What synth could replace my digitone?

I love the digitone for having 4 tracks, so its possible to have 4 different synths playing (bass, pad, arp, lead).
Also the modulation stuff that makes evolving, changing, diforming drones possible.
Also it’s size is perfect in my setup.

BUT i really am struggling with its sound.
too metallic, screeching, digital, fm-y often times.

is there any other synth that could offer something similar but with other sound?
size is a big factor for me, as it needs to fit into my portable synth suitcase.
also the 4 tracks, to save space by having 1 synth playing bass, pads, arps and lead at the same time.

Roland SH4d? Or MC101?

Virus Snow?

Ipad?

A4mk1. Not quite as small as DN, but close.

5 Likes

If youre happy with older gear the Novation Nova is 4 part multitimbral

1 Like

Syntakt will cover most of that, but I think it’s weak point is pads.

One of the Roland Grooveboxes will get you there.

before you buy a new synth, have you tried just not turning up the fm modulation too much?

9 Likes

Re: SH-4d recommendation above… I recently got a Roland SH-4D and LOVE it. Might be something to check out on YouTube. A couple of downsides, no individual outs for the 4 synths and 1 rhythm section. But it can be mulitracked out via USB (kinda like overbridge style). The 4d is instantaneous fun, very accessible, the only menu diving is selecting a new sound. I’m into lofi sounds, so definitely check it out on YT to see if it meets your sound needs. The sequencer could use a bit of work/future firmware updates to allow arp holds to continue after you change to another channel, limits on how many bars of sequencing etc. So it depends on your workflow. Again, don’t forget, no individual outs, just one stereo out, or individual outs via midi for recording.
Very portable, fun and can be battery powered. (for me, it worked for a few hours on ++A batteries). Roland SH-4d Review: The multi-engine synth battle heats up! // Full SH4d tutorial - YouTube

Another vote fir an A4MKI
So good for the money these days. Definitely warmer.
That said if you really want something that sounds different than elekteon gear get a moog slim phatty. It’s all sweet spot, small, loud, full of warmth.
Controlling an SP with the electron sequencer is really fun. Even though it’s a mono synth, it become addicting to let it be the majority of the sound scape.

I sort of misunderstood the OP. If you’re looking to replace the digitone, try an A4 for sure.

1 Like

Digitone can be super mellow, lofi, analog-sounding. I’m selling my Moog Matriarch because I prefer the Digitone.

Look for some sound packs that give you a more mellow vibe.

EDIT: Haunted Hearts, for example:

15 Likes

Good point. There was also a soundpack around here someone made where they had dialed in basic analog waves, square, saw, etc., so you could essentially use the DN as a virtual analog synth.

5 Likes

Dirtywave M8 Tracker -> small powerhouse with fm, braids, sampling, wavetable, effects, sequencer, 8 tracks…

2 Likes

Great warm and fuzzy sound pack, I second trying this.

1 Like

One of the Nord Racks?

1 Like

I’m not sure how big your synth suitcase is, but have you checked out the KORG opsix?

2 Likes

I think this excellent soundpack includes those:

Recommended, it changed my perception of what the DN can do, especially on the “warm analog” sounding part.

6 Likes

Wavetable?

Nord lead 3

1 Like

Seconded.
As a previous Digitone owner, the Opsix feels much easier for me to program. Sometimes I wish I had kept the DN though! It’s super powerful, I just couldn’t wrap my head around it at the time.

That is, unless you’re trying to get away from FM.

1 Like

I’ve found the op six much more expansive than the digitone.

Felt like the digitone as with most electron gear is best used when using its internal sequencer.

Tbh I need to dive into the opsix more I’m typically just using it for ifs sine waves lol but it’s a deep synth. Got it when the price dropped too it was like 300 for a while

1 Like

I don’t mean to derail this thread into an Opsix discussion, but dude! Have you tried the virtual patching or user algorithms on it yet? It’s like a DIY synth inside a synth! :happy:

Here’s an example that helped me realize a glimpse of its potential.

2 Likes