What’s your artist name and why did you choose it?

Great thread and really enjoying reading the comments.

Well mine is otnemem and basically is the reverse of Christopher Nolan’s movie title “Memento” - which is a story in reverse. I liked the movie and the name sounded cool to me. Sort of grew on me and stayed with it.

8 Likes

Being full of myself, i have many incarnations depending on the genres i try to regurgitate, Generally the names are either a hint on what to expect musically, the concept …or private jokes :

Neon Melk : Electronic Music.
n-Gon Arqestra : Baroque Jazz hip-hop thingie.
[the] Dunno Project : Everything is authorized.
The Cheat Code Conspiracy : Me trying to be Mr.Bungle without Patton.
Dorks on Steroïds : Cpt Beefheart and the Residents vibes all the way.
McCroskey Rehab Center Memorial : Another Beefheart inspired band with a dude i know.
Dead Men Kaos Arkestra : A Tim Burton-esque Jazz/Big Band/Avant guarde ensemble hijacked by an evil version of Spike Jones and a very drunk John Cage.

7 Likes

I’ll never be able to unsee the OK stick figure now.

6 Likes

Passed through Oxenholme on the train from Preston to Edinburgh visiting friends. Thought it was a cool name for a doom band but ended up using it for non-doom electronic stuff :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Now you just need to get famous so people will ask the residents, “oh! Like the band?!”

2 Likes

I’m gonna start a doom band called cow farm.

4 Likes

I wonder what’s more plausible, my potential fame or people actually visiting or leaving Oxenholme.

5 Likes

Co-headlining tour!

2 Likes

eaew - which was made up by my daughter and comprises the first letters of all of our first names in our house, oldest first (not me). I like it, it’s both meaningful and meaningless. I don’t know how to pronounce it, and it looks Welsh (I’m Welsh).

I’ve since discovered it’s also (or was) a governmental acronym here in the UK.

3 Likes

Solo:
even mind
From even minded. I like the sound and feel of it and I myself am mostly quiet settled inside :slight_smile:

Band:
Pommes Hawaii
Pommes is German for french fries / chips.
And yes, we do sing a lot about potatoes, pine apple and gouda :smiley:

5 Likes

Memento is one of my all time favorite movies! Nice :+1:t3:

1 Like

Haha, just thought this was your artist name “co-headlining tour”.

1 Like

Way ahead of you.

1 Like

Been thinking about meaning behind your name just few days ago on some thread… Nice. Would try…a half. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I never touch ‘em anymore. After a few years I’d get all blasted today but tomorrow I’d be left feeling mega weedy but not high at all. If that makes sense. Anyway I got to where I really hated that feeling so it had to go. I get it from pretty much any amount of any edibles at this point. No worries though. It’s a fine life :0)

4 Likes

Hehe, not a bad idea. Which sorta sideways reminds of a local band when I was in school called Gratis (for free) which always caused some (very intentional) confusion on flyers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cassilda and Carcosa

• Easy to google
  • Easy to say
  • Homage to the characters and places in “The King in Yellow,” written in 1895 by Robert W. Chambers
8 Likes

I made some music under name Kākāpō. I was interested in endangered species at the time I was choosing it and this is very interesting non-flying night parrot from New Zealand. I started playing classical guitar on street wearing a bird mask, sending the money people threw in a guitar case to an organization that helps to protect them. Later switched on electric guitar in clubs and made a record with similiar purpose (make some money for that organization). It was quite obsession some time between 2010 and 2014. Then I started to play more with bands and didn’t finish anything solo for a long time. But I have a four track EP in a mixing stage now and probably will release it under this name…

8 Likes

So many great names (recognized some of them) and interesting stories behind them!

Summary

Btw mine is Merzbow - It means ‘noise’ in Chinese

Summary

:nerd:

6 Likes

ignatius - i liked the character in A Confederacy of Dunces. seemed as good a name as any at the time.

5 Likes