Small form factor Limiter for live use?

I’m thinking about getting a hardware limiter for live use. Do you guys know some good options?
I’d rather not have a rack limiter but if the options are best here then ok.

I have tried using the compressor in Octatrack but it does act like a compressor and I get some pumping even at max release setting.

EHX Platform? RNLA/RNC?

5 Likes

Ehx Platform looks good. Do you have any experience with it? Can you get a quite high gain reduction without distortion? I’d be using it as a maximizer so does it do this well?

1 Like

RNC in Really Nice Mode. Transparent.

5 Likes

I haven’t used it personally, basing my opinion on this video. I can get pretty gnarly but does clean as well. I had a RNLA for a while but it was too clean/transparent for my taste, so if low-distortion gain reduction is what you’re after it could be worth looking into. RNC is even cleaner.

2 Likes

RNLA & RNC maintain fully analogue signal paths (digital controlled). Worth bearing in mind as the EHX is completely digital.

4 Likes

It looks like the RNLA will be the right choice then. It’s good to see that it has been discussed and recommended around the forum. I don’t mind coloring if it sounds good and it will probably only occur when pressed.

If I set Ratio to max and, attack to min and turn up gain will I have the maximizer without the gain fluctuations of a compressor? In the specs it says there’s no Limiter built in but if it can function as one then no problem.

My software limiter (MLimiterX) Cuts (lowers) peaks very well above the threshold and leaves the signal below pretty much unaffected and then I can raise the volume (ceiling).
That means that it keeps the dynamic relation between high and low without pumping. So this is my understanding of the use of a limiter.

1 Like

+1 for the RNC.

I’ve worked with some top notch live engineers who use it on (after) the master.

Never tried RNLA on the master or as a brick wall limiter. The colouring is subtle and wont go into any dirty territory like the EHX device.

@AdamJay uses RNC and shared a good technique using an in-line high pass filter with the sidechain input.

1 Like

I am using the RNLA with a HPF in the sidechain for processing the stereo bus of electronic music (/techno).
However the attack (even in the fastest settings) is quite slow so the loud transients will still come through or even get emphasized. If you want to cut that transients the RNLA is not ideal IMO

1 Like

RNC + Boss GEB-7
After reading @AdamJay post many moons ago.

2 Likes

If you can afford them, get a pair of Bogner Harlow pedals to run stereo. @Prints got me hip to this magic little box. You’ll get dynamic control but with the benefit of harmonic saturation. They can accept line levels just fine.

If you’re not familiar, the Bogner Harlow pedal has a Rupert Neve Designs transformer in it for natural transformer saturation/compression. My wife got it for me for Christmas. I’m in love with its sound. The way the transformer saturates the low end. I had been running experiments on it all weekend.

It has a transformer gain knob, a one knob compressor, and a tilt EQ knob. They’re all very usable, especially in combination. It is, technically, a “boost/compressor” knob.

I’ve been focusing on the different levels of saturation you get just based on how hot of an input you send it, regardless of the gain knob position. This transformer saturation has a natural compression to it. The one knob compressor tightens up the attack and adds in a heavier ratio compression.

So I ran the same loop through the Harlow, in mono. No compression or tilt EQ, just saturation only. First phrase is *no Harlow/Dry. Second is -10dB at input. Third is -6dB at input. Last is 0dB at input (all out of the MOTU).

All 4 phrases are “peak” level matched , and then played back in series.
All you hear is the natural compression of Neve transformer saturation.

I think it’s great for the Octatrack. Adds some “oomph!” and keeps peaks in check.

A little outside the box but who cares, if it works? I’m working on getting a second one for stereo use.

17 Likes

Alesis Microlimiter… I have one on the output of the Heat as insurance… Available for less than 50 euros if you hunt about. It sounds fine IMHO, especially as its just keeping the monitors safe :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@AdamJay’s new Bognor Harlow method sounds great but I also recently got an RNC and added the HPF loop trick and it does some impressive stuff. Analog Heat on the master ahead of it and it’s very easy to get live stuff sounding good.

5 Likes

Yea, the options really come down to one’s budget. Starting from the cheapest:

Alesis Micro Limiter
EHX Platform
RNC w/ HPF
RNLA w/ HPF

Saturation based:
2x Harlow
Analog Heat + one of the above.

Let your wallet pick your poison!

7 Likes

Oh thanks for this, would look really cute next to my microverb.

I am going to test that pedal on the DFAM.

1 Like

One other possibility, if a bit left field… Erica Synths Acid Box 3… there’s a review by Stimming, and it shows that even with the unit set to do nothing, it acts as a limiter in a pleasing manner… and its a grungy box of analog dirt too :wink: check out the video

5 Likes

Oto Boum maybe a candidate too ? Soundonsound-review reads amazing and I have & love my Oto Bim & Bam.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this tip @AdamJay. As I wrote earlier I want to try to maintain the dynamic relation except for the peaks being lowered so

• have you had problems with loud peaks slipping through on the RNLA?
    Of course I’m not going full loudness with it so I’m not sure if this will even be a problem.

• You said that the Harlow keeps peaks in check but does it avoid the pumping/gain fluctuations?
    Sounds like the Harlow will sound great on Electronica/IDM!