Using pre-configured bank

I resampled the MAIN in T1 (without having T8 as master), then I set R1 in the other bank to be the source of its T1, nothing else. I thought about the level, but the volume didn´t change so much when I set it to 127.

Ah, I thing I understand, so each one of the 8 tracks that are being recorded has to be at 127?

3dB is not much, it’s a slight difference but it counts in the perceived loudness

I meant the level of the new T1 playing the recording.

I’m in a hurry so can’t do a live chat, but in a nutshell, it depends on how you sum and what you record. Start over by setting every setting named GAIN to default. If you now record MAIN, T1 should have it’s LEVEL to 127 (unity) and you should have equal volume. If this weren’t the case the famous " transition trick" wouldn’t work well, and it does. So if you don’t get equal VOLUME there something interfering like a filter, an envellope…

2 Likes

Ok thanks, I´ll check.

I think I found the problem: I was recording the MAIN and I was using my headphones and hearing the CUE :man_facepalming:

1 Like

SOHAM gave me some clues in other place, here you have:

Are slices saved in a part, or a pattern

As soon as [BANK] is pressed a prompt saying “CHOOSE BANK” will appear. Banks with content are
indicated by green <TRIG> LEDs. A red <TRIG> LED indicates the currently active bank. As soon as a bank
is selected the prompt will change to “CHOOSE PATTERN”. Pressing a [TRIG] key now will select a pattern
located in the selected bank. Patterns with content are indicated by green <TRIG> LEDs. A red <TRIG>
LED indicates the currently active pattern. This method of pattern selection allows for quick changes of the
active bank and pattern. If you don’t wish to select a pattern, just release the button combination after the
“CHOOSE PATTERN” prompt appears.

Correct! And if you want to copy banks, you need conennect to the computer or do more steps copy pasting parts and patterns sepparately. I don’t understand why OT don’t have copy paste bank without computer (I would like OT standalone), but that’s how it is

There are some good things in the new boxes like copy/paste pattern, Control All and, of course, the graphical parameters. It would be incredible to have that graphics in the OT!!

You can copy/paste banks using OT’s file manager…

2 Likes

You can copy/paste patterns on the OT you just also have to copy/paste its part if placing it on another bank.

You can get control all like results using scenes but you have to decide which parameters before hand and set the scenes. Scenes are rediculously insanely powerful, you can do far more wild stuff than just changing the same parameter in the same way on all tracks…

You might be able to control all using midi loopback and setting all OT audio tracks to the same channel, never tried…

2 Likes

It had not occurred to me to do it with the file manager, but I like it more than connecting it to the PC.

You go too far! someone will explode their brain thinking about those things hahahah

2 Likes

Whoops… :smile:
You can get the DT graphics by…
Hahah… :wink:

2 Likes

Yes but in DT and DN you can do it faster and without stopping the sound.

I’ll do like I’ve heard nothing about midi loopback XD.

Another cool thing is the DT mixer page, the Octatrack should have one!

1 Like

To avoid level changes when doing stuff like the transition trick, resampling, using cue outputs as “alt 3/4 routing” to external hardware (I noticed that’s something everyone seems to understand here) and the like, I don’t use levels for mixing, but I use amp vol. instead. I leave all levels at 108 (=-3dB) except resampling tracks and the master (127).

Cue levels and track levels are independant and I didn’t see a way to set cue levels “post-fader” in normal mode. So for instance, if you route the main outs AND the cue out to a mixer , in normal mode and “cue mutes track” on, (I find that very useful) you would want to have the exact same volume when switching from main to cue, meaning you would need to set all the cue levels manually to the same value as the track levels. Too much of a hassle for me so I just use amp vol so your cue sends/resampling/transition trick send mix will always be “post-fader”. Pretty much foolproof. I use this routing a lot because I can process subgroups of tracks (adding ext reverbs, or use it to make mute groups). Just one caveat: the amp vol is pre-fx so if you use dynamics processing (compressor, lo-fi and such) inline you need to take that into account.

BTW, I’m starting to set up such a template too. I’ve lost too much time messing up things by trying out new ideas in an existing project and think that I systematically should start fresh, but having a certain number of duties already set-up (transition tricks, some drum&perc kits, FlexiPickups, some midi tracks controlling external gear) and more I think about, more I feel it’s what I need to do right now.

Have you made any progression since?

2 Likes

In case it helps, saving banks and copy/pasting them using the OT file manager is really useful. You can combine project’s banks (all 4 parts and patterns) into one project quite easily. Even with my One Master Project I use I often test things out on a copy or a fresh one, make an awesome bank and when it’s ready paste it to the master project…

3 Likes

I want to start fresh but, as you say, having some things ready to be used in some banks is very useful.

Yesterday I took the Octa to continue setting those banks up and try the transition trick. I started with a Big Shaq sample, laughing around, but then I resampled and sliced a thing and I suddenly was making a 2h hard techno “session” from scratch.

I don´t know what happens with this machine, it gives you superpowers but it´s difficult to keep focus in one thing :rofl:.

6 Likes

Would anyone possibly have a project file for this they could share?

1 Like