Waldorf Iridium (16-voice, duo-timbral Quantum desktop)

I’ve got sausages for fingers :rofl:

1 Like

So another change between the Quantum and the Iridium is the inclusion of quite a few CV ins.

On the Quantum, they advertise a “control pedal connector also capable of CV input (0-5V sensitivity).” To me this says, oh yeah we realize this should have had more CV connectors, but look you can use the expression pedal if you’re careful.

On the Iridium they clearly decided to put CV ins. On the back it shows:
CV In2 – CV In4 – Clock In – Start In
CV In1 – CV In3 – Gate In – Clock Out

[NOTE: The label of these connectors on the top, has been done in a way that seems to me, counter to normal human factors design, with:

• Bottom on top of top
  • And requiring you to convert in your mind between views.

Perhaps this will get fixed before shipping.]

It’s open for discussion what specific things would be good to include on a CV interface. This is very much dominated with inputs, with only a Clock Out. Granted this is a desktop/rackmount sort of synth so inputs probably should dominate, but there’s still lots on-board that could generate signals including the playable pads.

I could envision having Eurorack gear external to the Iridium, and would think having a choice of having that gear play a subservient role to the Iridium might be good, rather than the Iridium always being subservient to the Eurorack. Of course you can output MIDI from Eurorack, though this is not it’s strength.

[ASIDE: As a Hydrasynth user, i am used to a balance of inputs and output with the CV connectors. But of course the HS doesn’t have a Clock IN in CV.]

I’m wondering if they brought Axel Hartmann in to consult on the design, or if they just took influence from the Quantum design (which was very good imo), and let the engineers do the design on this.

The labeling of the CV inputs on the top panel, which i just mentioned, also seems to me a (minor) gaff.

1 Like

I don’t think Hartmann was in on the design this time. Axel might have decided on a bigger chassis or a drop in knob count. They were inspired by the Quantum but did their own thing. Not a diss. Just an observation. The quantum is still a sexy beast.

1 Like

I wonder about the layout of the pads too. They remind me of something, i’m remembering some gear from a few years back, but not sure what it was. The pads are smaller and have big gaps between them, but perhaps there’s a reason for that, i don’t know exactly how they are to be used/played.

There’s also the big question on how they feel and act too. Pads can be hard to do in regard to feel.

I wonder why they didn’t go with the MWXT design of the past where the knobs tapered in giving you more room?

1 Like

Good thought Geneoart !

Heck you could just take them off entirely, and go for the Moog approach like on the DFAM and Subharmonicon. (Not serious, this is a joke.)

The advantage to larger knobs is in ease of use and ability to get finer adjustment.

2 Likes

I remember watching the sonic state interview where he told Gaz he designed the Sub 37 and Moog Subsequent 37 was inspired by his Sub 37 design and it was Moog designers who designed that.

1 Like

Having worked many years in new product development, i know how resistant engineers can be to bringing in human factors / ergonomics / industrial design people. They get viewed as outsiders who don’t understand the product, and create more work because you have to go in and redesign. The attitude is often, “I know how to do that, we don’t need to bring somebody else in.”

I also know having worked as many years as i have, that some of the best work has come from working closely with those design people !

I agree with you v00d00ppl, they may have had Axel sit this one out. I’m going to have to go back and rewatch the video with Gaz and Axel.

2 Likes

Better get started on slimming those fingers down with a sausage finger diet. I think some fitness places are offering online guided finger workouts with a mini finger gym mailed to your door.

9 Likes

USD$2999 is MAP

10 Likes

This thing looks absolutely gorgeous, the most desirable thing from Waldorf since the Blofeld.

1 Like

I like it better than my Quantum

1 Like

I just ordered one. :slight_smile: Musicstore has it for 2199€ (shipping starts end of july), Thomann 2299€ (shipping starts in 2-5 days).

5 Likes

With the Canadian $ being so low im gonna have to pass but looks amazing really !

1 Like

Manual and quickstart guide are already up: Manual EN.pdf
https://waldorfmusic.weclapp.com/webapp/view/helpdesk/portal/iridium/home.page

3 Likes

I’m reloading most music stores in the states. Anyone find one?

Hargggg , i’ve already ordered the Osmose by Expressive E but think about those 2 instruments used together ! Holly s##t

4 Likes

Oh man, this is the synth for me, but I can’t justify the $3K american this is supposedly going to cost.