What frequency do you tune your A4 to? (440hz / 432hz)

From all your insite I’ve come across on the forum I know your a very intelligent, rational being. But there is no answer to this and people should be able to talk about it if they wish. I know you’ve helped countless people here, but as a moderator you should be, well, moderate…

1 Like

Moderate in conduct, language, yes, the rules that apply to all apply equally to the moderators … but just like everyone else I am allowed to have and voice an opinion (albeit with the left hand) … there’s nothing in the guidelines about dry humour :wink: … if there was a thread about the ‘flat earth’ i’d feel the same way

however, you are absolutely right, and that is why I’d already got a telling-off from a moderator beforehand; freedom of speech means freedom to talk about anything (within reason and following the guidelines) …

we all have buttons

4 Likes

I completely respect your opinion, and yeah, I was just saying not to mix up your personal views with your role as a moderator view, so please express yourself, but no need to close the thread. Again, your input is highly valued here, so nothing personal, just sayin…

Edit: feel free to move or delete these posts if you want to keep the thread concise.

2 Likes

does anyone know how to change hertz on octatrack?

Octatrack isnt that kind of sampler. It doesnt have fine tuning increments small enough to detune by cents.

If you have access to ableton, simpler (or sampler) offers tuning in cents.

But remember, tuning a sample is not the same as tuning an oscilator, or group of oscilators. Even if you are using single cycle waveforms.

2 Likes

At 103.1 (103.125) bpm, OT is tuned at A440 Hz for retrigs. :content:
Fine-tune is possible with lfos, possible to resample. But I’d rather tune in a DAW before too.

1 Like

thank you bro…I was into binaural beats which use manipulation of hertz and pan programming. you know how can I take 6 seconds of sample clip and…stretch it into more like a minute in the octatrack?

thank you!

1 Like

This topic is in A4 category!

Yes with RATE. If you want to timestrech, use RATE wirh TSTR mode (SRC/PLAYBACK SETUP).
With Hertz, you just mean pitch or you care about the exact frequency in Hertz?

2 Likes

Thank you so much! you make my day!

1 Like

When I pray to God before turning on my A4 it sounds better, warmer, and organic, like aligned with all my chakras.

1 Like

For anyone getting discouraged by all the hate on this subject… there are people who realize our whole reality is made out of frequency and know about the power and importance of specific frequencies. Those who make a mockery of it probably don’t realize they are doing a disservice to mankind.

Frequency is just a measurement. How often something happens. Thats it.

9 Likes

Found a great article about this referenced in a recent Create Digital Music article about resonant frequencies.

1 Like

you could also say our senses are limited measuring devices and our brains interpret electric signals as a certain sense whenever a frequency is within the measurable range.

So you could say your whole concept of reality is a measurement.

2 Likes
8 Likes

@chu er no not really.

Claiming reality is made of frequency simply doesnt make any sense at all.

Its the same as saying ‘Im going to make a car out of inches’

Its literally meaningless.

Frequency = unit of measurement.
Inch = unit of measurement.

Reality is not made of inches, or kilometers, or frequencies or any other unit of measurement.

Reality can be measured using those units, and we can express reality in terms related to those units.

Measure, concept, percept, none of these are the same thing. I think you may be conflating them. It doesnt work.

6 Likes

I hope to not regret diving into this, but in this case, isn’t Hz actually the unit?

4 Likes

Frequent, frequency

Hertz, a unit (of frequency) invented by Hienrich Rudolf Hertz, circa 19th century.

5 Likes

Thank you for your elaboration. I stand corrected. Not a native english speaker here.

I was speaking about *energy, which can be specified in frequency.

What I meant was that the reality we perceive is made up of energy that is vibrating at specific frequencies.

If you have two tuning forks of the same frequency and you hit one, the other one will resonate sympathetically (if in close proximity). When you have two that are off by a couple of hertz this won’t occur. Which kind of illustrates the point of why being specific with frequency can have a profound impact. Mocking it just seems plain stupid. There is so much power in the use of (sound) frequencies the general public has no idea about (we’ll try to stay in the audio domain for now).

On the contrary, it’s all the irrational superstitious bullshit that has held mankind back through the ages and to this day alas.

It’s not mockery to shut down irrational anti-science anti logic nonsense. It’s just the fairest way to disavow those in the wrong of their often dangerous erring.

It applies to much more than this one particular ‘soft’ issue, but the whole 432Hz aot 440Hz thing is just beyond debating honestly. It’s ridiculous. a second is an arbitrary time period, therefore any construct based on it is (I.e the definition of frequency).

Numbers, integers and ratios are magical and hugely meaningful in many ways … the scientific ways

A=432Hz being meaningful as if ‘cosmically’ musical is utter hogwash. It’s not mockery it’s objectively sane and constructive to call it out (and all the fake bs that is used to trick the gullible) there’s no other way. The same way there is no point humouring flat-earthers with a dialogue entertaining their ‘beliefs’

19 Likes