Whatever gear you have now is what you’re stuck with

You are stuck with whatever gear is currently in your possession. You can’t buy borrow steal or use anything else ever. No new software no new hardware no new sample packs.

How does your musical journey look going forward?

8 Likes

Looking good, so long as as we don’t lose electricity.

36 Likes

Looking good. Time is my biggest enemy

8 Likes

I did this in a self imposed manner.
Looks great going forward, I have everything I need to make music till I’m gone.
I like getting to know my gear more than learning new things.
Discovering new methods, workflows, inspiration and knowing how to navigate the gear effortlessly with perfectly curated ergonomics.
If I struggled with making tracks with what I have now, it’s not the gear.

7 Likes

Actually looks good. And I bet this is true for most forum dwellers, whether or not we will admit it. I underuse most of my hardware synths and WAY underuse my iPad apps (they are so damn cheap, even before they come on ridiculous sales).

7 Likes

One of my favorite jams is this Volca keys and delay jam. It’s one of the only YouTube performances I can remember and I think about it often, years after first seeing it.

I think of this often when I imagine only having minimal gear and making the most of it. I was thinking about it when making this thread.

9 Likes

Best it has looked in a few years TBH, though time will tell if my optimism was warranted I guess.

I hate changing my setup, which sometimes can lead to stagnation, I tend to somehow have a knack of making my music life complicated, even though I’m a minimalist and don’t like consumerism at heart, I do like the right kind of options and flexibility. Sometimes that can be a long process and involve a shit ton of troubleshooting mostly due to gear inadequacies, like stuff not working properly or bugs. Out of everything, I value most stuff that works properly, it makes my life easier, but it is hard to attain.

Currently I have begun to get gear out of my setup that I don’t use, and trying to build around a few core pieces, no DAW (for the last 15 years, not because it is currently a thing) and mostly joyous gear to use, where possible. My gear list probably seems above average, but I intend to continue to slim down and optimise, because at the end of the day it isn’t about what you have, but what you use.

3 Likes

Looks enjoyable!

I feel so happy and settled with my current setup. More so than I ever did with modular.

Drum synth (AR), analog synth (A4), digital synth (DT), sampler (OT), and iPad for loops and effects.

Really want to stay with this setup for a long time.

I have enough DAWS and synths and vsts to last a lifetime.

2 Likes

Owning the analog trinity + minilogue since a few months so this wouldn’t bother me at all. There is so much to explore, feels like it will take forever until it gets boring :slight_smile:

No problems here, I just replaced my kick pedal so I’m set to rock.

1 Like

It’s been like that for years now and it’s working out good.

1 Like

A little sad I never got to try an OT and gave away my MPD drum pad, but otherwise great. Still lots to explore.

I guess if I ever wanted to play out anywhere, I might have trouble because I don’t own a mixer.

2 Likes

It’d look a lot better if my MOTU M2 didn’t keep dropping out…

i have full closet of gear and two macs mini (2012 intel & 2020 M1) & two iPads.
so i guess i’m fine at least for 2 or 3 decades.

1 Like

Ok, I’m fine with that.

I really wanted new speakers, but headphones are fine so…
Ok, seriously, I’d need the Tiptop Buchla system or a Verbos system, those new Shakmat modules look amazing, too, tho…!
Maybe if I’d sell something? Would that still count?
Have you guys seen the Klavis granular filter? A fucking granular filter!

Sorry, lol, couldn’t resist. :grin:

I’d be fine.

1 Like

Same. I’d also be annoyed that I can never get a DJ controller since I don’t have one right now.

There are a few other holes in my set up that I would like to plug. But I wouldn’t have much of a problem making due.

2 Likes

Hmm. I can deal with this. I’m on holiday so all I’ve got is a Roland J6, Olympus LS3 field recorder and an iPad Pro with Logic Pro, Drambo, Koala and a ton of synths and fx on it.

I’d miss my Digitakt for sure, but I think I might be more productive if forced to stick with just this, it’s kind of where I’d been heading anyway.

If I could trade one thing it would be the J6 for an OP1 Field.

2 Likes

It look so much more productive.

1 Like

The right time for this question. I got everything I need and then some :wink:

7 Likes