Waldorf Iridium (16-voice, duo-timbral Quantum desktop)

Thanks for the clarification Jukka, but even with that as the case, I would much rather have more hands-on control of the synthesis parameters and bring my own pad controller to the party, which I configure to trigger/toggle/activate whichever parts of the synth I choose. Maybe others will feel differently. I just think that this synth looks overall even more unappealing to edit and use than the Quantum, and I don’t understand why they chose to fragment the line by going with a slightly different architecture. Makes the Quantum look like a “whoopsie” step in the wrong direction that they are now correcting.

It does sound gorgeous of course, like all Waldorf products.

Yeah, Rolf talks about this, the idea i guess comes some from [Make Noise] Rene with X and Y direction sequences, and random walks. According to Rolf, it’s like Rene with fewer features.

1 Like

I wasn’t disagreeing with you Hawk. I think the fact that all these pad features can be done on the touch screen, and all those features will be on both Q and I, backs up what you say.

Oh I didn’t think you were disagreeing, I was trying to express that even with the info you shared with me about the designers intent for the pads (which I didn’t know) I still disagree with their decision to include the pads.

1 Like

Yeah I wonder if that is the more or less “single OS” thing coming into play more so, like if the Iridium didn’t have the pads then they wouldn’t be putting resources into making these sequencer/pad functions because the touch screen is a less ideal way to use them and designers generally won’t do design for some external pad controller most people don’t have hooked up… Makes me wonder if the next product in this line will continue the trend with another new hardware interface addition. The touch screen means they can add in control functionality to the older units easily while continuing to be creative with there new hardware designs.

3 Likes

And Rolf definitely implied that there are more with this “platform” as i noted over on the Quantum thread.

Also right at the end of the video Rolf was talking about Waldorf’s low cost hardware, like the Streichfett and Blofeld, and indicated that they are perhaps working on something more at this price-point. It was completely unclear if that has any relationship to this “platform”.

Using my own imagination only – but what about a module sized box like the Blofeld or Streichfett, with a single voice, or other restrictions from this “platform” ?

3 Likes

So from the video Axel Hartmann was involved enough to have come up with the name “Iridium”.

2 Likes

Good to know. I didn’t watch the vid yet just so I don’t hit the buy button at Thomann.

1 Like

Is there a Quantum vs Iridium table somewhere? What more does it offer?

My mate has the Quantum is his studio, it behaves well for recording, “Jack of all trades” kind of thing, plays well with other children, like the Nord Lead synths. But it’s not something I ever feel compelled to play, so what more does the Iridium offer?

3 Likes

Im note sure this is worth the $3000 price tag. What does this do that the Hydrasynth Desktop + $2200 worth of other outboard gear cant? Am I missing something?

3 Likes

There’s not a clear answer to that. There are features being added across the lines, from each to the other, and the detail of that has not been decided.

The physical CV inputs on the back of the Iridium are unique to it.
The second set of audio outputs and the Analog Filters are unique to the Quantum – and obviously the keyboard and wheels.

I think a lot of other differences are TBD.

We’ll see how the specifics on pricing works out. The Waldorf site says 2.300,00 € which should be less than $3000 USD. We’ll see how much Korg adds to the price in the USA.

2 Likes

I think it’ll get a lot of use from three types of people: people who work in film and television, people in the business of making sound packs for people who work in film and television, and people at Waldorf who are busy working on it. People with work to get done. Not so much for fun / play. Maybe I’m reading too much into the antiseptic design. Maybe people are getting used to this kind of unfriendly form from using compact eurorack modules.

1 Like

You know what, I think i’d be happy enough with a Wavestate.

1 Like

Yeah, I would be more interested in an even cheaper version with less voices and maybe a paraphonic analog filter. If they are thinking about MPE maybe they will make a version with something similar to a ContinuuMini on it or something that focuses on less voicings but more expression.

1 Like

Thomann lists the Kyra is 3099AUD (not incl GST or shipping)
and the Iridium at 3399AUD (not incl GST or shipping)
So Store DJ price and others will likely be the same.

Ordered from Sweetwater, should ship June 25th. They were expecting it for gearfest, which was cancelled, of course. Was less than 3k if you asked.

1 Like

Can the Hydra synth sample?

The Iridium has 16 voices and eurorack cv inputs in the back, the Quantum is 8 voice and has an analog filter. Those are the only differences besides the keyboard of course.

2 Likes

I’m surprised they are taking pre-orders when the price hasn’t been established yet.

And For 2200 extra dollars one could find a sampler.