Waldorf Iridium (16-voice, duo-timbral Quantum desktop)

I’m sorta planning on saving up til the end of the year for a big synth purchase. Not sure whether to go with the Iridium or something that’s more traditional like the UDO. I wanna get better at playing keys so… but I also like crazy sound design… it’s tough.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COd-7HKhpJ5/

Tracker beats -> Iridium real time granular & synth session :star_struck:
—— quick notes:
Iridium is processing percussion from the Tracker in live granular mode as the Tracker is sequencing the Iridium pad simultaneously. Master out from Iridium only.
so cool. so cool.

2 Likes

Found something interesting. If you map “Unisono Idx” in the mod matrix, and add a unison voice layer you can control it independently. That surprised me (in a very good way!)

8 Likes

Iridium Deep Dive with Waldorf

4 Likes

Hmm… is there a randomize sound button combo on the Iridium ?
If not, has it been feature requested?

I don t seem to find demos of bread and butter sounds like basses, leads, chords and so on…
Is it great at this type of sounds?
(Say it can beat Virus Ti at building them?)

Best advice I can give would be to not base your decision to purchase on its ability to do what other instruments can, but rather on its ability to do what what other instruments can’t.

6 Likes

First of all I want to know what IT can do.

1 Like

I’d say you’ve got another 7 years of waiting before someone fully realizes the potential of this engine, tbh. There’s a lot of solid content in this thread tho.

EDIT: Apologies if either of ^these responses sounded at all snarky — I appreciate that it’s an expensive purchase, and that it would be nice to know if it can cover ground that other instruments can, but I don’t personally think it warrants the price tag if its considerable modulation overhead isn’t being leveraged.

4 Likes

Thanks for these. Imported them into my new Iridium… ! (latest firmware)
Unfortunately all the controls were greyed out on every preset.
Didn’t do anything odd really. The import went smooth and efficiently.
But couldn’t modulate or control any of the parameters.
Thoughts? Fix?

*sidebar, any other links to dx7 presets ? is there a specific iridium patch converter for being able to change any dx7 sysex files to .qpat files?
Thanks again to the original poster!

Just imported the DX7 patches. I can use all controls.

2 Likes

It only converts the patch to the algorithm, found under edit. It doesn’t map your macros for you.

2 Likes

@vvilms ahh. I see. coool. good to know. thanks. well, I won’t be remapping 138+ presets of macros. they for sure sound cool either way. cheers.

@Peter118 - all your macros are live upon import then ?

1 Like

I thought they were, but don’t.

1 Like

Ever since quantum was released it seemed like a perfect sound designer’s dream to me and on the wish list to own sometime in my life. And then iridium came and the form factor also became perfect. And also at a slightly friendlier price.

Obviously this instrument is great for ambient and naturally most YouTube videos will show this side of it. I also realize it is vast and so deep that you can dream up pretty much anything. Still, I’m looking for some more dark, techno atmosphere like sound design examples.

Anybody have some or found some of these?

Cheers

1 Like

He’s got it on with the rattle box … not hard techno, but good stuff

2 Likes

I purchased this: https://youtu.be/6UyQgPfwYwg

1 Like

Yeah saw that one. Dub area is definitely one of the reasons I’m very interested in it. But also dark environments, machinery like sounds etc. Haven’t seen much of those sounds yet though I’m certain it can do that as it’s very capable with all its modulation possibilities and especially the kernal oscillator mode.

That dude is really good. Love it!

Still a bit torn between hydra and this one. Hydra is a bit more hands on and also a vast playground. Still. Iridium explores newer territory

2 Likes

Maybe a Access Virus TI(2)? That’s a sound design dream, and 16-timbral too.