What frequency do you tune your A4 to? (440hz / 432hz)

Nothing in nature is uniform. There is no resonant frequency of human beings because every one is different. Even within the same body there isn’t a specific frequency because every part of the body has different densities and size all throughout. Same with the Earth or any other cosmic body. We aren’t tuning forks.

7 Likes

We just have to adjust the world clock so that more seconds fit in a year. If the time of a second changes every frequency will change accordingly?! Ive lost myself here pls help

2 Likes

Volume as well.
I do believe lower frequencies like a 137 bpm groove has a bigger impact on dancing bodies than the tuning of your synth.
Actually, an exponential envelope on a pitch goes quickly through many frequencies, including 440 and 432Hz, but no one cares as long as the kick is fat.
And a melody based on whatever tuning has more impact than a drone.

Science is fascinating. Keep digging, experimenting. But same as 137 bpm is no better than 96 or 147, no frequency, no note is the queen of all.
Btw the Hz unit depends on the second, that is a very arbitrary unit.

7 Likes

Your reply is literally 432 words long. A sign?

10 Likes

Feels like you all are getting stuck up on the numbers. It’s not really about the numbers, that’s just how the energies are being translated into a language. Just because it’s measured in seconds, doesn’t mean the thing you’re measuring wouldn’t exist if seconds or Hertz were never invented.

Also I feel like most people here have a preconceived notion of what they believe the specific frequency of 432hz is attributed too. I haven’t read any attribution on here which I feel is correct and haven’t made any claims here on what this frequency promotes. I’m only saying that mocking the importance of specific sound frequencies is ignorant at best.

So if what you’re saying is that you waded in here and necro’d a four year old thread that you didn’t read or understand the argument in to say “some frequencies have significance, generally”… okay? I don’t think anyone disagrees with that.

But nor, after a stunning display like that, do you get to lecture anyone on ignorance.

7 Likes

No sound frequency is any more or less important than any other.

1 Like

I appreciate your comment and your style of writing :grin:.

Yes I ‘necrod’ :rofl: a 4 year old thread because of insights that seem to have been lost out of general human consciousness for about 4000 years. And so that if anyone (like me) is searching for these kind of topics that they don’t only find people mocking it, but also people who take it seriously. Because although it’s a cool forum generally, there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of love for these kinds of mystic/metaphysical topics judging by the responses.

But maybe it’s just because this specific topic (432hz) has been misrepresented a lot and therefore people have preconceived ideas and judgements about it.

PS. If anyone wants to detune from A=440hz to A=432hz you should decrease by 0.173907 semitones according to chatgpt :sweat_smile: I have yet to try it, but I think I’d rather do it with an oldskool guitar tuner on some analog synths. The differences I heard on guitar did sound/feel slightly more natural and pleasing to me. Although it feels subtle, it feels undesirable to go back to 440hz after doing a side by side…well for me at least.

“I’m not the Messiah” !

5 Likes

The mockery is not about the specific frequency.
The mockery is directed at the claim

" Y cycles per second is better than X cycles per second"

That claim is Complete nonsense.

Spotting parallels in numbers is just coincidence, which tends to be meaningful as fuck when youre on psychedelics…

I only get out of bed at 6.06 am…

Tune your instruments however you want, believe whay ever you want. Ultimatley None of it matters.

1 Like

gourd

3 Likes

…this good old question again…must be a generational cosmic meets esotheric meets all the galaxies in the whole wide universe looptrap kind of thing…meanwhile, sure, vibration is, was and always will be everything…either 'n anyways.

1 Like

Interesting thread. All my Digitone projects are kept at A440, which is the frequency used to tune the students’ violins.

Changing the tuning of acoustical instruments frequently changes the relative tuning of the overtones. This is not, to my knowledge, the case with electronic instruments.

Some orchestras are playing at 442, while at the same time using instruments designed to play at 440. “Lipping up” on wind and brass instruments tends to darken the sound, and since “darker” sounds tend to be more valued in the current orchestral milieu, the tendency for pitch to rise becomes a real thing. IMHO this trend has robbed wind and brass playing of its individual characteristics. For example, orchestral clarinet tone has become homogenized. I spoke with a married couple, both professional clarinetists. They had a large collection of old recordings. They could identify orchestras of old by the distinctive sound of their principal clarinetists. They told me that, nowadays, “everybody sounds the same.” I think the rising pitch has a lot to do with this.

As I mentioned, tone color doesn’t really change with electronic instruments. I suppose certain analog circuits could have some non-linear response that might change tone-color, dynamics or whatever, when the pitch standard was changed.

I am more interested in how the movement toward equal temperament changed the course of music. During the age of natural temperaments, different keys had different frequency relationships among the scale degrees, causing different keys to have different “affects”. Some musicians will tell you that Eb major is “heroic”, for example. Centuries ago, some composers may have also felt this way, writing heroic sounding music in Eb major. I saw a live demonstration where a musicologist tuned a keyboard to natural tuning and played a series of preludes and fugues from Bach’s “Well Tempered Clavier”. The thrust of the demonstration was to show how Bach accentuated, in his writing, some of the dissonances that would have like likely existed on his own keyboard at the time.

I am curious what playing at-or-near multiples of the 60 Hz alternating current…does to us. I tried it once with the electric guitar, peering into a florescent light bulb while playing at 60Hz. Something akin to a stroboscopic effect happened, I think.

I find the numerology of 441 to be interesting. Consider This set of odd harmonics.

G = 49Hz (7 x 7 x 1)
D = 147Hz (7 x 7 x 3)
B = 245 Hz (7 x 7 x 5)
F = 343 Hz (7 x 7 x 7)
A = 441 Hz (7 x 7 x 9)
C# = 539 Hz (7 x 7 x 11)
E = 637 Hz (7 x 7 x 13)

I must stop here, before I am descended upon by some Illuminati hit-squad.

2 Likes

Chatgpt must have misinterpreted the question. It’s actually closer to 32 cents, roughly 1/3 a semitone

Exactly what they would say

1 Like

Tuning systems are a much more interesting and useful topic of conversation.

4 Likes

Yes indeed.

Why would you succumb to the fake sound healing narrative? sound can heal, but it’s not linked to the choice of the tuning frequency, but the correlation of pitches to each other. you can choose any starting point. Loved me some 444 tunes.
Standard means that people can play together, though.
The more mind numbing stuff happens with the equal temperament, fixed choice of 12 notes, with no way for some instruments to affect this choice in performance (piano i.e.). This caused more damage to the perception of harmony than anything else (apart from burning you at the stake for tritone usage).
Some frequencies are more equal? Nah…

1 Like

I bought some white trainers the other day.

Fuck me they’re white. So white I had to stay clear of runways for a bit.

All my mates took the piss out of my ridiculous white trainers, as all mates should.

Then I stood in dog shit.

I think maybe my shoes were vibrating the wrong kind of white into the universe or something.

3 Likes

Especially when you add a perfect fifth.

1 Like