What’s your artist name and why did you choose it?

Way back in 1992 or so when I was wearing all black all day and carried a lot of Weltschmerz with me I had an experimental industrial noise project called B.L.D. (Black Letter Day). Eventually things lightened up a few years later and I was deejaying as DJ Bold. Now even more years later I didn’t have the most meaningful idea but I liked to simplify the former typographically and from now on it’s just B_LD.

6 Likes

The „band“ name I used since the 80s had been used by too many others too many times so I searched for something that is not on Apple Music and anywhere else and finally went with 2A2E which is the amount of these letters in my name and no one else will ever use such a stupid name… still doing my (almost) one song per months challenge…

4 Likes

More recently I started using jasl. My name is Jas Langdon so it’s a no brainer but Jasl is a bit like jLo… which I find is a fairly adequate piss take. Sorry to all jLo fans here :wink: It’s not meant to be cryptic or hipster but perhaps it is.

Another name I use is ‘Ka Su Fl’ - I live in the Netherlands and being a brit I tend to play with the language. In dutch a kaas soufle is a cheese soufflé - a bread crisp hot pocket piece of shitty junk food. They are disgusting and of course cheesy but Ka Su Fl sounds so exotic. I was inspired by ‘Sun Kil Moon’ who I love and of course Mark Kozelek is a total dickhead too. So it all makes sense - I think.

4 Likes

Norwegian and Swedish has alot of similarities. But Sinne means anger in norwegian. hehe.

1 Like

Back in the Elektron Users days i was on one of the compilations, and had to find a name fast. Looked down on my Monomachine as that was integral in everything i did back then. Came up with Thomachine. It looked ok, but i get kind of embarrassed when saying it out loud. Specially with a norwegian accent. hehe.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Yeah, sinne means there or thither in Finnish and I almost didn’t use Sinne as my artist name for that reason.

Also, I heard if you read it “shi” and “nay” it would be close to shine in Japanese which means: die! Which isn’t quite what I want the name to convey. :rofl:

1 Like

More recently I started using jasl. My name is Jas Langdon so it’s a no brainer but Jasl is a bit like jLo…

Jasl is not ok. This is the first name in the board that I’ve instantly had to reply to.

jLo for the few

for everyone else :joy:

1 Like

ah c’mon man nothing wrong with a bit of ‘vajazzle’ :joy:
(now I know why my bandcamp is very quiet)

6 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

actually… I’d never heard that term
before so I also wanna thank you for not only opening up a whole new world for me but once it catches on (which I sincerely hope it does) it’s likely my bandcamp page will be flooded with visitors (albeit for the wrong reason of course).

3 Likes

I make visual art and both it and my music are inspired by video games. Also, a stupid « what animal are you? » test on the internet said I was a deer a few years back.

So, I chose « low-poly » (low detail 3D models, common in retro games from the late 90s when I got into gaming) + deer, and I got lopodyr. I think it sounds quirky, which I feel fits my style well.

7 Likes

funny when I chose my current pseudonym it was an anagram. searching through Google for how often such a combination could be mentioned, I saw that it was practically non-existent. but over time, for some reason, this pseudonym was chosen by some gay band, then some African singer, then some anime fans … at some point, some techno musician even appeared who lamented that they might start to confuse us. but I decided to leave it as is and see where it all leads.

3 Likes

From Michael Herr’s Vietnam War memorial “Dispatches”,
“The sergeant had lain out near the clearing for almost two hours with a wounded medic. He had called over and over for a medevac, but none had come. Finally, a chopper from another outfit, a LOH, appeared, and he was able to reach it by radio. The pilot told him that he’d have to wait for one of his own ships, they werent coming down, and the sergeant told the pilot that if he did not land for them he was going to open fire from the ground and fucking well bring him down.So they were picked up that way, but there were repercussions.
The commanders code name was Mal Hombre, and he reached the sergeant later that afternoon from a place with the call signal Violent Meals.
" God damn it, Sergeant,” he said through the static, “I thought you were a professional soldier.”
“I waited as long as I could, Sir. Any longer, i was gonna lose my man.”
“This outfit is perfectly capable of taking care of its own dirty laundry. Is that clear, Sergeant?”
“Colonel, since when is a wounded trooper ‘dirty laundry’?”
“At ease, Sergeant,” Mal Hombre said, and radio contact was broken. "

The two words together just jumped off the page to me.
Also, after 2.5 decades of working in the hell of other peoples kitchens, Violent Meals made sense to me in a way. Its a strange combination of words and conjures strange imagery to my mind.
sustenance. violence. That which keeps us alive created in a violent act.
I like it. Lots of people i have shared my music with tell me they hate the name, and thats okay with me. I get it.
But it fits me and i like it.

11 Likes

Mt Indigo. Taken from Jamaican blue mountains, Jamaica, original home of dub. I make some sort of dub / dub techno inspired music. “Indigo” is so overused though, thinking of changing it up for the next releases.

7 Likes

The eocyte hypothesis is a biological classification that indicates eukaryotes emerged within the prokaryotic Crenarchaeota (formerly known as eocytes), a phylum within the archaea. Archae are organisms that live in extreme conditions in this planet.

7 Likes

Reviving this because I’ve been thinking about it, and these are all fun stories to read.

I chose the name PBS in the beginning as a generic name that I thought was funny, and because I probably didn’t really want anyone to find it - I’m not a musician, and this was a side-project from my visual art (which I no longer do). But I still wanted to share stuff, so that was confusing.

I have no idea how to make an artist persona for music. I’d like to use my name but don’t like my name as an artist name. What I make isn’t really tied to a specific sound or genre, so for a minute there I used Not Hank S, because I am not Hank S, and it is also “no thanks”, but that’s pretty stupid.

So for now I’m SAS, because I am definitely making a Serious Artist Statement with this stuff.

5 Likes

new project: Lovejoy Division.
C. Owen Lovejoy is an antropologist who proposed sex-for-food exchange and pair-bonding hypothesis for the origin of human bipedality.

2 Likes

My kids named me Acid Alex about 8 years back and it just stuck. Should change it really to something a bit more sensible

1 Like

major kudos points to anyone who gets this reference.

• it’s not something you can guess,
1 Like