Waldorf Iridium (16-voice, duo-timbral Quantum desktop)

So from the video Axel Hartmann was involved enough to have come up with the name “Iridium”.

2 Likes

Good to know. I didn’t watch the vid yet just so I don’t hit the buy button at Thomann.

1 Like

Is there a Quantum vs Iridium table somewhere? What more does it offer?

My mate has the Quantum is his studio, it behaves well for recording, “Jack of all trades” kind of thing, plays well with other children, like the Nord Lead synths. But it’s not something I ever feel compelled to play, so what more does the Iridium offer?

3 Likes

Im note sure this is worth the $3000 price tag. What does this do that the Hydrasynth Desktop + $2200 worth of other outboard gear cant? Am I missing something?

3 Likes

There’s not a clear answer to that. There are features being added across the lines, from each to the other, and the detail of that has not been decided.

The physical CV inputs on the back of the Iridium are unique to it.
The second set of audio outputs and the Analog Filters are unique to the Quantum – and obviously the keyboard and wheels.

I think a lot of other differences are TBD.

We’ll see how the specifics on pricing works out. The Waldorf site says 2.300,00 € which should be less than $3000 USD. We’ll see how much Korg adds to the price in the USA.

2 Likes

I think it’ll get a lot of use from three types of people: people who work in film and television, people in the business of making sound packs for people who work in film and television, and people at Waldorf who are busy working on it. People with work to get done. Not so much for fun / play. Maybe I’m reading too much into the antiseptic design. Maybe people are getting used to this kind of unfriendly form from using compact eurorack modules.

1 Like

You know what, I think i’d be happy enough with a Wavestate.

1 Like

Yeah, I would be more interested in an even cheaper version with less voices and maybe a paraphonic analog filter. If they are thinking about MPE maybe they will make a version with something similar to a ContinuuMini on it or something that focuses on less voicings but more expression.

1 Like

Thomann lists the Kyra is 3099AUD (not incl GST or shipping)
and the Iridium at 3399AUD (not incl GST or shipping)
So Store DJ price and others will likely be the same.

Ordered from Sweetwater, should ship June 25th. They were expecting it for gearfest, which was cancelled, of course. Was less than 3k if you asked.

1 Like

Can the Hydra synth sample?

The Iridium has 16 voices and eurorack cv inputs in the back, the Quantum is 8 voice and has an analog filter. Those are the only differences besides the keyboard of course.

2 Likes

I’m surprised they are taking pre-orders when the price hasn’t been established yet.

And For 2200 extra dollars one could find a sampler.

Alright thanks, I stand corrected :blush:

1 Like

I think I have to sell some things, maybe my blokey as well

If you take into account the Iridium has twice the amount of voices of the Hydra Synth plus does granular synthesis, you’ll need two Hydra Synths and a Tasty Chips GR-1 Synth to match that. I say it’s priced about right. This synth is probably around $2500.

Just checked our Czech store kytary.cz and they currently have Kyra for 1680 EUR, -20% discount incl. VAT.

1 Like

The price is $3000 USD. I paid already. I didn’t pay 3000, though. A bit less.

From the Thomann USA page:

4 Likes