A little bit annoyed that Waldorf approved all those new features, but didn’t approve renaming of user wavetables!
Also the patch categories would have been nice… Quite don`t understand why something like this was not approved.
Public Service Announcement:
I’ve updated my spreadsheet with tips & tricks from Gearspace Waldorf M thread that have been collected by another user. I will be adding additional tips & tricks as I encounter them.
Here are the updated links (they should remain stable for the foreseeable future).
—SAME AS BEFORE >>>
gsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets…Tgw8M5CTUCmjE/
—OBSOLETE >>>
public / affected by filters in the main sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets…FHFSPy/pubhtml
—NEW >>>
public / NOT affected by filters: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets…24&single=true
public / CSV version: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets…rue&output=csv
I have an M in my closet. I may power it on now
You should, it has been getting better all the time. The UI is a bit sluggish and I miss the mod matrix, but it’s a superbly sounding synth.
how’s everyone’s experience been w/ the new update?
btw, i really appreciated reading the changelog, especially the disclaimer, helped me understand some of the M’s idiosyncrasies:
Disclaimer: This is an unofficial add-on to the M user manual, describing some of extra features
added from firmware 1.05 up to firmware 1.11. This add-on also covers some complex aspects of
the Multi Mode, which remains somewhat unusual.
ps for those of us that use multi mode, check out the Multi-Mode Tips & Tricks section.
Holy fuck.
From time to time I have considered selling the M as I’m broke AF and will need to come up with money somehow. I think it would be a mistake though. When it’s finally finished I will try to commit properly time to learning how to use it well.
Maybe I’ll sell the Moog Matriarch instead as it hasn’t delivered a pleasant surprise in many years, as nice as those bass sounds can be.
My understanding it is maybe one behind one of the gearspace releases and multimode is still buggy with voice allocation and glide, may or may not be an issue for you… but yeah solid is single mode.
Reading the last post on gearsluts, one of the voice allocation requests is less a bug but a misunderstanding. Some things are only possible in multi mode, like setting the voice count so, that the next chord is cutting the release of the chord before. You cannot do this in single mode, you have to be in multi mode for it. You can change the voice number to test different release behavior for chords and arps. You even can edit your sounds in multi mode. The only thing not possible there is saving patches, so all edits there are to perform only. Saving has to be done in single mode first. (maybe this could be adressed in an update).
Once this difference between single and multi mode is clear, it is quite easy to do, i tested it and it works fine as described there.
It is really good now as is. The M is really deep to master, but so so worth it. Don’t give up ![]()
Yes this is very helpful, thanks for linking to it!
I know you’re right. Thanks man!! ![]()
It would be cool to see a thorough tutorial on the deeper aspects of this synth.
Maybe someone will make one now that the FW is already so well developed.
You really have to invest time to get a feeling, for example how do the different times and levels of the FREE ENV modulate things like cutoff. How does it then behave in arps or chord progressions. I made a simple patch in OXI ONE with a chord progression and it is crazy, how different rhythmical things can get by playing with this modulation.
Or get a feeling for the long envelope time, it lets you create very crazy pads.
And i give away a simple but nice mod: try modulating the PAN in the amp page with INVERT and play some notes. The way, voices get placed in the stereo field can’t be achieved with any other mod source as far as i tested.
Things like that. I doubt tutorials help a lot, the M wants you to invest time.
Yeah that guy had bugs I never really was able to recreate, I guess I should retest some of my old projects I was running into ones where the wrong patch would play based on voice allocation settings in multi mode all my with glide acting odd or not at all in multimode
*this seems to be written in the patch notes as known issues
Thank you so much for elaborating! I really appreciate that. ![]()
I updated the FW and I’m ready to jump in.
Just for the record, I must say that even the init sound of the M already is completely amazing.
following the latest conversation there, i think what we have is the latest beta that was posted there.
ditto / much better than when it was initially released. ![]()
Oh my, these new osc modes are heavenly. Now all I need is some MDMA. ![]()
Instantly some amazing textures and I have barely even done anything yet, aside from some mild pitch mod on the osc1.
I’ll certainly never sell this synth.
pmd
