What book are you reading and why

Too many great recepies :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Check “Indian vegetarian cookery” by Jack Santa Maria if you don’t already have it :hot_pepper:

4 Likes

Advaita Vedanta, Brian Hodgkinson.
Personal interest.

3 Likes

Cool, thanks, I will! Loving the Indian recepies in East so It’d be great to learn more about Indian veggie/vegan cuisine. Also dipping my toes in Middle-Eastern veggie cuisine. Such a revelation to see so many low-cholesterol recepies compared to Western vegetarian options.

1 Like

Let‘s try not to turn this thread into a food blog – but reading a food book as well: The Noma Guide to Fermentation - highly recommended – looking forward to trying this stuff!

3 Likes

Because when if not now…

7 Likes

I need to read that. Probably everyone does!

Were there specific recipes in there? I got the Art of Fermentation when picking between the two and was a little sad it didn’t have much in the way of practical application. It seemed more like a love letter to the ‘art’. Maybe I just picked wrong, not that it wasn’t cool in its own way.

yes, everything’s with instructions. Little tip if you want to try before buy - google z-lib / b.ok

Previously on Elektronauts:

6 Likes

The first time I read Gravity’s Rainbow, my sense of disjunction and non-linearity was enhanced by a hefty chunk of it (maybe 50 pages) being inadvertently bound in again later in the book.

What was disappointing about it?

3 Likes

I can’t read :frowning:

Kidding aside…

I like Sci-Fi

4 Likes

I’m reading this…

I live in Sheffield, UK and in my late 40’s so it’s kinda like a local history as well as giving a backdrop to some of my favourite music from that era.

Amongst other local legends there’s a heap of stuff about the birth of Warp and a rare interview with Rob Gordon.

I’m just over half way through and lovin it so far!

5 Likes

Agency William Gibson
Because it’s the latest one and I’ve read the rest

4 Likes

Well, first I would say either the translation isn’t great or Roedelius isn’t a great writer. But more importantly, the juicy era from let’s say 67-80ish doesn’t offer much depth that I didn’t already know. Finally, it’s not organized or cohesive in any way. Just sort of a smattering of writing, some poems that weren’t translated, some essays, some recollections, some more poems. No real order or sense to it. I mean, it didn’t need to be like p. 1 “I was born in…” But there was just no rhyme or reason.

1 Like

Always seem to have 3 on the go on the kindle.

Currently:
The Master and His Emissary: The Divided Brain and The Making of The Western World by Iain McGilchrist (been reading it for a long time, interrupted by other books. Why? I saw an interview with the author and thought he had a fascinating perspective)

God Bless You Mr Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut (I enjoy his books, they’re wacky and pokey and good fun)

Spaciousness - The Radical Dzogchen of the Vajra Heart, a translation by Keith Dowman (because the Dzogchen teachings are marvellously direct and complete when it comes to evoking the nature of reality :grinning: :bell:)

2 Likes

Agency because I’ve read all of Gibson’s other work already. Curious where he goes.

Cybernetic Hypothesis mostly just to get a taste of the scope of cybernetics.

3 Likes

I promise you, you will not regret it.

1 Like

Have you ever read any of James Rollins sigma series? Plenty of them in the series, and you want to start from the beginning if you do. Great sci-fi techno thrillers. I read the last two this week at the beach.

really uplifting reading

4 Likes