Using pre-configured bank

This an answer to a question raised in the “im afraid to resample” topic.

For a long time, I thought that the OT was a complexe machine not so easy to use compose new tracks … until a got a simple idea : designing a template where a few banks would be preconfigured for specific tasks. It is then possible to use the transition trick to “move” the audio from one bank to an other.

For instance, if I work on pattern A1 and need more drum tracks, I will sample it, and use the transition trick to bring it to the bank P which is pre-configured as a drum machine. Once I find a nice beat I will resample the pattern and again bring the audio to the pattern A1.

Here is how it works :
-Bank P is pre-configured as a drum machine. Part 1 is set with 808 samples, part 2 with 909 samples.
-Bank O is pre-configured to work with sliced loop
-Bank N = monosynth using single cycle waveforms.
-Bank M is used to sequence external gear using a single midi-track and to mangle the audio using FX using T1 (thru machine) T2 (neighbourg). T3 & T4 are used to sample T2 on the fly and to slice it.
-Bank L : is used to sequence external gears using 8 midi tracks

-parts 1 of bank L-P are set with default settings.

-Bank A-K are normal bank.

On all banks the transition trick is ready to be used:
-T8 = master track, and is used to record the current pattern.
-T7 is used to playback the record buffer of T8.
-scene 1 is used to switch between the Track 1-7 (current pattern) and the T7
(last pattern sampled).

It just made my OT so efficient and fun to use !

30 Likes

Very Nice!

This is some next level shizzle. Like your thinking.

EX/

Brilliant.

I’ve been starting a new Project every day and experimenting/jamming with no real cohesion between ideas. The majority of my saves use similar slot lists and only use 2 or 3 banks. What a waste!

I’m formatting my CF card and starting over with this approach.

Thanks a million for posting. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It might be,because I’m slow…or because I only have the octa for a couple of weeks(though I understand the machine quite good)
But I can’t see the whole picture with this tip.

I understand what needs to be setup…but can’t get my head around the use of this setup.

Could someone please explain what is so special about this setup…how do you use it?
Maybe even a demo on youtube,

It’s not that I’m lazy…I feel somethings great in this tip, but I can’t see the practical use.

…if you’re sure 'bout what you’re doing when it comes to give away options to mix in detail and be aware of your gain stages, you can have 16 banks with 8 tracks each in use AT ONCE!

and that’s about it.

so if you’re NOT afraid of resampling and can live with ONE stereo stem end of the session, you have endless options to layer and layer and layer…

and it’s another pretty cool example for how many different ways you could think of, how to use and abuse this damned little box…

nice idea. Kind of like mixing down the tracks. I’ve been meaning to try something like this, but I haven’t had the time yet… You have 8 audio tracks, you can record all to a buffer which is setup to play in another part / another pattern. Or you have up to 8 midi tracks with the audio going into a thru, same thing…

Please more details!

Omg I’ve been squeezing my heard around this idea for a week now trying to figure out how to have a workflow of composition and sampling seamlessly but I couldn’t figure it out!

I’m definitely going to be trying this tonight!

Thank you!

A really a couple of questions come to mind…

When in bank P with the scenexfader in the B side, how would you then mix back in the tracks on top of track 7?
Also,
once you’re on bank p and sequences more drums and resampled and send it back to bank A, let’s say you wanna do it again then you back to bank P but there’s already a sequence running there…

I guess you could create 16 empty patterns in each bank with only the single trig on track 7 for playback so you can switch to a new pattern with empty tracks but your buffer is still playing…

This is definitely not a “picked it up right away” skill especially for live performances. I have so much practice to do

1 Like

I’m a total noob so any video or instructions would be great.

1 Like

As long as you don’t have “Silence Tracks” activated in the personalize menu or overridden with the “Start Silent” option in the pattern settings menu which can be done on a per pattern, per track basis, a sample or buffer set to loop will continue playing on its track on any pattern you switch to as long as there is not a trig on that track. So set the buffer to loop and don’t have any trigs on the same track number on your other patterns…

Edit: Ummm, maybe I read your question wrong, I’m not sure… :grin: I’ll leave that there anyway, I was referring to this:

2 Likes

I hope this thread makes people see the value of parts, OT can be 64 devices with different functionality per project!

#Don’tStartWithBlankProjects
#TemplatesMakeYourOT
#PartsRule

7 Likes

Thanks to whomever resurrected this thread, this is amazing.

3 Likes

holy shit… :open_mouth: :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

I :heart: parts

1 Like

Thank the flex overlords at least there’s two of us now… :smile:

1 Like

I hate part changes. :smile:
Btw in my last project I made a special part in Bank P/16 with my favorite settings, 8 Flex with recordings ready to play.
I love to copy that part. :wink:

2 Likes

What part don’t you like?
Parts are my favorite part of the OT.
It must have been upsetting to part with that project…
Anyway don’t my me, just playing my part, it took me awhile to find my part in all this…
“I do” Octatrack, till death do us part…
:grin:

3 Likes

Btw with the One Year Lab Chain challenge, only 1 track and 1 part allowed!

2 Likes