Waldorf Iridium (16-voice, duo-timbral Quantum desktop)

Just imported the DX7 patches. I can use all controls.

2 Likes

It only converts the patch to the algorithm, found under edit. It doesnā€™t map your macros for you.

2 Likes

@vvilms ahh. I see. coool. good to know. thanks. well, I wonā€™t be remapping 138+ presets of macros. they for sure sound cool either way. cheers.

@Peter118 - all your macros are live upon import then ?

1 Like

I thought they were, but donā€™t.

1 Like

Ever since quantum was released it seemed like a perfect sound designerā€™s dream to me and on the wish list to own sometime in my life. And then iridium came and the form factor also became perfect. And also at a slightly friendlier price.

Obviously this instrument is great for ambient and naturally most YouTube videos will show this side of it. I also realize it is vast and so deep that you can dream up pretty much anything. Still, Iā€™m looking for some more dark, techno atmosphere like sound design examples.

Anybody have some or found some of these?

Cheers

1 Like

Heā€™s got it on with the rattle box ā€¦ not hard techno, but good stuff

2 Likes

I purchased this: https://youtu.be/6UyQgPfwYwg

1 Like

Yeah saw that one. Dub area is definitely one of the reasons Iā€™m very interested in it. But also dark environments, machinery like sounds etc. Havenā€™t seen much of those sounds yet though Iā€™m certain it can do that as itā€™s very capable with all its modulation possibilities and especially the kernal oscillator mode.

That dude is really good. Love it!

Still a bit torn between hydra and this one. Hydra is a bit more hands on and also a vast playground. Still. Iridium explores newer territory

2 Likes

Maybe a Access Virus TI(2)? Thatā€™s a sound design dream, and 16-timbral too.

From a sound design perspective, Iā€™m pretty impressed with the Modal 8 stuff.

Has Waldorf been releasing good and consistent updates for the Iridium?

Check out CO5MA on YT. He has produced a TON of videos with the Quantum/Iridium and preset packs.

Regarding Hydra vs Iridiumā€¦ I have both, and Iā€™d say the Iridium is not less intuitive to use than the Hydra. Both UI have their strength and weakness. Both are quite versatile and a very broad sonic palette. Advantage for the Iridium though, because you can mangle your own samples, you get resonator synthesis , plus the FM synthesis section is much deeper. The overall sound is expensive, super Hi-Fi and sits well in a mix. I canā€™t tell so much about the Hydra, I just got the Desktop, but it sounds really good too. It seems less defined and high resolved than the Iridium, but I already got sounds out of both, Hydra and Iridium, that are face melting.
Negative about the Iridium is the preset and sample file handling. This needs improvement, and could be improved by an OS update.
Negative about the Hydra is that the UI is a compromise. You have no dedicated control e.g. over the envelopes. You need to press a Button first. On the Iridium you have that. But you have on the other hand no direct control over the FX.
Verdict: If you look for the most synth with the best sound for your money, get the Iridium. If budget is an issue, get the Hydra and add Iridium later. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I donā€™t know their Release Sprint Plans, but so far yes.

1 Like

Great insight, thank you :). I do really like the interface of the hydra. Bit elektronesque.

I think option two is the best :sweat_smile:

Thereā€™s a OS 3.0 on the way. In beta currently. Apparently with pretty big improvements, fixes and additions

3 Likes

Stimming on the Hydra:

2 Likes

That does sound incredible.
Back to square one (no pun intended)

1 Like

Yeah, the kernel mode in Iridium is bonkers. Iridium has a reputation as a clean, modern synth, but Iā€™ve been happy to discover that it can get incredibly gnarly and messed up too.

2 Likes

I donā€™t have a hydra, but can say that the Iridium is a wonderful synth to explore sound design. Itā€™s really held up for me, and is so flexible that it can handle any synth job in a mix. It really took on a whole new level when I started creating my own patches.

5 Likes

Great, I expected as such and thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m looking for in addition to more deep dubby sound design. :slight_smile: . Thanks

@Gino saw a few of your videos. Super helpful, thank you !

2 Likes