USB problems with my digitakt

i have problems with my digitakt usb connection. Ableton live 11 didnt recognize the usb connection. I changed cables, settings in digitakt, deinstalled OB, installed OB again…

now i found out the the usb connection immediately works as soon i pulled out the audio out cables. when i connect the audio cables again the usb diisconnect.

anybody knows how is this possible? i have no explanation for such a behavior

I really have no idea but I have a hard time believing it’s an issue with digitakt’s USB unless the audio out’s physical connection is somehow shorting the USB connection? A simple test that you can perform is NOT with OB but just using DT as the USB audio source, create a single track USB audio recording directly from DT with your audio out cable still plugged in. So that means selecting DT as your audio source (not via OB) and recording all 8 DT tracks or however many on your test track at the master output down to 1 DAW track.

If you can successfully complete a recording over USB while NOT using OB that means there is nothing physically wrong with DT and it’s unlikely the problem is a setting (that means it could be a bug and a setting may affect it, but it’s unlikely a setting is causing it). If this same setup was working for you previously and there isn’t some change to your physical arrangement or settings that you aren’t telling us about, I’d encourage you to (on the DT) try taking it out of overbridge mode and then re-enable it, also change the setting for usb / midi / usb + midi (so whichever it’s in now, switch it and then switch back to the one that was working previously).

If you’re plugged into a USB hub, try bypassing the hub and go straight into one of your computer’s USB 2.0 ports, if you’ve already done that then tell us if there’s anything else physically in between the DT and the computer.

Really, if you want someone to help you, you’ll really need to state your computer (pc or mac) and operating system, the version of OS would probably help especially if it’s a mac. Also, any kind of changes leading up to the issue would probably be key in figuring out what happened, even if it seems like something trivial or inconsequential.

It is indeed a very strange problem but rarely do these things happen without cause, I for one have never heard of this happening so I don’t know how much I can help and this is still bottom level troubleshooting just one beyond changing cables like you already did. I’m just hoping with some more info on the table, someone else will have a better idea and might be able to aid you in resolving your issue. It could be an overbridge problem, it could be an ableton problem? It seems like it’s a DT problem but right now there’s no way to know. I do, however, agree that it shouldn’t be doing this.

1 Like

Hey thank you for your reply! i have a Mac Mini M1 with Sonoma newest Build. i have an USB hub where all my gear is connected, except my Focusrite 18i8 2nd / Behringer ADA8200 which is connected to the Mac directly. My Digitakt was working without problems all the time. After a warranty repair because of volume knob hiss all this stuff happenned.

• i have changed usb hub
  • i have connected the digitakt with the mac directly: causes cut off all usb connections at the usb hub
  • Changed all kind of cables
  • Overbridge without audio cables work fine
  • non USB midi with audio cables work fine
  • Syntakt and Digitone with the same config work fine

nothing helps except pull out audio cables

i have opened a ticket now but still have hope not to send digitakt away for weeks again :slightly_frowning_face:

Hey, I use a windows computer so not very well versed in Mac stuff but I read a few threads where certain Mac OS had difficulty detecting DT in overbridge and had to do something pretty specific to resolve it. I can look for one of the threads but just to confirm, does digitakt show up in overbridge but not in ableton or does it disappear from both? Also I’d still encourage you to try recording usb direct without overbridge to check for the result. I’m wondering if maybe you’ll have to uninstall and reinstall your asio driver. Elektron support may be able to do technical support without having to send in your machine, hopefully that’s the case.

I’ll look for the threads about dt not detected in OB on Mac and see if any of it is helpful to you.

There were at least these 2.

Also this

Like I said, don’t know if it’s relevant. First thread had the relevant info a ways down I think towards the bottom.

thank you for your findings. i have found someone on reddit with same usb connections problems and the “solution” with pulled out audio outs cables … unfortunately its 5 years old. i will try to contact him…

The only thing I can think of that might cause this is: Settings > Routing > INT TO MAIN
Try toggling that setting on/off?

2 Likes

thank you for your help. unfortunately i have already tried that. still waiting for answer from elektron…

1 Like