Waldorf Iridium (16-voice, duo-timbral Quantum desktop)

Did you contact Waldorf support? If they put a VESA mount on the back I would expect to be able to use without harming the synth.

1 Like

Hy phelios, i will contact Waldorf on this matter. It shocked me quite a lot.

In my opinion they should reinforce the backplate with another sturdy metal-plate inside over the length of the synth.

Funny you mentioned this because this morning I was looking into a Vesa Desktop stand for the Iridum (future purchase) and I saw a photo of the Iridium back panel holes. Immediately I thought it didnā€™t look sturdy enough.

I havenā€™t had any problems with mine on a vesa mount.

What are you seeing exactly?

I wish it had 100mm spaced holes as 75mm is quite small for a device this size.
I opted not to use spacers and cut the mounting plate so it had more surface area to contact.

A video from Rolf and Lukas, Waldorf.

I hoped to hear some news about firmware updates, this is more a promotional video.

1 Like

I agree, it was a good overview, but I was really hoping they would show something new.

My main request is a way to filter to only show things in the mod list that are active. I canā€™t tell you how many times Iā€™ve mapped to the wrong osc param because itā€™s not in that mode. Even if they just bolded the text on active targets, it would be a big improvement.

I can see the logic of why it is that way as you can switch osc modes and it keeps all settings, which is nice. But having the mod list be 4 times longer because it always lists all osc settings is a strange design choice IMO.

1 Like

FWIW - Iā€™m asking Waldorf about this so we can confirm the rate that CV works at.
Paul_XYZ on GS did some testing and found it may be as high as 11kHz Gearslutz - View Single Post - Waldorf Iridium

Hi there,

hereā€™s a demo video of a sound pack Iā€™ve just published for Iridium (and Quantum). Itā€™s focussed on Dub & Melodic Techno, Ambient and Electronica. Maybe you find it interesting and if itā€™s only to hear Iridium in action.

If you even consider to buy this pack, make sure to use the Intro-Discount ā€œMYOKARDā€ to get a 25 % off during checkout.
(and sorry for using this board for shameless-self-promo)

9 Likes

Once I can get my hands on an Iridium later this year Iā€™ll certainly pick this up as well. Some lovely patches in there!

2 Likes

@Astrolab - I was wonderingā€¦ if you had to pick one enhancement for the Iridium / Quantum synth engine what would it be?

Anyone can answer, just wanted to ping Astrolab as Iā€™m been enjoying his delivered patches on the Iridium lately.

My most immediates would be:

1. BPM-sync for envelopes, time-based grain params, kernels LFOā€™s.

2. User-wavetables in Kernels.

3. The ability to pull audio from the Right channel to feed a Particle engine with a grain poly count of 1.

4. The ability to feed live audio through Resonator.

3 Likes

I would say ā€¦ an improvement of the Resonator engine (more options to sculpt the sound), an even more accomplished sequencer (more steps, a more intuitive modulations mapping ā€¦), maybe new effects.

Thatā€™s pretty all, knowing that these synths are already milestones in the synthesizers history :pray:

5 Likes

+1 to this: I love the Resonator engine, but I find it easy to exhaust its possibilities. Maybe some waveguide options? More options to shape the exciter?

Re: effects, I would love to be able to use the Digital Former as an effect. Ideally, Iā€™d like to be able to use one in the filter section and another in the effect section, but if thatā€™s not possible, then route it to effects section.

1 Like

Wow that sounds great.

1 Like

Some enhancements I would like to see in the sequencer in a future firmware update :

• 64 (or better 128 steps)
  • polyphonic per step
  • possible to latch the sequencer/arp with a external midi keyboard.
2 Likes

IE. Without the ability to quantize mod depths to musically relevant time values, itā€™s rather difficult to create dynamic patches while staying musical.

I want to love Iridium (and I often do), but itā€™s absolutely crippled in this regard:

2 Likes

Please excuse my ignorance here, but arenā€™t the LFOā€™s and Komplex modulator sync-able?
What techniques do you have in mind that do not work on the iridium?
For example, having an LFO at 1/8th beats driving the LPF to get a sidechaining-like effect.
I know the Iridium can do that, so is that not a ā€œBPM-syncā€ modulation?

Also what can you do with BPM synced envelopes? The way I think about it, envelopes are triggered per note. I donā€™t have any synths that do synced envelopes, so please enlighten me, Iā€™m genuinely interested :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Gino

As the buffer is constantly updating while in Live Granular mode, position effectively becomes delay, and not being able to filter out things like 1.7/8th notes (425ms @ 120), a slew of transients can easily get shifted off your desired grid.

One option for working around this is the param-sequencer, but as milliseconds are of course not influenced by BPM, you wonā€™t be able to change the BPM mid-performance. Nor will one patch be suitable for more than one track, which could (and likely will) lead to a lot of similar patch programs for accommodating different BPMā€™s.

And even still, the param sequencer isnā€™t polyphonic, nor does the param sequencer have a random mode.

Another option would be to use KM, but I generally prefer to lock value shifts to gates. KM also doesnā€™t give you a modulate-able ā€œphase offsetā€ control which limits your ability to re-order the list.

As for envelope-stages, the same principle applies. Say you want to dial in an attack value of a quarter note. Fine. Thatā€™s easily done, but when you have the modulation overhead that Iridium gives you, I donā€™t ever feel satisfied with sticking to one articulation ā€” this is especially true with chords.

Then enter looping envelopes. Iā€™d love little more than to be able to discretely address and modulate lengths of stages while staying confined to values that are musically relevant to the track Iā€™m producing.

Bonus qualm:

• Why isnā€™t the envelope delay param a potential mod destination?
2 Likes

Additionally to what has already been mentioned:

• Iā€™d love to see sidechain-inputs in the compressor section so that it can be controlled by incoming audio.
  • Also I a nice shimmer reverb (or at least a pitch shifter in the effect section to build one) would be nice. That being said, Iā€™d also wish for
  • a more flexible effect routing

Hey everyone,

In testing beta 2.5.4 I found something very cool.

In loopops video at 54:29 https://youtu.be/5HP-fmyt0y4 he shows that the mod destination does not carry through when you press the ā€œgo to matrixā€ button. It does now!

I know itā€™s a little thing, but it made a big difference for making mods.

3 Likes