Waldorf Iridium (16-voice, duo-timbral Quantum desktop)

MPE is a good addition, but I’m more excited about this :slight_smile:

• Modulation Matrix
    • Copy & Paste for single modulation slots
2 Likes

super exciting!

1 Like

I just re-bookmarked this thread.

1 Like

Just popping in to say that while there’ve been a few times where I’ve found myself questioning whether this was the best aesthetic fit for my project (where a Rev2 would’ve been effortlessly employed), I feel as though things are finally clicking in a big way. Couldn’t possibly be happier with this thing. :heart:

12 Likes

That’s lovely - all Iridium?

1 Like

oh, nah. :sweat_smile:

Rytm (three tracks):

• Kick
  • Snare
  • filter pings into filtered reverb

A4 (one track):

• super sparse plucks (29 seconds)

Iridium (1 layer – wavetable/ resonator/ kernels):

• wavetable-y bass & mids (at times reminds me of stretched lower-register piano stuff.)
  • articulations/ tones reminiscent of a trombone + plunger-mute in the highs. (due to resonator)
  • receded glitches (used to excite the resonator engine)
2 Likes

Aha, cool, well it sounds lovely. One day I’ll probably end up getting one of these, I can see it in my destiny :joy:

1 Like

Haha, I feel you. :smiley:

Really not sure which I’d recommend more highly at this point – I started with the Rytm back in '17, then A4 in '18, and then Iridium last year.

3 Likes

Nice, I have the A4 and it’s pretty great once you get into it. Don’t have a Rytm but I’ll probably pick one up one day to complete my set of modern Elektrons lol. Iridium… maybe if I get drunk one day :joy:

2 Likes

another patch :slight_smile::

7 Likes

In Perform Mode does the Iridium/Quantum have Smooth Sound Transitions, like on a Korg Kronos?

Do you mean patch interpolation?

The closest thing you’ve got to that is the XY pad: You get both an X and Y value (can either be bipolar or unipolar) as mod sources to distribute through the 40 slot mod matrix. Each slot has its own dedicated scale source slot, so I’d personally consider it an 80 slot matrix.

That gives you a lot of potential for smoothly transitioning to 4 distinct regions, etc.

1 Like

No sorry.

I meant notes and fx continue when switching programmes. I think the Wavestate has this too.

I didn’t realise the Iridium/Quantum had a Perform Mode, so wondered if it would work in a similar way.

Thanks

AH, ok no. It takes a bit to load different patches. Load times also depend on the amount of samples it needs to load as well, BUT you can setup program change messages to switch programs. You just need to set up your favorites list before doing so.

1 Like

Thanks for clarification.

1 Like

Went ahead and made some adjustments, added some XY pad action and recorded a video:
(No external processing occurred, this is all straight Iridium.)

7 Likes

Lovely. So much movement!

1 Like

Thanks, bud. :slight_smile:

That’s only 25 active mod slots, and only 9 have a controller engaged.

I might record another vid of just mucking about with the XY pad while it’s going. There’s a lot of interesting sweet spots in there.

1 Like

Wow, I’m onto something super cool, and will need to post some samples or make a YT video about it.

Basically I’ve been trying to use my Iridium + PRO3 as a kind of monster super synth. I had a breakthrough last night by routing audio through my DAW to both of them. This allows feedback loops that are safe as I have a limiter on it.

The amazing part is sending audio from the PRO3 to the Iridium and back. It creates micro-delay effects and honestly textures I’ve never heard before.

My favorite trick is sending audio to the PRO3 and sending it back to the Iridium as CV. This allows modulating things like the Iridium filter based on its own audio. As the audio is recursively changing itself, its quite generative.

Since I’ve been using 3.0 beta 8, CV has been working significantly better for audio rate modulations. Might be somehow related to the addition of MPE support is my only guess.

Anyway, I’m having a blast exploring audio feedback loops because the Iridium and PRO3 are S class when it comes to their modulation flexibility.

9 Likes

@Gino

I’ve been listening again this morning and I think it’s one of my favourite Iridium sounds I’ve heard. Are there other instruments playing?

I’ve been considering a Polybrute and Super 6 to go with a Quantum/Iridium but for me the Quantum/Iridium provides everything I want.

2 Likes