What hardware compressor to use with Octatrack

I like to use Delay and Filter with my two master FX on my OT. This makes me unable to use the compressor. I make pseudo side-chain with inverted EXP LFO and that might fool you into thinking I have a compressor but we alllll know I don’t, don’t we. The Analog Heat is NOT a compressor, I own one (love it) and have used the ENV follower to make a compressor but it’s not built for it. I have looked into the FMR Really Nice Compressor and that looks promising, I played a show last night where a guy who also used an Octatrack + modular which is the same as me, was using using a FMR Really Nice Limiter. It sounded good. I am also looking into the OTO Boum because I want it’s sidechain input. However, If I sidechain my kick into the compressor than my Kick will be ducked in the mix because the my kick is ducking itself with it’s own signal, right? I am wondering if there is a compressor anyone knows of that lets the signal input on the side-chain be a part of the mix, or is that already how the FMR Very Nice Compressor works?

There’s a thread on here about using the RNC & RNLA on the master buss and how their sidechain input works:

5 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Use an EQ on the sidechain to filter out (isolate) what part of the mix you want (or do not want) to control the compressor with. That’s a standard technique. You cannot however, separate a saxophone from a hi-hat but you can isolate a kick or a snare with moderate accuracy depending on your compressor settings

No worries, I use an RNC with the HPF method as described in that thread and it works well. It’s a great solution for the money. I’d quite like to get an RNLA to compare its less transparent compression, from what I’ve heard it’s not an unpleasant effect.

1 Like

Do you use it for ducking and making pumping effects?

No, just for levelling/RMS/glue with a simple live setup I’m working on, I take the mixer output and run it through AH and then the RNC. If I’m recording stuff I multitrack and tend to do compression/sidechaining in the DAW afterwards.

1 Like

FWIW I had an RNLA and to my ears it’s still very transparent! Wanted it as an effect but could never get much out of it beyond very clean GR

Dbx make affordable rack mount 2 channel comps with side chain inputs.

1 Like

You can if you use Filter + Comp on master and record T8 with T7, play the recording with T7, add delay (delay setup DIR=0). You loose a track.

Analog Rytm has a stereo analog compressor and inputs for that. Oto Boum is on my wishlist.

2 Likes

The dbx 266xl is a very affordable stereo compressor and it gives you side chain and gate. I think it works well enough for electronic music. API 2500/SSL G it is not but then you already knew that.

Alternatively, check out the OT compressor glue thread here if you have not already done so.

1 Like

That was what the RN stuff was made for in the first place. Transparent dynamic processors at a reasonable price. They were absolutely not designed to add “analog warmth” or whatever is trending these days.

2 Likes

I’m afraid that is not possible!

1 Like

A Neighbor track (or more) on master is possible if you use CUE as master :
Send all tracks to CUE (Studio mode on suffice)
Record and play CUE with T7 (CUE send = 0)
T8 as Neighbor (CUE send = 0)

As I said above, you also can add fx to Master, but there is feedback (a filtered delay is appropriate).
T8 Master
Record and Play T8 with T7
Set DIR to 0 in Delay Setup

7 Likes

Indeed… !

Also check this thread. Lot’s of compressor talk there.
I’m very happy with my TC Finalizer and use it at the end of my setup - OT out.

I’ve got eyes on it since 20 years! 2nd hand market became interesting.

1 Like

Here’s the thread I referenced earlier. It’s tangential to this thread but perhaps still relevant.

2 Likes

SSL Six Desktop Mixer looks pretty good too…

5 Likes

Using the EHX Platform and it’s doing a great job!

1 Like