with

No problem.

I’d just miss out on wanting to try every MIDI controller under the sun to avoid playing keys.

Dude same here, it’s such a different perspective thinking what if this is all I can have and use versus what do I want or need next.

My current set up is:

Machinedrum UW
Analog rytm
Analog four
Octatrack
Digitone
Virus TI polar
Korg minilouge
Twisted Elektron acid 8
Dave smith instruments Pro 2
Moog grandmother
90hp x 3 of eurorack
Pro modded DMG Gameboy with LSDJ
Commodore 64 with MSSIAH
MacBook Pro
Focusrite Scarlett 18I20 interface
Ableton live 11 suite
Native instruments Maschine MK2
Roland cloud bundle
Fabfilter bundle
Waves mercury bundle
Arturia V collection 9
Serum
A bunch of other random plugins I don’t remember.
Avantone CK-1 condenser mic
Rode NTG3 shotgun mic
Zoom H4n
A pair of Yamaha hs7 monitors
A pair of Neumann NDH20 headphones

…seriously wtf else do I need!?

I’m sitting here looking at Push 3
and the UDO super Gemini wondering how I can swing buying more stuff but really, do I need it? It’s not going to make me make music…
I’ve also been really wanting the Erica synths LXR drum synth but again I really don’t need it…
I always want more eurorack (10 years into euro and I only have 9U/insert feelings of inadequacy/) but again more gear isn’t going to make me make music.
That couldn’t be more important for all of us to remember.

Yes any new piece of gear will generate new ideas without a doubt but I have no shortage ideas just a shortage of time/waxing and waning ambition and a rocky work ethic when it comes to fleshing out a sing from random jams, sound exploration and creative bursts.
I can’t make more time happen but I can reevaluate how I use the time I do have in the studio, that would be much more valuable than any new gear and I need to not forget that. It’s easier to obsess over new gear and it’s possibilities than it is to put your head down and work.

1 Like

I think I’ll be alright! I’ve not been GASsing for anything too hard recently and don’t feel I have any real gaps - tbh I could do with selling a few bits. There are some things I might like to experiment with but I definitely don’t need them :ok_hand:

Can we get stuff repaired? If my Wurlitzer EP200 was in better condition, and I practiced, I’d probably not actually need anything else.

I also have four Electrons capable of producing complete tracks, two brilliant, semi-modular paraphonics, a weird modular toybox (Syntrx), two limited old polys, a crappy mixer, recorder and a couple of pedals. Oh, and Live 10 Suite if I get stuck.

The gear’s fine, it’s the user that’s the limiting factor.

The thing I’m really lacking at the moment is time. Another reason to stop buying stuff for a while.

7 Likes

That’s exactly what i tell myself when i see my face in a mirror each morning.

4 Likes

Looks like I have no more excuse left for not going forward. Wait a minute, perhaps, I need to refresh my knowledge about songwriting? Ha, yes! Another good distraction from having to be productive something with the gear that I already own :grin:

1 Like

Of course I’d be fine. I can even repair most things that would likely go wrong with my gear. The weak link is probably my laptop as it’s getting a bit long in the tooth, it’ll kick the bucket one of these days. Fortunately all I use it for (in a music context) is editing recordings and preparing samples.
Funny timing, I watched the EN Halber-Mench video the other night for the first time in a while and have been feeling like I have too much gear. In fact, most of my favorite records were made with far less equipment than I have at my disposal.

2 Likes

In fact, most of my favorite records were made with far less equipment than I have at my disposal.

There it is in a nutshell. A great GAS-killing mantra. :metal:

2 Likes

This is giving me an idea for a new thread: “What’s the best synth to play on a yacht?” :laughing:

2 Likes

Volca Keys is so good. Nice jam!

1 Like

Goddamn you all. I’m not all right. I gots to get me a Pulsar at some point to feel any level of confidence in my current set up. Don’t move country multiple times, kids, it’ll make you part way with things far too often :grimacing:

3 Likes

I’d be fine with half of the stuff I have atm, but I would need to be buy some new guitar strings from time to time. I’d be okay with just making music on the op1f for the rest of my life. Or just the m8. Or just playing guitar for fun.

I was wondering when someone would break ranks. Though you have more reason to do so than most!

4 Likes

Well I would then be stuck with the model:cycles and the TR-8S, and that’s good for me - plenty of techno in that setup

3 Likes

Same boat.
This is a case for going not only portable, but also handheld.
Finding a piece you can slip into your pocket and play with everywhere (subway, waiting for the bus, 10 min nap of the little one, etc.) could change your music experience.
I had that with the Nanobox Razzmatazz, and now I’m waiting for an M8.

3 Likes

Pretty sweet. Assuming everything works and is updated to maintain forwards compatibility that is…

1 Like

The only thing I can say is that Synth/musical Instrument/anything related companies will bankrupt.

2 Likes

Wide open. I have so many options with my gear, I can go wherever I want, even if I never bought anything again.

1 Like

even Klingon opera?

3 Likes