What book are you reading and why

514ltp2M-yL.SX315_BO1,204,203,200
why: your going to have to roll for that answer lol

6 Likes

White Fragility
because I’ve finally started kicking myself out of the passivity I’m privileged to have as an option, and want to learn better ways to reflect and act on where I stand

1 Like

exploring alternatives to the current situation. the ebook is free here
https://www.versobooks.com/books/2426-the-end-of-policing

10 Likes

my next read

Doing my annual reading of Blood Meridian for some of that red hot prose. Also to take my mind off of the real world bullshit happening right now.

5 Likes

Great book. Not overly exhausting, and actually pretty insightful at times.

1 Like

I read a passage from this every few days. Nice to have a second opinion, or some positive reinforcement.

Finished Tanith Lee’s “Nights Master” last week, for the dozen’th time. Book 1 of a gothic series following the family problems of demon kind. Definitely NOT demonic/devil-worshipping of any kind.

1 Like

I too am going back over McCarthy’s Blood Meridian because who doesn’t love senseless violence cloaked in gorgeous prose? I also reread Michael Herr’s Vietnam Nam memoir “Dispatches” frequently for a fix of gonzo war correspondent stuff… it’s where I picked up my moniker.
Also, cookbooks: Surviving the Apocalypse, the 2nd Joe Beef book is fucking killer and I’m cooking my way through the Frankies Spuntino cookbook, which is just flat out great Italian American comfort food. Simple and easy to make.

3 Likes

Came across the author after a Bucky Fuller rabbit hole. Because I miss that line of thinking from the 60’s, doing more with less. To my dismay the latest edition is drastically rewritten from the sample of the first edition I’d read online. Still enjoying it but it doesn’t flow as nicely now imo, he actually kinda corrects himself along the way due to a kind’ve PC revisioning and updating due to modern design practice. But anyway, still enjoying it. I think the best thing we could do today in a lot of ways is dismantle. Love to see cities dismantled, skyscrapers rescinded. Bring the world back into a more human scale enterprise. Continual development is a dead end.

4 Likes

I love Blood Meridian but I think reading it every year would crush me. it’s such a bleak and emotionally draining journey.

3 Likes

I’ve read all the Alastair Reynolds and Iain M Banks -books for now and needed to dive into yet another universe.

(Sometimes I dream of a unified scifi-universe that a lot of writers would dedicate their time into. Having to learn a new set of rules and laws with every new sci-fi writer can be a bit exhaustive. I guess that’s already possible by reading RPG-themed novels like those set in the Battletech universe or the WH40K universe, but from my experience those books aren’t usually very well written.)

Glad to see so much science fiction love in this thread though.

8 Likes

This also in the queue

4 Likes

I‘m reading this one because it‘s very important to know how we‘re being used by the big tech companies especially in social media (and the main reason why I quit almost all of them). It‘s not the easiest read but it’s crucial info

6 Likes

Its how I keep my optimism in check.

1 Like

Umberto Eco’s Foucaults pendulum
cos reading is kush

Before man was, war awaited him,
the ultimate trade awaiting the ultimate practitioner
Interesting character that Judge in Blood Meridian

7 Likes

Currently reading this:

cos my mixes aren’t that great. Probably should get some room treatment, based on the first part of the book :rofl:

Such a great book.

8 Likes

Definitely going to read that

1 Like

Since I’m staring at a screen and my eyesight is starting to go in the last couple years I’ve been really into audiobooks, so I hope that counts…

Just last night I finished Stephen King’s The Stand. Nearly 48 hours of material. I’ve been trying to get through it for years and all it took was world calamity to make it happen.

I’m not sure what’s next but I think it’ll be Evil Has A Name, about the Golden State killer because for some reason I can’t get enough true crime stuff (must have been because I watched Unsolved Mysteries at a young age…) or The Next Pandemic by Ali Khan and William Patrick, for practical reasons…

4 Likes

So, the first time I read “Blood Meridian” was during an intensive language program one summer at Indiana University. I learned how to write Arabic in a day, learning 50-100 Uyghur words per day (theoretically) and that’s ignoring everything else that goes into learning a language. I’d go back to my dorm room and after studying I’d put on the Apocalypse Now soundtrack and read until it was time to sleep. Needless to say, it was an intense summer :slight_smile:

Just re-read BM last year. I’d throw these out to consider if you want to keep it going and deepen your perspective on it.

5 Likes

Marx’s Capital Vol. 2.
Because Vol. 1 was the most accurate description of capitalism’s why and how I’ve ever read.

8 Likes