Waldorf Iridium (16-voice, duo-timbral Quantum desktop)

We have the same logic. If I was on a limited budget, I’d get the Hydrasynth. I have both now. I wanted the Iridium, but couldn’t justify the cost, so I got the Hydrasynth. A few months later, someone here offered up a 20% discount coupon (worth up to $500), so I used it, and then was also able to trade in a couple of things I wasn’t using to get the cost of the Iridium down to something more manageable. Not surprisingly, if I had to choose one, it would be the Iridium, but the Hydrasynth is really great. Huge variety of sounds, very intuitive and fun to use interface, with tons of easily accessible modulation sources and destinations. I also use the Hydrasynth as my main sound source for the Linnstrument, since it has MPE capabilities, and they, like everything in the hydrasynth, are easily accessible (some boxes can do MPE, but setting it up is either tedious, or not very intuitive).

I almost always use the Iridium with my studio Monitors (which are very good), but I listened to this video using a good pair of Bose headphones connected to my laptop. I forget the very subtle complexity of all of those layers in the Iridium. It almost seems wasted unless you have headphones on. I need to remember this next time I decide to get lost with the Iridium.

1 Like

if they made the multitibral (with different voices over different midi channels) i’d be all over this in a heart beat.

1 Like

Although it isn’t multitimbral, it is bi-timbral (two layers which can be assigned to different midi channels, allowing for keyboard splits, etc.).

Kinda funny video about the Iridium

2 Likes

Finally did a sound pack for the Iridium. This one based on dusty, distorted pads. 50 patches that can all be modulated further with the mod wheel and XY pad.

5 Likes

I want one of these…I think I have to get one of these…just not fully decided on whether to get the desktop or keyboard version…don’t have the space for either really, but it just seems like such a fresh take on an 21st century all-in-one synthesizer…oh boy…:money_with_wings:

Here’s an early demo I did of Iridium’s Live Granular mode, where external audio can be granulized in real-time.

1. Layer 1 on Iridium was responsible for the starting poly patch, while Layer 2 was relegated to the Live Granular process.

2. An AKAI MB76 is being controlled thru CC to reconfigure signal flow via Rytm’s scenes: Scene 8 was remapped (via Blokas.io’s Midihub) to swap the position of Rytm from the end of the chain to the start (allowing it to pass thru Layer 2 on Iridium), while any other scene was set to return it to the end.

3. Rytm’s macro CC’s were also remapped for use in Iridium’s 40 slot mod-matrix:

• Macro 5 controlling the grain size.
  • Macro 6 controlling the potential grain octave range to be randomly selected per note-on message.

For more weirdness, feel free to check out xuiqen.

7 Likes

FWIW – if it had been available when I purchased mine, I definitely would have gone with the keyboard. I’ve used some polyphonic aftertouch controllers with it and it opens up a whole new world of expressiveness (and I guess those controllers are always an option for the desktop, but an integrated option feels more alluring). But I also understand the premium of space – the option to VESA mount the Iridium desktop can help make it even more compact in a lot of situations.

I think quite often about switching them out, but there’s the headache of selling one to fund the other and I just end up thinking it’s not worth the trouble.

2 Likes

Appreciate your input, the keyboard is very tempting indeed…I might just have to get a new desk to fit this one.

something wrong with the iridium!? it is offered a lot on ebay. one only asks for 1300 euros - who knows if that’s a scam. everything I’ve heard so far sounds very thin and plugin-like and kind of harsh on my ears. what do the iridium owners say, please without exaggerating? if it’s just about the sound - is a plugin enough here!? an old virtual analogue virus somehow sounds completely different than iridium. but this engine from the iridium is unbeatable, but if the sound is so-ala, then it’s better to save 2500 euros.

First thing you’ll hear reminds me of a brass section noodling about in key, tho it’s only the chord held on QuNexus playing a largely wavetable patch on Iridium.

At around 2 minutes, I’ll unlatch the chord being held before changing patterns on the Analogs, and the brass section will leave.

Any questions are welcome.

7 Likes

this one is really nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

thank you! :heart:

1 Like

Beautiful track. Wow.

1 Like

Lovely stuff!

1 Like

You got a Bandcamp or anything? Been listening to your YT channel and blown away with what you are doing!

1 Like

@sl1200mk2 + @crybo – truly appreciate both of you listening and sharing such affirming words. :heart:

To answer crybo’s question:

Currently, the only released music for this project is an album I recorded with my roommate at the time. All I had then was a Rytm, and pressed him to pickup a Digitakt, as I wanted a non-repeatable product, and the most immediate way to do so at the time was to involve a collaborator.

Each composition began on the AR and later incorporated him on the DT the weekend before recording.

He later prioritized other things, moving away to Kansas and rather than change the name of the project that I’d started + spent a fair amount of time making content for that I wished to still gig (as well as having built a following with), I’ve continued gigging under the name while slowly building (+ becoming fluent with) a rig to achieve something truer to my initial aim, which is something akin to Nils Frahm meets Autechre.

If you follow my xuiqen thread, you’ll be notified of the release when it happens.

2 Likes

Korg USA Warehouse Outlet on Reverb has 6 more B-Stock Iridiums for sale for $1500. Mine just got here today and is in excellent condition with original box, manual and power supply.

Korg evidently does the repairs for Waldorf in the USA.

5 Likes

Craziness.