Are slices saved in a part, or a pattern

Simple way to achieve this, with 1 sample slot, slice mode, length mode = slices.
Pattern 1, plock LENgth to 128, it will play all slice, hence the whole sample.

4 Likes

That did it!

1 Like

After further experimentation, I found that @sezare56’s method is by far the easiest. The Parts method also seems to work.

But the oddest thing is this:

Create a slice grid, then live-record some slices onto trigs using the Slices Trig Mode (playing the slices on the trig keys like a little keyboard).

Then, open up the slice editor again, and “Delete All Slices.”

The slices are removed from the sample, but your recorded pattern remains. You can even watch it if you hit the AED button again to watch the sample waveform while the pattern plays back. The play head jumps around the waveform. And because you removed the slices, it behaves like an unsliced sample in the rest of your patterns.

This could be handy to use the same sample in different patterns, and also to slice it into different lengths — 64 slices in one pattern, 12 in another for example.

3 Likes

“The Sezare56 method” is always the best an Octatrack can get :wink:

1 Like

Well, I just open a recording buffer, make sure it’s empty, then I set the amount of slices I wish the recording buffer to be divided into, then I create the corresponding linear trigs , which I then mangle like setting pitch shift for each, then I record into the buffer and that works fine. So where is this setup then saved? In the part? Until now I just jam live and record the mains so I didn’t really bother to save anything yet, but maybe one day I come up with a very cool live-mangling set of params and would like to be able to recall that…

Sure it was empty ? I couldn’t find slices after creating slice grid.
These setting can be saved with the sample, you can reload it in any project.
Did you try start points I mentioned ?
@Open_Mike used them too IIRC…

regarding the initial request, why wouldn’t you just save a sample copy so you use unsliced on Pattern 1 and rhodes_copy_sliced.wav on Pattern 2?
i wonder if i’m missing something here myself

That’s what I did initially. I just wondered if there was a way to do it using the same sample.

3 Likes

No need to copy. You can use the same sample in several slots and use different Trim / Slices / Attributes settings. :wink:

Using 1 slot saves RAM (if FLEX), and slots obviously. I avoid part changes too.

3 Likes

thank you for that clarifications @sezare56 and @Mistercharlie
i think i was confused by “Save Sample Settings” menu item. looks like i can easily override those in new sample slot(s)
:raised_hand:

yeah, i like having some spare parts too, but never had shortage of slots

2 Likes

SAVE SAMPLES SETTINGS option create or modify the sample.ot file associated with the sample.wav file. It contains TRIM / SLICES / ATTRIBUTES parameters. Loading a sample in a slot loads these settings. You can modify them, and they’ll be still active and memorized in the slot.

2 Likes

exactly how i got it this time. thank you!

2 Likes

You’re correct, I restarted the OT and the slices were gone, I think I had filled up the buffer with a silent recording. So yes, I’ll save the part with a silent, sliced sample, that’s how it should be done

I don’t think saving part change anything in that case. Saving silent sample with it’s slices, yes.
Maybe you should save different lengths / tempi.
If your recording is shorter, by pressing stop fir example, slices are messed up. You have to reload sample settings.

I much prefer rec trigs method, eventually start points…

Ah… I thought that saving the part would save the associated samples and their attributes as well… That save and recall process is a bit unclear to me yet. I think I’ll need to browse the forum a bit more then.

Projects are autosaved, including banks with their parts / patterns. Saving the project creates backup files you can reload.

Saving part is usefull only if you want to recall them after tweaking.

Trim / Slices / Attributes are autosaved with project settings (slots). You can save your sample settings if you want to use them like this later.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s perfectly clear… 3 phrases that should have been in the printed “Getting Started” booklet. Weird enough, this crucial information is completely omitted. It’s certainly somewhere in the Big Manual, scattered all over the place… but well, “How Do I Save My Work” is a primary concern for anyone that just gets started with a new tool, isn’t it :wink:

2 Likes

Writing good and useful manuals is an art form not every company has mastered yet :wink:

1 Like

(This thread was linked by a current one to explain my 2 month later post :slight_smile:)

Sliced buffers used to remain after power cycle up until 1.25E. After that it was broken and on 1.25H you get left with one slice of no length which really messes things up as if there are no slices OT will revert to using start points instead even in slice mode, with the zero length slice nothing will play. Start points are great though for buffer slices as they change dynamically with sample length allowing you to change bpm after recording, re-record, and still have results in time with the new bpm. Using slices they’re lenght doesn’t stretch with tempo changes and you get strange results with the above scenario…

Supposedly this was fixed in 1.30b but I haven’t heard any reports that it actually was, from release notes:

I’ve never tried to save them to a buffer, prefer start points for buffers in any case.

3 Likes

Is it possible to acess a specific state of slicing information from a sample in one project in an other project? If so how would i do that ? Thx!! =D