Waldorf Iridium (16-voice, duo-timbral Quantum desktop)

Oops, forgot the link!

4 Likes

Thanks for that. I was just looking at getting one and this nudged me over the edge.

4 Likes

Youā€™re welcome/Iā€™m sorry!

1 Like

Anyone wanna get rid of his Quantum :slight_smile: ?

1 Like

Oh dear lordā€¦ give me the strength to resist. This probably isnā€™t going to end well though.

5 Likes

Iā€™d snap one up in a second, but Iā€™m from the UK and may end up paying heavy tax duty etc., so it could end up the same price as a mint second hand unit from the UKā€¦worth the riskā€¦hmmmm.

That is a steal, assuming they are in good working order. I was surprised to see another seller with a price of $2039 for a brand new (unopened) Iridium. I thought they were still going for a firm $2,699. I paid less for mine, only because someone here was giving away a $500 coupon at Guitar Center.

2 Likes

How does the mighty Quantum compare to the Virus TI2? I know it has the updated color OLED screen but in terms of polyphony, FX engine, multi-timbral capability and support for new Mac OS X and Windows versions how does it fare? Virus to me still is one of the undisputed kings of the VA polyphony synth world in spite of its age and limits with software and crude user interface.

Just pulled the trigger on this. I know the M is widely regarded as ā€œbetter soundingā€ with the analog filter but after three months I still feel like Iā€™m fighting with it. I just felt like the filter didnā€™t respond the way I expected and modulation was kind of tedious.

When I had an Iridium I really enjoyed it, felt easy to dial in the sounds I heard in my head. Only sold it because of moving expenses and replaced with an M last year after hearing so many good things (and it was $600 cheaper)

@sacguy71 I loved my virus ti when I used it in the 2010s, and I loved my iridium last year. These days Iā€™d pick the iridium because the interface is easier, I have specific outboard effects Iā€™d be using, and I donā€™t care about the extra polyphony or multitimbrality.

2 Likes

Cool so how would you rate the M against the Iridium? I want a Waldorf synth in the future and trying to decide between the M and the Iridium. Price is not the deciding factor. Yeah Virus has weak interface but killer sound and polyphony which is why I bought it in 2022.

I mean all three of these synths have a bunch of crossover in sound and functionality so you probably donā€™t need two. I would just pick the one that works for your sound and programming approach.

Iā€™m going to sell my M now that I bought the Iridium, I donā€™t need the mental overhead of multiple polysynths with wavetables on my desk.

1 Like

Since weā€™re comparing the Waldorfs.

How would people rank the Iridium vs the Blofeld?

1 Like

Or versus the Kyra while we are at it. My take is the M has the better filter and sound and the Iridium/Quantum the user better interface and screen.

I picked up the Kyra as Virus killer since itā€™s virtual analog has a ton of available voices and stacking ability via multis, definitely consider one of the free patch editors to really get the most out of it, the on board effects are underwhelming so just use outboard or ITB fx as needed. There have been many users requesting quality of life updates to the OS, but sadly it sounds like the main developer Waldorf licensed it from moved on to other projects. Itā€™s still a very capable VA and covers a wide sonic territory.

The M is a raw and dirty box with some really unique growls that gives my Pro3 a run for its money. The main developer Vlad has been very active with the user community and supplied lots of small updates extremely frequently, I believe heā€™s close to completing adding all the bells and whistles he can squeeze into the OS, additionally there is a 8 voice expansion that bumps it up to 16 total.

Iridium is an absolute amazing synth, with one of the best UI, if you donā€™t mind the touch screen, it would probably be my desert island synth if my Pro3 didnā€™t fit in my suitcase. Itā€™s so fun to program and get lost in the soundscapes.

So which is right for you? They will all help you write interesting exciting music and are a lot of fun to play. While they are all capable instruments with some tonal overlap, it would probably depend on the genre youā€™re producing. Kyra focused on progressive house trance and deep techno, M for electro, hard techno and gritty chip tune stuff, Iridium for soundscapes, evolving pads and soundtracks.

6 Likes

Well, I let fate take it and turns out this round wasnā€™t for me. I came super close a couple of times to hitting ā€˜Check Outā€™, but didnā€™t do it. That was a great price, but now isnā€™t the time for me. Hopefully some more will pop up in the future.

Hmm well my Virus gets me the trance and electro type stuff already and my Elektrons cover house and techno. Iridium seems like a good bet with the smooth glassy textures and better UI over the M. Ideally Iā€™d love a Quantum to get the Iridium features with a full size keyboard. Iā€™ll save up. Also considering the Prophet 10, mini moog, and ARP 2600, MS20 in the future but no gear for 2023 for me.

I sold my iridium but kept the virus. The granular and fm options on iridium are nice but overall for me virus sounds just better.

1 Like

Good to know! Yea the virus has killer sound. Iā€™m using it stand alone with the iPad touch app.

Bad Gear recently did a video about the kyra and it sounded amazing. It really is an amazing synth plagued by a few questionable UI decisions. Sad that itā€™s not being actively updated.

2 Likes

I guess Alamo Sound Lab forced his hand :slight_smile:

1 Like