Waldorf Iridium (16-voice, duo-timbral Quantum desktop)

In addition to your post…I had contact with Rolf, he will e-mail the beta test group about the (house)rules talking about beta releases.

If you want to become a beta-tester, contact Waldorf support and ask for it.

1 Like

Yep - and please note that I asked his permission before sharing this.

3 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, it was not pointed to you. :slight_smile:

It is meant for Iridium users who want to be a beta-tester.

btw…2.5.4b1 looks very stable.

2 Likes

Is that just the Iridium? Brilliant man.

1 Like

haha, nah. That’s the rytm (drums) and a4 (bass), switching to live granularizing rytm with layer #2 of Iridium around 13 seconds. (Also the pad at 9 seconds is layer #1 on Iridium.)

1 Like

Ahh ok gotcha. Still awesome.

1 Like

It’d be far more awesome if you could lock position to beat divisions lmao

thanks, tho <3

1 Like

My first attempt at ambient with the Iridium, so I named it Ambient1 :slight_smile:

The inspiration was thinking about the unknown.

Gino

13 Likes

Beautiful mate. Very inspiring sounds.

Can’t wait to get a Quantum.

1 Like

@Gino That sounds really wonderful! Is this recorded in one take with one patch?

2 Likes

Thanks! @Leo-iSL @Peter118

Yes - single take - 2 layers of Iridium, with Argon8 added in the 2nd half (the reverse sounding notes). DT for drums.

I was making a patch on the Iridium, and added some chords underneath it on the other layer using Howard Scarr’s “waveformula” patch (I later tweaked his patch a bit).

I liked the sound of it, so I hit record and used the track mutes on the DT to bring things in and out.

4 Likes

Thanks for the warning. I didn´t get a standard vesa mount stand, but an arm and have it pretty much angled. But i will heed your warning and keep an eye on the chassi and display.

Can you please show us what you’re using?

Thanks

Sure; it´s not recommended since i don´t know how good it actually is. And the mount is 10x10 with 7,5x7,5 being smaller holes within. A 10x10 mount does not fit if you don´t put a distance plate between it and the iridium, so that´s what i did; just a 6mm plywood plate.

This is really cheap stuff, only about 30 euros, but it works so far. But i have not checked if it avoids tension in the chassis as described, will do that asap this evening.

https://www.discatonce.se/se/skarm-projektor-tv-fasten/vaggfasten/armar/deltaco-bildskarmsfaste-13-27-gasdriven-svart.php

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

Firmware 3.0 beta released for testing!

From Rolf Wöhrmann :

''Hi

for the first time we are joining the Quantum & Iridium users into a common beta for 3.0. We always said that we built a common platform here to stay and now is the time to start.

Important: Please be aware that 3.0 is in early beta. Many features are still not included and the version might be buggy. Do not use this in mission critical situations. But otherwise: Enjoy!

The Flyspray bug databases for Quantum and Iridium are still distinct. If you have both instruments and you do not have both products visible in Flyspray, please let me know and I’ll fix that.

Now for the content of beta 7:

Sampling

Upon many requests we have merged the add & import actions when selecting samples. Now, there is only an “Add” action and you can switch between the internal Flash drive and external USB or SD card in the top left corner of the file browser. When you have chosen a sample from USB or SD, you will be asked if you like to copy the samples to the internal Flash (recommended) or if you like to keep the samples on the external drive.

The latter was also requested and now it is possible to keep sample on external media. Please keep in mind, that at reloading you need the external drive available.

In case a sample is lost, the sample search dialog will remind you after successful location that you want to save the patch with the new location.

Filter

There is a new digital filter model “Raiser” which we have developed which raises the slope when you add resonance. The sonic effect is that with adding resonance the filter sounds more open or aggressive esp. in ‘dirty’ mode. It’s a nice little variation where the relationship between roll off frequency and resonance peak frequency will drift away from each other a bit. Just give it a try.

Pads for Quantum

As you know the Iridium has a pad matrix instead of a keybed. In order to make patches from Iridium using these pads available for Quantum users there is now an on-screen representation in the Performance screen section. You can play these pads from the screen. There is also the “TriggerSeq” mode in the “Autoplay” screen where Arp & Seq are. It is clear that these screen pads are not the same thing, but although you can fully edit them also in Quantum they are more for compatibility with Iridium.

We still have a long way to go, but we keep moving!’’

Contact Waldorf support for joining the beta firmware.

7 Likes

Checked the iridium now. It hasn´t been mounted on the vesa arm for more than a week, tops, but no chassi disfiguration so far. Screen looks ok, buttons remain in place, everything. Looking at the back, the metal looks straight enough. I think i´m safe, should have shown by now, right?

Just a side note; about the VESA mount here´s what Waldorf themselves write: "Iridium and newer revisions of Kyra have a VESA 75 recepticle on the bottom, that’s the standard that TV supports have. Most VESA supports support two standards at once, one with 75mm and one with 100m distance between the middles of the holes. You will have to get one that has the holes for 75mm only, otherwise that won’t fit.

There should be Vesa mounts with an arm available that can be clamped to the edge of a table, so you can position the anywhere where the arm goes, as long as it’s stable. However, we can’t tell one exact model that fits. When choosing, make sure that this support can carry the weight of your instrument safely.

You will need M4 screws for the VESA holes. Important: The screws that you use for the VESA holes must not be longer than 8mm plus the thickness of the VESA mount. Otherwise, the screws may touch the components on the board which may lead to serious damage and/or injury."

4 Likes

Thanks for the info! Just sent them a mail, really like the idea of the new filter.

On another note! I have two general questions for every owner, one quite funny and one serious.

1. What is the max size of the microsd card one can use in Iridium? (serious question) For Fat32 it´s 32GB so… that´s max, or?
  2. I also want to warn people about inserting the card any angle other than straight from the iridium! I accidentally tried to insert the card, heard a sound like a feather being sprung (like the sound when you eject the card), and then a sound like a small plastic part is bouncing against lots of surfaces at high speed. I though my Iridium spit out the card and looked everywhere for it. I have quite a messy studio so i actually took 1-2 hours looking for it. Very annoying. Then, a week or so ago, i intended to mount the I on the vesa gas arm i bought, and i heard something loose inside it that moved when i rotated the synth.
    After loosing 4 screws of the bottom plate i was able to make an opening and out came the MicroSD card. :slight_smile: So be careful to insert it right!
3 Likes

@mbang I use a 128GB FAT32 micro SD-card in my Iridium. You can use this tool to format it :

http://www.ridgecrop.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

3 Likes

Waldorf Iridium(&Quantum) 3.0 beta 8 with MPE support!

From Rolf Wöhrmann :

Hi

here comes Quantum & Iridium Beta 8. Highly recommended to install as it fixes some stability issues and includes for the first time MPE support.

MPE support is available on all three MIDI ports DIN, USB Host (Controller) & USB Device (Computer). You can activate MPE support individually in Global->MIDI->Inputs. Further, if the MPE Controller send MCM (MPE Configuration Messages) these will be detected and put Quantum/Iridium automatically into MPE mode.

We support an optional second MPE zone and channel ranges can be configures in MIDI settings or will be automatically set from MCM messages. For making use of dual MPE zones it is best to choose “Split” layer mode.

We have tested so far for the Keith McMillen K-Board Pro 4 and we are expecting a Sensel Morph for testing later this month. Feel free to report me any experiences with other MPE Controllers or further suggestions. We are happy to learn.

Contact Waldorf support for joining the beta firmware group.

4 Likes