What book are you reading and why

ALSO on my list!

1 Like

If you think vol. 1 and 2 are good, you’re gonna love vol. 3.
The tendency of the rate of profit to fall is used by Marx in vol. 3 to really flesh out a revolutionary interpretation of Capitalism. It is a devastating read today, I can’t imagine reading it all those years ago.

3 Likes

because I love BASS.

9 Likes

I can’t believe I slept on this thread till it got to 60+ posts. I’m currently reading Chaos: Making a New Science by James Gleick. Straight up non-fiction Mathematics book. I heard about chaos theory a year or two ago and have been intrigued by it. Got the book this year for my birthday and dove in.

Enjoyed seeing the folks reading Eckhart Tolle. I started A New Earth but haven’t finished. I need to come back to that one.

6 Likes

The book traces epidemic outbreaks in various regions of the world and is written well. In mid March, I’d found a few lectures from her about the 1918 influenza pandemic and others and took interest in her other work. Why? Self-interest because it’s relevant to me (I should probably finish my bioscience degree) and also I appreciate the work she’s done. Take home, all states bungle public health and pandemic responses to a degree.

2 Likes

Great thread!

I’m reading Douglas Harding’s ‘On Having No Head’ for the second time. It makes me giddy because I can only half comprehend the concept but I know the truth is deep in there somewhere. For a book as thick as your little finger it packs a punch!

on-having-no-head-zen-and-the-rediscovery-of-the-obvious-douglas-harding-1961-1380636779-view-0

2 Likes

I just finished Dune because I’m interested in the forthcoming movie. I can’t say I enjoyed it.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s drier than Melania on date night. Villeneuve should do alright with it though.

2 Likes

I love Lynch’s Dune (directors cut). So many great samples have been pulled from it. My favorite “From my dreams…so beautiful” was used by Future Sound of London.

6 Likes

“L’arca dei suoni perduti” (The ark of lost sounds) by David Monacchi.

A book about the paths and tropical adventures of hi-definition nature sound recording of a great sound ecologist and sound designer from Urbino (Italy) who dedicated at least a decade to his project “Fragments of Extinction”.
https://www.fragmentsofextinction.org/
EDIT: at this page you can watch the documentary about his journey
https://www.fragmentsofextinction.org/dusk-chorus-film/

1 Like

Top book that. I probably should read it again

3 Likes

And Sting as Feyd… :+1::+1:

3 Likes

And Patrick Stewert looking as old as he does now…weird.

1 Like

Haha he’s an Android, no doubts!

I watched it recently. I think it has a lot of problems.

How dare you.

3 Likes

Heretic… I know.

2 Likes

rereading Excession by Iain M. Banks.
Why: I hope we get there some day and listening to the ships talk to each other is great.

https://g.co/kgs/ECshMP

6 Likes

I love that book. Probably my favourite of his, or perhaps Consider Phlebas

1 Like

To be fair, Lynch made an 11 hour film. He just only shared 2¼ hours of it with us.

4 Likes