What’s your artist name and why did you choose it?

Mt Indigo. Taken from Jamaican blue mountains, Jamaica, original home of dub. I make some sort of dub / dub techno inspired music. “Indigo” is so overused though, thinking of changing it up for the next releases.

7 Likes

The eocyte hypothesis is a biological classification that indicates eukaryotes emerged within the prokaryotic Crenarchaeota (formerly known as eocytes), a phylum within the archaea. Archae are organisms that live in extreme conditions in this planet.

7 Likes

Reviving this because I’ve been thinking about it, and these are all fun stories to read.

I chose the name PBS in the beginning as a generic name that I thought was funny, and because I probably didn’t really want anyone to find it - I’m not a musician, and this was a side-project from my visual art (which I no longer do). But I still wanted to share stuff, so that was confusing.

I have no idea how to make an artist persona for music. I’d like to use my name but don’t like my name as an artist name. What I make isn’t really tied to a specific sound or genre, so for a minute there I used Not Hank S, because I am not Hank S, and it is also “no thanks”, but that’s pretty stupid.

So for now I’m SAS, because I am definitely making a Serious Artist Statement with this stuff.

5 Likes

new project: Lovejoy Division.
C. Owen Lovejoy is an antropologist who proposed sex-for-food exchange and pair-bonding hypothesis for the origin of human bipedality.

2 Likes

My kids named me Acid Alex about 8 years back and it just stuck. Should change it really to something a bit more sensible

1 Like

major kudos points to anyone who gets this reference.

• it’s not something you can guess,
1 Like

I think I can speak for most Brits when saying my mind instantly went here:

8 Likes

substitute ‘food’ for ‘antiques’ in the OP and it all makes sense.

3 Likes
  • juniper.wave

• I love juniper trees and the ocean.

• I wanted something easily Googleable

• Everything else I came up with was taken or stupid.

I’ve grown to kind of dislike the name once I started releasing things simply because when abbreviated it makes me think of Jehovah’s Witnesses. The J also doesn’t lend itself to typography I like. After my upcoming release I might switch aliases.

3 Likes

I actually like “no thanks” as an alias!

2 Likes

Mine is Snatch Numan - chose it because I always liked how Gary Numan’s stage name looked in writing; and I started out making music by stealing/snatching samples from MOD files.

I also pondered going by ‘Michael Horse with No Name’ (alluding to the Twin Peaks actor and the America song) or ‘Adaptahsteckah’ (German for ‘adapter plug’, but said out loud by a sound engineer friend from Berlin)

7 Likes

small black flowers.

My favorite song by the Manic Street Preachers.

4 Likes

Cassilda and Carcosa

Cassilda is a character in the play-within-a-book, “The King in Yellow”
Carcosa is also a place with in the play-within-a-book, “The King in Yellow”

"The King in Yellow "was written in 1895 and is a seminal piece of weird fiction.

I was using nilsec for a while, but then i found out it was a a generic name for the drug, Omeprazole which is a drug used in the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease. lol, decided to change it.

5 Likes

It took a long time for me to settle because I’m very picky but I ended up calling myself Bassarid
It’s an Ancient Greek word that basically translates to “fox fur wearer.” I like it because it has a double meaning for me: it was used to refer to the mad-woman followers of Dionysus, who I feel a deep spiritual connection to, and in a more modern sense, fox fur has the connotations of luxury and glamour.

4 Likes

But, have you seen the Yellow Sign?

1 Like

Argh. I got 36h to come up with an artistname and 8 tracknames for a release. Everything feels wrong.

2 Likes

fyltr

because I don’t like vowels and like filters

2 Likes

ALT+ERROR
(With the plus in the middle)
When I started making music at the beginning of this year with the Elektronauts DNB challenges I wanted to be able to share them for comment on SoundCloud and realised I needed an artist-name. I had immediately thought of ALT EDIT but it was already taken so quickly switched. In some fonts it looks more like AI Terror which is quite zeitgeist so I might switch to that when no one’s looking!

1 Like

I’m working towards launching a new project in the next couple of months and it’ll most likely involve dropping the No Masters moniker for a bit, if not forever.

It’s been a bit of a nightmare trying to come up with an artist/project name that’s right, and by right I mean just the right mix of transgressive, offensive, funny and my own (somewhat radical) idea of inclusive, but I think I’m finally getting there.

Obviously I’m not about to spill the beans before I launch, just sharing what an absolute nightmare it’s been trying to figure out something as “simple” as a fucking artist/project name.

9 Likes

The Masters are all my (gender inclusive) b*tches, now

1 Like