Waldorf Iridium (16-voice, duo-timbral Quantum desktop)

Thanks Jukka. I’ll check out TJ’s video. Apparently, you can just set “pitch bend” in the Oscillators to “0” and then use x axis as a mod source for other things just fine in 3.0. I will try that. I do understand how you can set the Linnstrument to either after touch or pressure, I just hadn’t tried “aftertouch” as a mod source on the Iridium yet.

1 Like

Background information on MPE, that you probably already know.

In standard MIDI, without using MPE, MIDI Message 0xAn (Poly Aftertouch) contains the Note value, so that message distinguishes between the different notes being played simultaneously without using separate MPE MIDI channels.

MPE instead uses MIDI Message 0xDn (Channel Pressure, or Channel Aftertouch) to transmit that information. This message does not contain the Note value, and so in MPE the messages are transmitted in separate MIDI channels to distinguish which MIDI note that aftertouch is attached.

Using a Poly Aftertouch message in separate MPE MIDI channels, would contain redundant information about the Note to which it is being applied. Therefore the Channel Pressure message is used instead in MPE to make the message, which streams in abundance, smaller and more efficient.

ADDED : Put in the hexadecimal symbol ‘0x’. Note the little lower case ‘n’ is the channel number in a MIDI command byte.

3 Likes

Very helpful, as always Jukka. Thanks!

2 Likes

It’s probably time for another wishlist post. What features do you want to see in the Iridium?

For me, the #1 feature would be some type of audio rate modulation between the oscillators.
While the Kernels mode is a cool rabbit hole to get lost in, it’s also very menu heavy.

With my setup of using the PRO3 to drive things with CV, I get many cool results that the engine is capable of. IOW if you could map an OSC to CV, you could do a lot of fun stuff with that.

For example, OSC1 as a wavetable, OSC2 as a sine, route OSC2 to modulate the filter cutoff.
I can get the engine to do something very close by using the PRO3 to provide the sine and sending it to CV1. Once I do that, I just map CV1 to the filter cutoff. While it’s not 100% audio rate (our best current estimate is 11Khz is the max) it’s still really cool to explore. <<<< Ok, I just realized that if the CV polling rate could be increased to true audio rate, that would be my #1 request :slight_smile:

So my thinking is that if the Iridium can modulate so many things with CV (to a very fast rate), then why not make that internal routing possible? I believe most (if not all) the processing is on applying the modulation.

2 Likes

AT the least, PM/FM would be cool. Using the granular engine as a mod source would be interesting.

My IK is on 2.8.2, which Waldorf tells me, “includes all improvements from OS 3.0 BETA 12 for Quantum and Iridium Desktop.” I have an expression pedal plugged into the control jack and a sustain pedal plugged into the sustain jack. In the mod matrix, when I choose “Expression”’ for source, I get no modulation from the expression pedal, but when I select “Pedal,” then the expression medal modulates per my mod settings. The sustain pedal continues to sustain as usual. I get the same behavior without the sustain pedal attached.

Is it a bug that the mod matrix only recognizes my expression pedal as “Pedal,” not “Expression”? I’ve done the calibration routine in globals, but it gives no positive feedback.

As someone considering replacing my Wavestate with an Iridium, what should I be aware of?

I’ve watched reviews, feel I have a basic grasp of it’s modes and appreciate its deep and menu-divey.

If you have any questions, I can answer them. Not regarding the Wavestate, though, as I haven’t used one :slight_smile:

I saw that it can sample - can it resample its own performance?

Or do I need to capture it with my MPC Live?

Based on my one hour of messing around with wavestate and my months of owning the iridium- Moving from the wave state to the Iridium You might miss wave sequencing (if you ever used that) and that big beautiful bank of sounds but you won’t miss how frustrating it is to use that tiny screen and you’ll love the build quality.

I’ve used my MPC to autosample in everything I used regularly. Doesn’t the Iridium use multisamples too?

The wave sequencing can be good in longer ambient pads, but it’s hard to make them sound significantly different from their source sample.

And the build quality is very lightweight. I was surprised with that.

Also, how well does it work in the Elektron environment? If I have my A4 or MPC Live send out pattern changes, does it respond?

You really need to spend a bit longer with it than that to get the best out of it, although not every synth is for everyone. For pads, ambient and atmospheric sounds, it’s an absolute beast of a synth. Possibly the only true contender to the Access Virus Ti2, it’s that good. Best to check out some of the videos, this one by Crybo (also on here) demonstrates its awesomeness: Waldorf Iridium Dusty Pads - YouTube

2 Likes

Latest one using the Iridium in Bi Timbral mode to make some lovely, atmospheric pad sounds. Again using the bitcrusher for some distortion and grit.
Also thanks JonReade for the shoutout in the previous post.

4 Likes

Iridium and modular in this performance:

1 Like

Anyone run multisampled oscillators through their Iridium? I realize it has a VA engine, but it also has a deeply modulatable synth + sample engine that seems begging to have some Oberheim, Roland, Moog, Dreadbox oscillators run through it.

I sold off some stuff after falling in love with the M and spent money I don’t have on an Iridium to go with it. It’s on the way.

1 Like

After 2 years of GASing hard, I finally gave in and ordered this beauty. Should be here on Tuesday.

6 Likes

It’s amazing to use - and the build quality is out of this world - compared to other ‘plastic boxes’ - enjoy :blush:

1 Like

I’ve had mine now for about 8 months. No regrets, despite it’s price–definitely worth the cost. Of the many different “boxes” I own, the Iridium is my favorite to use–it really gets at why hardware is so great–it is so immediate, hands on, and laid out so intuitively, it doesn’t stump you with anywhere close to the complexity it truly offers. I could do pretty much everything I do on the Iridium in the world of VSTs in my DAW, but I’d have to use several (I don’t have Falcon), but it wouldn’t be anywhere close to as inspiring.

3 Likes

Was thinking of either one of these or a Hydrasynth (to save money)