What synth could replace my digitone?

I kind of took this as meaning OP is trying to get away from FM:

1 Like

Could also mean FM is getting away from OP. Mellower sound packs have already been posted, but not the Digitales one:

4 Likes

iPad. Can still do FM but also not FM.

Ableton

1 Like

OP1? portable as hell. four tracks. not as harsh as FM can sometimes be. lots to love.

That was

But the Geometry packs are great too

1 Like

Ah, whoops. I’m not the best reader at times.

Unfortunately I had that with the sound, unfortunately also with digitone and therefore I sold it and never regretted it. i wish elektron build a decent wavetabel synthesizer with granular sampler and then with this elektron sequencer and great sound.

now that i sold analog four to get the dave smith prophet i have no regrets either. in terms of sound, there are really worlds between. that was really scary. I never understood what people find great about the drums from the A4. it was always a tedious process until you had a decent sweet spot. with the rev2 it works immediately… and I don’t even want to know how it is with the ob6. the best thing about elektron is still the rytm, once you can build the right drums out of it and then feed them separately through preamps, which unfortunately isn’t that easy either, then this machine really is the best of the best. But that’s my opinion.

if you absolutely need the sequencer from elektron, then maybe an OT or digitakt to control external devices and then e.g. rev2 is at least betimbral, but with a much better sound, even if it’s a different sound synthesis. I think even a Blofeld would sound better. and if it can be expensive, then definitely the quantum.

1 Like

There are probably a bunch that can sound like it, but with a similar sequencer option for 4 parts + the option to sequence 4 more MIDI tracks?

Novation KS-rack is 4 parts.
Novation Nova is 6 parts.

1 Like

OP should get a Digitone.

5 Likes

My bad…I’m kicking myself even more for not getting the Nova on sale here a few weeks ago even more now!

if you mean Nova Laptop, it’s SIX part multitimbral.

I’m blaming SOS who told me it’s FOUR part multi…

@prydal have a look on YouTube for videos on how to do sawtooth and square waves on the Digitone. Just sticking with them two may be enough to curb your GAS?

Edit: I missed JohnL add a link to a VA soundpack. Nice!

Algo 8, just use the B operator for a subtractive poly or mono synth.

Four of them.

2 Likes

I had that phase with my Digitone as well. It tooks months before I began to like its sound. Embrace the digital! It can also sound very warm and inviting but those are the boring sounds it makes. Yes, something analog will be better at that because it’s easier to dial in.

I’ll keep my Digitone. If I have a track where something’s missing or I need a new idea, I usually for the Digitone. It is such a versatile box and I love the drums.

2 Likes

Wow guys thx so much for all that great input!
I guess i will try to get more out of the digitone and check out your Tipps & patches here.

But still am interested in all those other synths that get recommended:D

3 Likes

If you have a sequencer (like another Elektron box), the Waldorf Blofeld is a great choice. It sounds great, handles many types of synthesis and has 16 tracks (multitimbral parts) sharing 25 voices of polyphony.

You can even save several patches as a « multi patch » to recall 16 of them at once, like a drum kit but with synth patches.

You can setup several tracks to respond to the same midi channel to layer sounds.

My Blofeld is my Octatrack’s best friend.

Edit: also, it’s small!

3 Likes

It’s a fine synth, I enjoyed it… sound, interface, everything. I made this track with it:

It’s a bit old now so I would be wary of faulty units.

3 Likes